DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:25 PM

Which city did you want to win?

Istanbul, but that's nobody's business but the Turks'.

• Adam Wolff and Don Quixote like this
@DJ_McCann

#23 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:03 PM

Which city did you want to win?

Out of the last three, I would have preferred Madrid. It had a high percentage (75%) of potential venues already built, was the most economical choice, and is a great city. Not that Tokyo isn't a fine place also, but I am surprised the IOC was swayed on Fukushima just because Abe spoke strongly. Spain could have used a shot in the arm more than Japan, I believe, and I don't think Madrid would have been as prone to post-Games hangover as, say, Montreal was with the '76 Games.

#24 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

Out of the last three, I would have preferred Madrid. It had a high percentage (75%) of potential venues already built, was the most economical choice, and is a great city. Not that Tokyo isn't a fine place also, but I am surprised the IOC was swayed on Fukushima just because Abe spoke strongly. Spain could have used a shot in the arm more than Japan, I believe, and I don't think Madrid would have been as prone to post-Games hangover as, say, Montreal was with the '76 Games.

I would have like to see Madrid, too. Second to Istanbul, but ahead of Tokyo, which already hosted.

@DJ_McCann

#25 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:16 PM

Does Spain really deserve to hold a Summer Olympics twice in 28 years, though?

#26 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:33 PM

That sucks.....hate the time difference!

#27 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:40 PM

Did the US deserve it twice in a dozen?

@DJ_McCann

#28 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:45 PM

Nope. But we deserve it a lot more frequently than Spain IMO.

#29 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:01 AM

I have no problem with it, although there are other places that simply did not bid that are deserving. I think the 2024 bidding will be interesting. The U.S. shot itself in the ass for 2020 by not bothering to bid because of friction with the IOC, who, interestingly, wanted them to bid. Not necessarily a fan of the "Washington" bid, but it will be interesting to see what happens with that and other U.S. cities to see who comes out ahead. Paris will probably bid again, since by 2024 it will have been 100 years since it last hosted the Olympics (which is a bit difficult to comprehend). Berlin could be in the mix, I believe last having bid for the 2000 Games. The Italian PM just hinted at a bid from Italy (likely Rome) for 2024. We'll see if South Africa ends up bidding. Not sure about Toronto.

Re: U.S. hosting twice in four Olympiads, Atlanta never would have had '96 if Athens had its act together. It would have been great for Athens to host the Centennial Games, but there were just too many concerns. They had everyone sweating bullets when they got 2004, as I'm sure we remember. I don't think they'll be hosting again anytime soon. I think it speaks to the relative strength of the U.S. when even a "second-tier" city can get the Games, and when a world sporting event seems in relative danger, the U.S. is often thought of as an alternate site.

#30 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

I have no problem with it, although there are other places that simply did not bid that are deserving. I think the 2024 bidding will be interesting. The U.S. shot itself in the ass for 2020 by not bothering to bid because of friction with the IOC, who, interestingly, wanted them to bid. Not necessarily a fan of the "Washington" bid, but it will be interesting to see what happens with that and other U.S. cities to see who comes out ahead. Paris will probably bid again, since by 2024 it will have been 100 years since it last hosted the Olympics (which is a bit difficult to comprehend). Berlin could be in the mix, I believe last having bid for the 2000 Games. The Italian PM just hinted at a bid from Italy (likely Rome) for 2024. We'll see if South Africa ends up bidding. Not sure about Toronto.

Re: U.S. hosting twice in four Olympiads, Atlanta never would have had '96 if Athens had its act together. It would have been great for Athens to host the Centennial Games, but there were just too many concerns. They had everyone sweating bullets when they got 2004, as I'm sure we remember. I don't think they'll be hosting again anytime soon. I think it speaks to the relative strength of the U.S. when even a "second-tier" city can get the Games, and when a world sporting event seems in relative danger, the U.S. is often thought of as an alternate site.

Some city is going to get screwed, since at a max, only 25 cities will have hosted the Olympics over a century period.

I have to think the US has to get a games relatively soon to appease NBC. By the time 2024 comes around, it will have been 22 years since the US last hosted and 28 years since a Summer Olympics in the US. And only one Olympics in North America during that time period.

I agree with you on the "alternative site" and the US -- look at the 2003 Women's World Cup. The US always has the facilities available and as good of security as you can ask for in this post-9/11 World.

@levineps

#31 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

Some city is going to get screwed, since at a max, only 25 cities will have hosted the Olympics over a century period.

I have to think the US has to get a games relatively soon to appease NBC. By the time 2024 comes around, it will have been 22 years since the US last hosted and 28 years since a Summer Olympics in the US. And only one Olympics in North America during that time period.

I agree with you on the "alternative site" and the US -- look at the 2003 Women's World Cup. The US always has the facilities available and as good of security as you can ask for in this post-9/11 World.

It's like how everyone is already starting to wet their pants over Qatar (just to reiterate: BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!), so the US is positioning themselves to host the World Cup in 2022 just in case.

@DJ_McCann

#32 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:31 PM

Yes.

kQ6eDJT.jpg

• Oriole85 likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#33 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

Yes.

kQ6eDJT.jpg

Yeah, but...Atlanta.

@DJ_McCann

#34 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:53 PM

Official. Baseball/softball return for 2020.

#35 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 03:37 PM

https://www.olympic....ames-tokyo-2020

#36 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 03:43 PM

It will be interesting to see if they can make a permanent return.

#37 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:08 PM

What other sports get yo-yo'd like this?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#38 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 09:37 PM

What other sports get yo-yo'd like this?

Apparently quite a few could get the treatment from here forward.

#39 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:15 AM

Get rid of that nonsense ribbon twirling that the Russians have had a lockdown on, it's ridiculous.

#40 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:53 AM

Get rid of that nonsense ribbon twirling that the Russians have had a lockdown on, it's ridiculous.

Trampoline gymnastics or whatever it's called can go too. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=