#101 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:08 PM

Absolutely. :lol: I just can't wrap my head around this, but I'll stop giving him shit now. I'll pay attention to the draft when the O's pick. Enjoy the draft baseball nerds.

I'll watch the second half, we'll see if I get inspired!

@beginthebegin71

#102 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:58 PM

Maryland's Jake Stinnett goes 45th to the Cubs!

@beginthebegin71

#103 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:54 PM

10313959_10152483639967451_1216124927919

Bpa1heuCUAAz9Vg.jpg

@levineps

#104 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:52 AM

Maryland's Jake Stinnett goes 45th to the Cubs!

Yep. Right where I thought he would go. Watch out for the Cubs and overslots later.
@JeremyMStrain

#105 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:56 AM

MASN: O's Draft This Afternoon

http://www.masnsport...s-os-draft.html

#106 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:00 AM

Sports Illustrated: Analysis of the 1st Round

http://sportsillustr...ound/?eref=sihp

#107 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:06 AM

CBS Sports: The 1st round of the Draft... 5 important things...

http://www.cbssports...mportant-things

CBS Sports: Rd 1 Capsules

http://www.cbssports...t-round-tracker

#108 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:31 PM

@Orioles_Nation The Orioles select LHP Brian Gonzalez, Archbishop McCarthy HS, with the 90th selection in the 3rd round of the draft: http://bit.ly/1rN1Rsv

@levineps

#109 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:36 PM

I admittedly haven't followed as deep as I usually do, but I know nothing about this kid.

Has a commit to Miami, and that's about all I know. Didn't see him in the MLB top 200 prospects.

Someone ask Nick about him, cause I'm having trouble finding anyone with anything to say about him.

@JeremyMStrain

#110 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:43 PM

I admittedly haven't followed as deep as I usually do, but I know nothing about this kid.

Has a commit to Miami, and that's about all I know. Didn't see him in the MLB top 200 prospects.

Someone ask Nick about him, cause I'm having trouble finding anyone with anything to say about him.

Yeah, he was ranked 386 on BA's top-500. But he was listed as 1Bman, rather than LHP. 

BA scouting report: 

Gonzalez is one of the most accomplished high school players in the country, having won three consecutive state championships for powerhouse Archbishop McCarthy, which has produced Alex Avila, Nick Castellanos and Nick Travieso in the last decade. Gonzalez has present stuff and pitchability, while offering limited physical projection. His 87-90 mph fastball touches 91 and plays up with above-average life with downhill plane and gloveside run at its best. He shows feel for a changeup and a curveball that has depth, flashing above-average. Although he has a wrist wrap and plunge in the back, Gonzalez throws easily and is a natural strike thrower with the potential for at least average control. The 6-foot-1, 250-pounder has a strong, durable build made for handling innings. The Miami commit has the stuff and control to profile as a back-end starter.

• BSLChrisStoner and Icterus galbula like this

#111 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:17 PM

Yeah, he was ranked 386 on BA's top-500. But he was listed as 1Bman, rather than LHP. 

BA scouting report: 

Gonzalez is one of the most accomplished high school players in the country, having won three consecutive state championships for powerhouse Archbishop McCarthy, which has produced Alex Avila, Nick Castellanos and Nick Travieso in the last decade. Gonzalez has present stuff and pitchability, while offering limited physical projection. His 87-90 mph fastball touches 91 and plays up with above-average life with downhill plane and gloveside run at its best. He shows feel for a changeup and a curveball that has depth, flashing above-average. Although he has a wrist wrap and plunge in the back, Gonzalez throws easily and is a natural strike thrower with the potential for at least average control. The 6-foot-1, 250-pounder has a strong, durable build made for handling innings. The Miami commit has the stuff and control to profile as a back-end starter.

Thanks. Still kinda shaking my head about it, but I figure I forefit my right to poo-poo picks when I didnt really do the legwork this year.
@JeremyMStrain

#112 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:18 PM

Will I get in trouble if I say he sounds like a left-handed Matt Hobgood?

I am not an expert, but I'm frequently confused by the Orioles draft strategy in rounds 2-5.

He's a HSer with a Miami commit.....so it doesn't seem like he's a $100k guy where they can save some pool money and load up for later.

