Photo

BSL: Green Bay wins in Baltimore; What did we see?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#21 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:16 PM

Dead wrong to think that's the right call with the way they were playing offense...they couldn't run the ball..they had nothing going but the Dallas Clark play.

You have to score points, especially against a good offense.

And on top of that, you call awful, projected plays.

Just horrendous coaching.

If the offense had been playing better...sure, go for it.

But that offense needed something positive to happen.

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,165 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:17 PM

Not sure about Joe outplaying Rodgers. Both QB's numbers look better than how they played IMO.

Wasn't a great game for Joe. He missed several plays that were there to be made. OTOH, he played reasonably well considering the pressure he faced, and not having any run game to balance things out.

#23 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:20 PM

Wasn't a great game for Joe. He missed several plays that were there to be made. OTOH, he played reasonably well considering the pressure he faced, and not having any run game to balance things out.

Joe still tries to make the big play too often.

Not sure about QBr yet but joes rating was way higher than Rodgers today.

3rd down was terrible today...but that's because first and second were so bad.

3rd and 10-15s are too to get.

#24 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

The 2 teams were a combined 8-31 on third down.

#25 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:23 PM

Not sure about Joe outplaying Rodgers. Both QB's numbers look better than how they played IMO.

Yeah, I'm not saying he had a bad game, but he didn't play as well as the passing numbers look IMO. They obviously don't include the fumbles which was a problem for Rodgers too. And lets be honest about their big plays today, they were to wide open guys, two of which were short easy passes that turned into big plays, one was an easy throw to Jones in the middle of the field, and the other was to a wide open receiver deep due to a blown coverage. So those plays make the numbers look good, but they were easy plays for an NFL QB to make other than the deep pass just because you can't call a bomb a gimme.

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:29 PM

Dead wrong to think that's the right call with the way they were playing offense...they couldn't run the ball..they had nothing going but the Dallas Clark play.

You have to score points, especially against a good offense.

And on top of that, you call awful, projected plays.

Just horrendous coaching.

If the offense had been playing better...sure, go for it.

But that offense needed something positive to happen.

Questioning the playcalling I won't argue with you.  But it was undoubtedly the right decision to go for it.  Field goals don't typically beat Green Bay, and the overall risk/reward is far better in terms of going for it than settling for a FG.  The only time it's really justifiable to not go for when you're a yard or less away from the goal line is maybe in the second half when 3 points significantly changes the score in terms of how many possessions you are up or down by.  Like if you're up by 4 or down by 10 or something.  But in the first half of a game you don't expect to be a low scoring affair?  You go for that every single chance you get. 

• mweb08 likes this

#27 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

I agree with Mackus. I don't mind going for 7 there at all, but 4 straight running plays I do mind.

#28 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

32 out of 32 coaches in the league go for it on that 4th down. That's not a bad decision.

Looking back, going for it with 12 seconds isn't great but what are the chances of a turnover that leads to GB being in FG range? Not good. Even if Joe throws a pick there, time either expires or they aren't in FG range. 

So easy to look back in hindsight. But you don't kick a 18 yard FG at home in the first half.

@PeterDiLutis

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,165 posts

Yeah, I'm not saying he had a bad game, but he didn't play as well as the passing numbers look IMO. They obviously don't include the fumbles which was a problem for Rodgers too. And lets be honest about their big plays today, they were to wide open guys, two of which were short easy passes that turned into big plays, one was an easy throw to Jones in the middle of the field, and the other was to a wide open receiver deep due to a blown coverage. So those plays make the numbers look good, but they were easy plays for an NFL QB to make other than the deep pass just because you can't call a bomb a gimme.

Don't disagree at all.

#30 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

Don't disagree at all.

Rodgers wasn't impressive either IMO. If the Ravens are a good team, this is a game they probably should have won considering they were home, Rodgers was off, two of their high level receivers got knocked out in the first half reducing them to 2 WR's, and their best defender was out.

#31 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:46 PM

Not kicking the FG was absolutely the right decision.  It's the height of stupidity to take a 18-yard FG in the first half. 

If you want to question the play calling on that series, that's fine, but no way can you question the decision to go for it on 4th and goal.  The downside of not getting points there is very small, because you've then got them pinned back where you've got a shot at a safety or getting great field position when you get the ball back, which is exactly what happened.

The play where Joe turned it over at the end of the half and led to 3 more points for GB was bad, though.  I didn't even really like the first down call to be aggressive, though it was a bit understandable.  But with 12 seconds left, do you really think you can get two plays off and get inside field goal range?  Best case there is getting one play towards midfield and then being able to take a Hail Mary attempt.

