• Please log in to reply
844 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,125 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

One time major (Braves) prospect Jordan Schafer off to a nice start.

8 for 23 (.348), 1 hr, 2 rbi, 3 bb's, 5 k's, 3 steals.

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,125 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:39 AM

Baseball Analytics: Lowrie deadly with two strikes
http://www.baseballa...wo-strikes.html

#3 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

According to Ken Rosenthal, the Astros are going to fire manager Brad Mills after the season. Not definite.
http://www.mlbtrader...ter-season.html
@mrbeanage

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,125 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

Houston Chronicle: Astros test fans' loyalty, patience with dreadful run
http://blog.chron.co...h-dreadful-run/

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

The Astros are 12-44 since May 25. They are 2-21 in July. They have been outscored this month by more runs than they have scored themselves: 69 to 65. They average a three-run loss every single night.

They're doing what they should do by trading everything of major-league value for future talent, but damn it must suck to watch them every night.

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:19 PM

Houston Chronicle: Astros test fans' loyalty, patience with dreadful run
http://blog.chron.co...h-dreadful-run/

Sounds similar to Rockies fans. They have a few bad seasons and all hell breaks loose. Trying having 14.
@levineps

#7 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:20 PM

According to Ken Rosenthal, the Astros are going to fire manager Brad Mills after the season. Not definite.
http://www.mlbtrader...ter-season.html

If this is going to happen, might as well just name an interim than letting a lame-duck stay on.
@levineps

#8 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

keithlaw
Hearing it's a bloodbath in Houston with a bunch of scouts being told they're not being renewed for next year

#9 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:22 PM

keithlaw
Hearing it's a bloodbath in Houston with a bunch of scouts being told they're not being renewed for next year

Not a surprise even if they weren't losing like this. New owner --> new GM --> new scouting director. Just how it works.
@levineps

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,125 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:14 AM

Baseball Prospectus: The Process: Resetting the Astros Roster
http://www.baseballp...articleid=18056

#11 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:16 AM

Weirdly enough, the Astros aren't winning with Steve Pearce and Scott Moore as their #3 and #4 hitters. ;)
@beginthebegin71

#12 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:49 AM

Weirdly enough, the Astros aren't winning with Steve Pearce and Scott Moore as their #3 and #4 hitters. ;)

I don't know. According to some who debated the issue elsewhere, Scott Moore should have been the cleanup hitter for the Orioles much of the past five years.

#13 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:59 PM

I don't know. According to some who debated the issue elsewhere, Scott Moore should have been the cleanup hitter for the Orioles much of the past five years.

Ha!

I hope he sees this. It's honestly why I brought it up.
@beginthebegin71

#14 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,362 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:08 PM

Ha!

I hope he sees this. It's honestly why I brought it up.

He's actually hitting reasonably well with a .779 OPS. Small sample size and all.

His defense has been rated as awful, though. Thus, the negative WAR. Again, small sample size.

#15 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:09 PM

And in unsurprising but still ridiculous news, the 'Stros fired Brad Mills tonight.

Link will follow...

EDIT: http://hardballtalk.... ... e-seasons/

I understand wanting a new guy in the job. However, what the HELL is the point of doing this now?

#16 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:03 AM

And in unsurprising but still ridiculous news, the 'Stros fired Brad Mills tonight.

Link will follow...

EDIT: http://hardballtalk.... ... e-seasons/

I understand wanting a new guy in the job. However, what the HELL is the point of doing this now?

Audition for the next guy? Mills wasn't coming back, you think he wanted to stick around for another month knowing he wasn't playing for anything.

I got no idea if he was qualified or not. But that team simply can't win with Steve Pearce and Justin Maxwell playing such big roles for them.

It's always easiest/cheapest to replace a manager or head coach than it is to turnover an entire roster.
@levineps

#17 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:14 AM

Audition for the next guy? Mills wasn't coming back, you think he wanted to stick around for another month knowing he wasn't playing for anything.

I got no idea if he was qualified or not. But that team simply can't win with Steve Pearce and Justin Maxwell playing such big roles for them.

It's always easiest/cheapest to replace a manager or head coach than it is to turnover an entire roster.

Except they ARE turning over the entire roster.

I can't imagine that they won't do a league-wide search in the offseason. So let Mills run out the string, don't pay two managers, and be ready to interview candidates on October 4.

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:41 AM

Except they ARE turning over the entire roster.

I can't imagine that they won't do a league-wide search in the offseason. So let Mills run out the string, don't pay two managers, and be ready to interview candidates on October 4.

Were talking about 6 weeks here. Most likely they are promoting someone within the org, so they'll get a pro-rated low-managers salary for that time.

The whole roster isn't getting turned over, that's impossible. What are they promoting their whole farm system, getting international FA's, going after players in independent ball, trading all the "talent" they have? This is going to take years to rebuild. No team replaces their whole roster overnight.
@levineps

#19 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:42 AM

Not cool in my opinion.I can't honestly speak on the managerial skills of Brad Mills, but I know that if my boss took away my phone, my computer, and my leads, that I wouldn't make many sales..ya know.
@beginthebegin71

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,125 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:59 AM

The whole roster isn't getting turned over, that's impossible. What are they promoting their whole farm system, getting international FA's, going after players in independent ball, trading all the "talent" they have? This is going to take years to rebuild. No team replaces their whole roster overnight.

The game has changed, but after seeing the '88 and '89 O's, I do believe that type of roster turnover is possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=