#841 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 12:19 PM

Astros fans want Espada fired. 

4-10 is a bad start for them, but it's a little early to fire the manager unless he's done some real bad things.  Rangers are leading the division at a whole 7-6.

#842 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,771 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 01:14 PM

Baseball manager is probably the least important "head coaching" position in professional sports. Probably not much difference between the best guy and the worst guy if you gave them an equal roster.

I'm sure their slow start has to do with the manager and not that their entire starting rotation is hurt.

#843 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 12 April 2024 - 03:52 PM

Baseball manager is probably the least important "head coaching" position in professional sports. Probably not much difference between the best guy and the worst guy if you gave them an equal roster.

I'm sure their slow start has to do with the manager and not that their entire starting rotation is hurt.

I feel like I say this every time I talk about the Astros, but their fans just don't seem to really understand baseball. Once you get passed their list of big name players, they don't seem to even know whose on their team.

I also get the sense that they're offended that the Rangers would have the audacity to become competitive, and out class their team.

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#844 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 157,582 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 08:52 AM

#845 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 157,582 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 10:27 AM

FanGraphs: The Astros Are Rapidly Digging Their Hole Deeper and Deeper

#846 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 13 May 2024 - 01:45 PM

Word around the campfire, is that Houston is shopping Verlander. Jon Heyman indirectly said JV is willing to waive his no trade clause for LA-D or Baltimore. 

#847 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,771 posts

Posted 13 May 2024 - 02:23 PM

Verlander, at 41, would probably be our 4th or 5th best SP by seasons end. I wouldn't give up a ton, but I'd be interested.

#848 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,720 posts

Posted 13 May 2024 - 02:26 PM

Ben Verlander said last year around the deadline Justin was willing to go to Baltimore. Not really news. Os may be interested but they would want Presley too

#849 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 13 May 2024 - 02:40 PM

I think JV's big game experience is the appeal. Houston is paying $18M of his salary (the Mets ate a lot of his $43M). But he has a vesting option of $35M next year, if he gets to 140 innings this year (he hasn't had much trouble getting to 140 in the past).  

#850 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,104 posts

Posted 13 May 2024 - 03:11 PM

We'll see in July, but I'm immensely confident in our rotation right now.  Always interested in adding a stud like Verlander, but the amount of that interest varies and if Burnes, Bradish, Rodriguez, Means and Kremer continue pitching like they have been, I don't think I'd have enough interest in replacing one with Verlander to pay the freight.  If one gets hurt - especially if Burnes, Bradish or Rodriguez - or Means or Kremer slips a bit and Irvin comes back to Earth, then I would be.

Will the Mets be paying any of the option if it vests?  

#851 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,720 posts

Posted 13 May 2024 - 03:19 PM

Gotta see exactly what Verlander is now too. Id wait a bit but Im guessing hes still gonna be a real step up from Irvin and Kremer.

#852 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 13 May 2024 - 04:41 PM

We'll see in July, but I'm immensely confident in our rotation right now.  Always interested in adding a stud like Verlander, but the amount of that interest varies and if Burnes, Bradish, Rodriguez, Means and Kremer continue pitching like they have been, I don't think I'd have enough interest in replacing one with Verlander to pay the freight.  If one gets hurt - especially if Burnes, Bradish or Rodriguez - or Means or Kremer slips a bit and Irvin comes back to Earth, then I would be.

Will the Mets be paying any of the option if it vests?  

Yep, the Mets are paying half of his 2025 salary, if he hits that 140 IP mark.

• Mackus likes this

#853 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,104 posts

Posted 13 May 2024 - 08:59 PM

Gotta see exactly what Verlander is now too. Id wait a bit but Im guessing hes still gonna be a real step up from Irvin and Kremer.

I'd expect Verlander to be around mid-3s. Definitely expecting Irvin to backslide quite a bit, but I have some confidence that Kremer can be around 4. So it's an upgrade, but I don't really think just that - or the ability to pick between Verlander or Means in the postseason - is worth the squeeze. One injury or a fall down from any of the current top 5 and I change my tune. Going from Irvin to Verlander with Verlander over Kremer in the postseason is worth paying for.

#854 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 157,582 posts

Posted 21 May 2024 - 01:59 PM

ESPN: How Josh Hader set unprecedented rules to protect his health

https://www.espn.com...-brewers-astros

#855 dude

dude

HOF

• Members