I want those three points for Green Bay back.  I don't want the three points for us on the short-than-extra-point FG attempt.  I don't regret that decision at all.

Yeah. I don't mind the decision there at all. However, the second drive of the game they passed up a 54 yard FG with the wind at Tuckers back, punted instead. And then the end of the half debacle. Those are 6 points right there. 

I don't know why they didn't try something else down there at the goal line. They ran it 4 times to the right. Maybe go left, behind your new guy Monroe? They even had Wagner in there as an extra blocker on the right. They knew exactly where it was going. Ever heard of a decoy? Wagner even held and Rice still couldn't get in. Sad. I'd be making the O-line run sprints until they puke.

@BSLMikeRandall

#32 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

I don't know why they didn't try something else down there at the goal line. They ran it 4 times to the right. Maybe go left, behind your new guy Monroe? They even had Wagner in there as an extra blocker on the right. They knew exactly where it was going. Ever heard of a decoy? Wagner even held and Rice still couldn't get in. Sad. I'd be making the O-line run sprints until they puke.

I don't mind any particular one of those playcalls, but it is frustrating in retrospect to have just bashed it four times there and gotten nowhere.  If you just look at down and distance and then what they ran, none of the calls jump out as terrible decisions, but the sequence definitely makes you a bit frustrated since they couldn't do anything on the ground and didn't try anything aside from just running it straight forward for the most part.

#33 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:05 PM

Rogers QBR: 34.3 Flacco: 29.7

#34 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,555 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:08 PM

No need for a 1,000 word write up. Our offense sucks.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#35 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:26 PM

I blame the poor play calling when they turned it over on downs on Matt Wieters
  • Mike in STL likes this

#36 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:28 PM

Our coaching is atrocious all the way around. Glad that is getting exposed and I haven't even read the game thread or the previous posts in this thread but I better not be the first to call out the coaching.

Everything you can think of:

Game management

Playcalling

Lack of discipline

Lack of adjustments

All of that falls squarely on the coaching staff. If there is one good thing that will come from this season its how mediocre Harbaugh and Caldwell are as coaches. Im not even sure Caldwell is mediocre. Same goes for whoever the hell is coaching our line too(Moeller, Castillo) but they are the smaller fish.

That's not to excuse the poor execution of the players, especially those on the Oline, but they get no help from their coaches.

I missed the Buffalo game so I cant comment on that loss though Ive heard people bitching about the coaching in it but I can say that game mismanagement certainly hurt us today and while it might not have made a difference, the non red flag by Harbaugh in the Denver game was the turning point in that game.

#37 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

Onto the gameplay. You cant win in this game without an Oline or running game. The offense is pathetic. And on top of that the freaking penalties that pushed this team into long to go situations is unacceptable. You top no running game with penalties. There were probably 3 or 4 complete give away offensive possesions in this game because we were in 3rd and 12+ and Joe just had to take something underneath and pray a player could make 4 or 5 people miss.

The defense. Listen, they get after the QB. Cant complain too much. If they keep getting after the QB we will be fine. That said, we get gashed too often on big plays. Its like we play 80% of the plays really well on defense but when the other team hits on a play, they really hit on a play. Big chunks of yards reeled off and it started at the outset on the first possession. So you cant always blame fatigue. 

#38 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:51 PM

Rogers QBR: 34.3 Flacco: 29.7

And this is part of the problem with QBR.

A. Neither QB had much of a chance in this game. Considering how both Olines played today, I would say both were at least mediocre. So, Im supposed to assume an "average" QB would have played better than either of these QBs today. With the pressure both QBs had today I don't think there are Qbs in the NFL who would have played better. Maybe Manning since he is a savant at reading defenses and can call his own plays at will at the LOS. So this goes down as poor games for both QBs when really if you watched the game and considered everything going on around them I don't think anybody could give them less than a C which is  mediocre, or what should be a 50 on the QBR scale.

BTW.....the other thing it shows is the luck factor. Rodgers comes out slightly higher in the grade but had Joe not lost one of his two fumbles which set up 3 points or if Rodgers had lost one of his fumbles then Joe probably grades out equally, if not higher. Too many chance things like that that QBR doesn't measure.

• Mike in STL likes this

#39 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:59 PM

QBR is far from perfect, but it's better than passer rating IMO. I would have to check, but I do think it considers fumbles that aren't lost too. Anyway, neither QB impressed today IMO and that's with the understanding that they had to overcome quite a bit.

#40 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

This is semantics, but I don't equate a C with average, but whatever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=