Photo

BSL: Green Bay wins in Baltimore; What did we see?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:11 PM

BSL: Green Bay wins in Baltimore; What did we see?
http://baltimorespor...-baltimore-see/

The Green Bay Packers are leaving Baltimore 19-17 victors over the Ravens. The Ravens fall to 3-3 on the year, and will now prepare for their last game prior to the bye; next Sunday in Pittsburgh.

What did we see?

1) It continues to surprise me that going from Birk (at the end of his career) to Gradkowski is impacting the Ravens as much as it is. However, Gradkowski is just repeatedly blown off the ball. Of course nobody else on the line is playing particularly well either. After last week, I expected to see Shipley. The inability to run between the tackles is just crushing. Combine that with a pass rush consistently in Flacco's face, and everything with the offense is impacted. Green Bay is not a great pass rushing team, and with Matthews out of action, the performance from the Baltimore O-line was again a disappointment. Flacco was sacked 5 times.

1a) There were a couple of moments today where I picked out Monroe, and thought he stood-up well in pass blocking.

2) The line is playing poorly, and not opening up any running lanes; but I'm not sure Rice or Pierce could explode through the holes right now if they did. I think it is clear that both RB's are dealing with injuries and just trying to gut things out. There is no burst, or suddenness from either one. Neither one is capable of pounding through the tackles right now.  It was good to see signs of life from Rice in the 4th though. Better play design? Also, Rice and Pierce combined for 5 catches for 37 yards.

2a) I'd like to see more pitches outside. I'd also like to see the Ravens spread the field with their receivers vertically, pulling defenders from the box. Baltimore has receivers capable of stretching the field, but again that gets back to giving Flacco time to throw.

3) The Ravens defense continues to improve weekly, with all three units (DL, LB, Secondary) providing contributions. There should be plenty of optimism with this group over what they can do the rest of the year.

3a) The breakout season for Art Jones continued.  Dumervil added 2 sacks.

3b) It certainly helped that J. Jones and Cobb were knocked out of action, but the Ravens Secondary held up pretty well against the various Packers weapons. Lots of single coverage.

3c) Part of the reason the Ravens Secondary generally performed well in 1x1 coverage (outside of Jones and Cobb leaving the game), was that the Front 7 was providing a consistent pass rush. The crowd noise helped things, and Rodgers was impacted by the pocket collapsing in-front of him.

3d) We said the Secondary generally preformed well above, but it is hard to get past the 64 yard TD reception from Nelson. With Jones and Cobb out of the game, you have to make someone outside of Nelson beat you. Webb and others bit on the play fake, and Safety help was no where to be found. After the Ravens made it 19-17; Finley beat Elam on 3rd and 3 for 51 yards to basically end the game.

4) It was good to see Jacoby Jones back in action, good KR on his first play of the day. On the Ravens  second series, he gained 31 yards over the middle. In the 4th Quarter, he ran past his defender to make his catch in the corner of the end zone. Great cap to the Ravens 80 yard drive.

4a) Doss had another strong PR. Doss's 63 yard catch on 4th and 21 gave the Ravens a chance.
4b) With Jones, and Doss; the Ravens may have return weapons the rest of the year.

5) The Ravens aggressively went for it on 4th down in the 2nd Quarter, and as the half was ending; aggressively tried to go down the field. Both plays cost the Ravens points.

6) That 2nd Quarter Goal line series was sad. Despite going heavy, Baltimore was not able to move the line. Thought there was an opportunity to use play action on 2nd down. I would have taken the points, but I had no real problem going for it on 4th down.  I did find trying to again run up the gut to not be overly inspiring.

7) Clark  had a 45 yard gain, and later followed that up with a good catch and move early in the 4th. With 2:04 left, Clark made a very nice reception for the Ravens 2nd TD.

7a) After his 51 yards last week, I was hoping to see Dickson build on that today. Didn't happen.

8) J. Smith had a great interception, immediately followed on the next series by a horrible missed tackle in space.

9) When the Packers took a 9-0 lead with 6 minutes left in the 3rd Quarter, you could empathize with those Ravens fans who thought things might be out of reach for the Ravens at that time. That's not good.

10) The 59 yard catch and run from Brown was great to see. The Rookie has shown an array of skills when he has been on the field.

11) Green Bay obviously came into the game with the strategy of not allowing T. Smith to beat them. (Smith's first catch did not come until late in the 3rd Quarter.) The Ravens can expect to see more of that going forward. If Smith is getting additional coverage on him, there should be opportunities for others. Have to continue to establish the other receivers. The play Brown, and Jones today was a start. Hopefully that can become consistent, with Thompson and Doss also working their way in.

12) Jones' TD made it 16-10 GB with 11:52 remaining. Green Bay answered with a long drive, marching down the field and chewing up time. Eventually Crosby would hit a FG to make it a two possession game with 4:17 left. Part of that is on the Ravens defense. Some credit goes to Rodgers and the Packers offense for making plays. Some blame there falls on the Ravens offense for not doing more on offense. The lack of offensive production placed a lot of cumulative pressure on the Ravens defense. They looked tired on that Packers drive.