.......I mean....if you just love the guy....can't you get him in the 7th round?

#113 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:24 PM

The really good news is we don't need to trade for Jeff Smardikalodja because we just drafted him (....I mean Pat Connafgutheara) in the 4th round.

#114 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:26 PM

He's on Twitter btw, @Bigb_Gonzalez.

@levineps

#115 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:40 PM

@MLBDraftTracker 4 (121): @Orioles select Notre Dame RHP Pat Connaughton. http://m.mlb.com/vid...65098/v33242997 … #MLBDraft

Critique away...

• Greg Pappas likes this
@levineps

#116 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:07 PM

5th round pick David Hess BA scouting report: Ranked 267th. 

After pitching out of the bullpen his first two season, Hess has had a strong year while pitching in a hitter's haven. He has a quick arm and hides the ball well, with his 89-93 mph fastball jumping out of his hand, touching 96 at its best with armside run. His slider shows above-average potential but tends to get long with more lateral tilt than horizontal depth. His changeup gives him a viable three-pitch mix. The 6-foot-1, 198-pounder has an athletic build with some strength to his lower half. His size and high-effort delivery have scouts projecting him to end up in the bullpen long-term, though he has thrown strikes consistently (3.2 walks per nine in career with a 2.9 strikeout-walk ratio).

• BSLChrisStoner and Greg Pappas like this

#117 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:31 PM

Interesting article (issue jun 6-20) in Baseball America (couldn't find the link today) where Connaughton is 'mapping out' a plan to sign a baseball contract but go back to school and play basketball his senior year.....so he's not looking at getting into the (now Orioles) system until likely 2015.

"Who knows, maybe there's a future in basketball and testing NBA waters.  Let's see what happens in the baseball draft.  That will determine what I do over the summer, and after that, it's a matter of negotiations to see when I get back to school." - PC

......sounds like a guy that's trying to get bribed away from basketball.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#118 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:36 PM

Interesting article (issue jun 6-20) in Baseball America (couldn't find the link today) where Connaughton is 'mapping out' a plan to sign a baseball contract but go back to school and play basketball his senior year.....so he's not looking at getting into the (now Orioles) system until likely 2015.

"Who knows, maybe there's a future in basketball and testing NBA waters.  Let's see what happens in the baseball draft.  That will determine what I do over the summer, and after that, it's a matter of negotiations to see when I get back to school." - PC

......sounds like a guy that's trying to get bribed away from basketball.

Just playing the leverage game. Guys do this kinda stuff every year.

@JeremyMStrain

#119 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

From Camden Depot (http://camdendepot.b...e-diamonds.html):

Connaughton is very raw Junior who is known far more for his exploits for the Fighting Irish basketball team. However, his frame is not truly NBA quality, which has meant that he has somewhat redirected himself towards baseball. His mechanics are currently a bit of a mess and result in a great deal of wildness. In fact, he has walked more batters this year than he has struck out. That fastball though has flashed in the high 90s and he has shown some feel for a curve. At 6'5 215 and athletic, he may have the ability to be valuable. That said, several reports have suggested that his signing will be highly dependent on him being allowed to finish out his collegiate basketball career. That desire to play hoops could result in him dropping a round or two further. However, it might also provide a chance to save money in the third round and overslot later.

#120 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:53 PM

6th round draft pick Tanner Scott out of Howard College (TX). 184th on BA's top-500

Scott’s older brother Tyler just signed with the Minnesota Vikings after a stellar career as a defensive lineman at Northwestern. Tanner, a strapping lad himself at 6-foot-2, 210 pounds (but about 50 pounds lighter than his brother), has emerged as one of the top arms in Texas’ junior-college ranks after taking an odd route there. The Ohio native originally signed with Division II Notre Dame (Ohio), going 3-5, 5.55 last year before deciding to transfer to Howard (Texas) JC. Scott has shown premium fastball velocity from the left side, touching 97 mph and sitting in the mid-90s at times. The Texas Tech signee also throws a slider, but his delivery remains raw and his repertoire underdeveloped thanks to his lack of pitching experience. He struggled to throw strikes, with 45 walks and 76 strikeouts in 61 innings during the spring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=