• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#61 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

Hoes is a player I would personally consider calling up. He is a really consistent player whom may not be anything more than average in the MLB...but that is better than what the Orioles have in their DH/Bench role. If he continues to be fairly productive within the next month, and Pearce/Dickerson/whoever struggles, I could see them just calling up Hoes to play some LF and be a reserve player.

His hit tool is basically what it is at this point IMO, which is a solid but unspectacular contact-driven style. average to a tick below-average power, but makes solid contact and can sometimes surprise with pop and gap power. Unless he adds on some weight or alters his swing towards a more power-driven style.

If he could still play 2B (which he can't), he would be the O's starting 2B.

Some points I agree with here. Mainly if you believe his ceiling is as a 4th OF (which I do, and I believe most do); than he should be in the mix competing for time with Pearce / Dickerson etc.

The count argument would be that even if you believe he is a 4th, give him additional ab's at AAA (had just over 300 last year).

Also, as Tucker says here, his power is below average.. but he does have some gap power. Had 35 xbh's in his 513 ab's last year. Some gap power + his plate discipline could make him a useful roster player.

Lastly, I also agree it is a shame he was not able to stay at 2nd.

#62 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

average to a tick below-average power, but makes solid contact and can sometimes surprise with pop and gap power.

How can you possibly call his power average or even just a tick below average?  He's got no pop.  His ISO has been 100-105 at the AA and AAA level (even lower than that earlier in his career).  League average ISO at the MLB level is about 150, he'd be under 100.  That is not a tick below.  It's putrid.  Only 10 players in all of MLB who qualified for the batting title had sub-100 ISOs last season.

Hopefully he'd hit for a solid average and draw some walks, but he won't scare anyone in the box, which means that pitchers will attack him and I doubt he gets as many walks.  Similar to what Russ described.

#63 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

How can you possibly call his power average or even just a tick below average?  He's got no pop.  His ISO has been 100-105 at the AA and AAA level (even lower than that earlier in his career).  League average ISO at the MLB level is about 150, he'd be under 100.  That is not a tick below.  It's putrid.  Only 10 players in all of MLB who qualified for the batting title had sub-100 ISOs last season.

Hopefully he'd hit for a solid average and draw some walks, but he won't scare anyone in the box, which means that pitchers will attack him and I doubt he gets as many walks.  Similar to what Russ described.

Because I have seen him play plenty of times. ISO and minor league numbers in general are not a tell-all sign. If he really wanted to, he could probably tack on some power numbers, but it's not his ideal game.

#64 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

If he can only add power by sacrificing contact ability to such a degree that his hit skill is no longer acceptable, then he doesn't have power.

#65 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

If he can only add power by sacrificing contact ability to such a degree that his hit skill is no longer acceptable, then he doesn't have power.

I said it wasn't his ideal game, not that it makes his hit skill no longer acceptable.

It also doesn't change the fact that he would still have an overall good approach at the plate, but just wouldn't get on base as much.

I've seen Hoes play since Highschool. I know others who would agree with me that he has surprising pop when he wants to. I believe Nick Faleris (stotle) said something along the lines of this.

#66 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

He does not have any power. If he changed his game maybe he can show it, but to this point he has proven not to be capable of providing power.

If he was capable of showing power without sacrificing too much of his other skills then why wouldn't he?

#67 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

So is Hoes now a forgotten man?

He's hitting .308/.405/.413

Still no power, but a great OBP.

Anyone know his splits? He may be a useful bat for the O's against lefties.

#68 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

288/447(!)/411/858 versus lefties.  Only 95 PAs, though he's managed an absolutely insane 21 walks in those opportunities.

#69 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

I just talked about him being better a more feasible option than Urrutia on the Podcast.

#70 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

I just talked about him being better a more feasible option than Urrutia on the Podcast.

If it's a platoon partner for Nate in LF that we're calling up, I agree Hoes may be a better option, as he bats righty and from what I've heard is the better of the two defensively (though neither are good).  If it's a DH against RHP that we're calling up, then I think Urrutia is the way to go.

#71 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:29 PM

I only saw him a few times when Norfolk came to Scranton to play the Yankees AAA team and he looked pretty good at the plate to me. His defense looked fine but it was only 3 games that I saw. If he was hitting .300+/.400+ as a 23 year old 4 years ago he'd be the O's everyday LF until the rest of the season. There just isn't a spot for him on the major league roster and likely won't be anytime soon.

#72 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:51 PM

If it's a platoon partner for Nate in LF that we're calling up, I agree Hoes may be a better option, as he bats righty and from what I've heard is the better of the two defensively (though neither are good). If it's a DH against RHP that we're calling up, then I think Urrutia is the way to go.

Agreed. And Nate has hit lefties well enough to not need a platoon partner. Hoes is competing with Valencia and Pierce for DH against lefties, and they have better track records.

Then there's Reimold as well.

Plenty of depth in the OF and at DH. Just a matter of someone stepping up. I think the new combo for DH may be a solid solution.

#73 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:52 PM

Tucker or anyone else, what slash line would you envision from him in the majors?

#74 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,563 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

Tucker or anyone else, what slash line would you envision from him in the majors?

My expectations would be .270/.350/.380. I'm interested in what Tucker and company think as well.

#75 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:25 PM

My expectations would be .270/.350/.380. I'm interested in what Tucker and company think as well.

I think that is something that he could do.

I am a lot higher on Hoes than others apparently...

But I just like consistency, and Hoes has always been just that. 

#76 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

Well he probably needs to be a little better than that to have much value as an everyday player.

Unless his D is way better than my perception.

Otherwise, he could be a platoon bat.

#77 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

Well he probably needs to be a little better than that to have much value as an everyday player.

Unless his D is way better than my perception.

Otherwise, he could be a platoon bat.

It sounds like right around what Markakis has been for 5 years now, although less power I guess. OPS wise, close though. That type of OPS is plenty decent enough in this run environment. But unlike Markakis, I don't like that it sounds like that would pretty much be his upside.

#78 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:49 PM

Nick had been better than that until this year, (usually by a fair amount) where he's not providing much value.

#79 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:53 PM

Nick had been better than that until this year, (usually by a fair amount) where he's not providing much value.

Yeah, a little... but not leaps and bounds really, except for the power.

#80 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:55 PM

It sounds like right around what Markakis has been for 5 years now, although less power I guess. OPS wise, close though. That type of OPS is plenty decent enough in this run environment. But unlike Markakis, I don't like that it sounds like that would pretty much be his upside.

What?  No it doesn't.

That's a 730 OPS.  Markakis had a 756 in 2011.  Every other season he's been over 800.    70 points isn't close.

Also, I don't think there is really a great chance that Hoes has an OBP 80 points higher than his BA.  He has zero power, it's nearly impossible to have less power than he does.  So pitcher's are going to attack him, and he'll draw fewer walks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=