13) Baltimore was horrible on 3rd down today, routinely facing 3rd and long.

14) Rodgers made several plays today with his legs.

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,825 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:13 PM

Offense really has to get better.  I think it's mostly on the line.  Receivers have been better than I expected and TEs have come around recently a bit.  Not great, but not killing us.  But the offensive line is just destroying us.  Gradkowski is worthless, Yanda is having the worst season of his career, and KO is regressing after a strong finish to last year.  The upgrade to Monroe looks like a good move and Oher has been ok especially recently, but up the middle is just killing us.

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:14 PM

Both teams were getting heavy pressure on the opposing QB in the 1st Half. Green Bay did a great job of making adjustments. Ravens did not. Just one example of the coaching debacle that this game was for the Ravens.

#4 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,653 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:16 PM

Is it possible that Gradkowski being such a terrible C could be hurting the G's? We need to do something at C and soon. Our offensive line is killing this entire team.

#5 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:17 PM

When do you at least try starting Shipley?

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,825 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:18 PM

When do you at least try starting Shipley?

Two weeks ago, IMO.

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#7 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,653 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:20 PM

Harbaugh won't switch from Gradkowski. It took the guy 15 years to let Cameron go.

#8 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:21 PM

Is it possible that Gradkowski being such a terrible C could be hurting the G's? We need to do something at C and soon. Our offensive line is killing this entire team.

Yes. I tried to pay closer attention to this line today for Monroe, and to see if this was the case. 2 of A.J. Hawks 3 sacks came as he blew by Yanda, babysitting Gradkowski.

• BaltBird 24 likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#9 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,653 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:23 PM

Yes. I tried to pay closer attention to this this line today for Monroe, and to see if this was the case. 2 of A.J. Hawks 3 sacks came as he blew by Yanda, babysitting Gradkowski.

Sad. Just sad.

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

There is zero doubt that Gradkowski's woes have cost both Osemele and Yanda. The center is sort of like the catcher in baseball. It's a very important position. Not only is the middle of the line important - but the center also calls out line adjustments/reads the DLine, etc. This is killing us in more ways than one, and I've been saying it for a few weeks now. Just horrendous.

#11 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,653 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:27 PM

I'd say the entire fan base can see that Gradkowski is, at best, a complete liability for this team. He could single handedly keep us out of the playoffs.

There's no reason not to try Shipley. Harbaugh has to be a moron not to see it.

#12 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

We saw bad coaching and horrible play at center.  Everything else was fine.

@fuzydunlop

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

I'm not that down.

I'm annoyed that we didn't win a winnable game at home against a good team...

But, I'm pleased by the defense... have confidence in ST's being a weapon from here on out.  Think the offense does have play-makers...  and think the O-line will only / can only improve after the bye. Hopefully Rice and Pierce get healthier.

Next week is important though... Pittsburgh is down, but being division foes and the rivalry will keep it close. With them winning today, their confidence will be up as well. That's a big game.

#14 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,653 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:36 PM

Can't lose next week.

#15 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

Can't lose next week.

Not getting my hopes up. Road game, bye week to follow, their minds will be on their vacations.

@BSLMikeRandall

#16 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

I thought we would lose today.

However, Joe outplayed Rodgers and the defense did a very good job vs that offense for most of the game. If you had told me that, I would have thought we would win.

But, coaching was terrible...play calling was horrendous for a lot of the game and not kicking the FG was awful...they also could h kicked a 54 yarder and elected to punt.

We could have easily won which is still some positive....as bad as the offense was, we still do enough to be right there.

It was disappointing that the dline didn't do much in the second half.

This is a team that has no margin for error...GB made a few more big plays and that's what won them the game.

#17 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:06 PM

Oline is really brutal btw.

No idea why there is so much loyalty to Gradkowski.

#18 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:07 PM

I mean, they obviously aren't seeing anything from Shipley. But is it possible he's a better game day player than practice team player? I just don't see any projectability in Gradkowski, so why not try it?

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,825 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:13 PM

Not kicking the FG was absolutely the right decision.  It's the height of stupidity to take a 18-yard FG in the first half. 

If you want to question the play calling on that series, that's fine, but no way can you question the decision to go for it on 4th and goal.  The downside of not getting points there is very small, because you've then got them pinned back where you've got a shot at a safety or getting great field position when you get the ball back, which is exactly what happened.

The play where Joe turned it over at the end of the half and led to 3 more points for GB was bad, though.  I didn't even really like the first down call to be aggressive, though it was a bit understandable.  But with 12 seconds left, do you really think you can get two plays off and get inside field goal range?  Best case there is getting one play towards midfield and then being able to take a Hail Mary attempt.

I want those three points for Green Bay back.  I don't want the three points for us on the short-than-extra-point FG attempt.  I don't regret that decision at all.

#20 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:15 PM

Not sure about Joe outplaying Rodgers. Both QB's numbers look better than how they played IMO.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=