Tracking Machado and Schoop

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
138 replies to this topic

#101 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:06 PM

Schoop with a homer in tonight's game at Bowie (2-5 on the game), his eighth of the season. His slash is up to .247/.307/.380.
@BSLLukeJackson

#102 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:19 PM

Why start the service clock?

Well, the excuse is that a couple weeks of service time can be finessed.

But the real reason is that ballplayers are not just pieces of meat. This would be an opportunity to help the guy feel like part of the family, help shape his baseball self-identity as an Oriole, and help him love being an Oriole. That's part of the stuff that used to make guys *not* wanna go someplace else. If they got traded, they'd cry... and that's what you want. Good opportunities to ingrain a guy as being part of the org he belongs to is well worth it in my book. It's a big part of why Palmer didn't leave despite the fact that the onset of FA was tailor made for him, as it began precisely when at the very peak of his career.

We want the guys coming up thru the system to want to stay... letting them have a taste of the Good Life as a reward for doing well is part of how you do that.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#103 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,935 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:55 AM

We want the guys coming up thru the system to want to stay... letting them have a taste of the Good Life as a reward for doing well is part of how you do that.

That's a double-edged sword, though. For every day he's up this year, you have to keep him down a day longer next year. It's not very welcoming to have him come up for a few weeks in September, have him do well, and then send him right back down to start the year for 4-5 weeks or whatever it would require. I would do it if we're in the hunt and we think he can help (exactly what the Rays did with Price), but it's not worth it just to introduce him to the big league lifestyle.

Not massaging the service-time game is not an option. It's simply bad business to waste an entire year of club control to have him up for two weeks in April. That's obviously a terrible trade off and isn't an acceptable plan under any circumstance. If we were the Yankees and money was no object, then perhaps you can do that, but middle-market teams can't afford to do things the friendly way.

If players really cared about being up in September, then they would have allowed for that time to not count against the service clock if a rookie only sees time during September but no other month of the year (I understand that it wasn't the guys who were still waiting to come up that negotiated that).

#104 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

I think the realistic target for Machado should be sometime next year with breaking camp as the starting SS a real possibility.

#105 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,935 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

I think the realistic target for Machado should be sometime next year with breaking camp as the starting SS a real possibility.

I wouldn't let him start the season with the team.

The service time game, while annoying, is very important. Send him down for about two weeks to start the season and you get an entire extra year of service from him at the back end.

#106 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

That's a double-edged sword, though. For every day he's up this year, you have to keep him down a day longer next year. It's not very welcoming to have him come up for a few weeks in September, have him do well, and then send him right back down to start the year for 4-5 weeks or whatever it would require. I would do it if we're in the hunt and we think he can help (exactly what the Rays did with Price), but it's not worth it just to introduce him to the big league lifestyle.

Not massaging the service-time game is not an option. It's simply bad business to waste an entire year of club control to have him up for two weeks in April. That's obviously a terrible trade off and isn't an acceptable plan under any circumstance. If we were the Yankees and money was no object, then perhaps you can do that, but middle-market teams can't afford to do things the friendly way.

If players really cared about being up in September, then they would have allowed for that time to not count against the service clock if a rookie only sees time during September but no other month of the year (I understand that it wasn't the guys who were still waiting to come up that negotiated that).

I agree...except...what are the odds that Buck and DD are here in 2019? Their desire for short term gains could cause them to forgo the long term good of the franchise.

There is also a chance, and this is a longshot, that Machado would be willing to sign a long term deal out of the box. Of course even if he was the odds are PA wouldn't agree to a 6-7 year deal for a rookie.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#107 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,935 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

I agree...except...what are the odds that Buck and DD are here in 2019? Their desire for short term gains could cause them to forgo the long term good of the franchise.

There is also a chance, and this is a longshot, that Machado would be willing to sign a long term deal out of the box. Of course even if he was the odds are PA wouldn't agree to a 6-7 year deal for a rookie.

Well if Duquette and Buck do something stupid for the long term good of the franchise, then that's on them. I said previously that I would consider bringing Machado up for the stretch run this year if we're in it, he's killing it, and we still need a 3B or 2B. But then you have to leave him down in AAA to start 2013 even longer.

The risk of doing otherwise is pretty substantial. An entire year of service time is a major asset. Now, at the end, all this may cost you is extra money because you just extend him (relatively) a year earlier. But if he doesn't want to extend and will test FA regardless (like Wieters, IMO) then you have to play the game, or else you lose a ton of value.

#108 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

Bundy and Machado getting an on-air "interview" before the Futures Game, on MLB TV... http://mlb.mlb.com/v...ent_id=22943467

#109 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,935 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

Bundy and Machado getting an on-air "interview" before the Futures Game, on MLB TV... http://mlb.mlb.com/v...ent_id=22943467

Bundy is just a ridiculously sized person.

#110 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

http://orioles-natio... ... s-defense/

#111 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:43 PM

Manny hit one out tonight...#8.

#112 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:50 PM

Schoop hit No. 10 today...10 of his 80 hits are homers.
@BSLLukeJackson

#113 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

Just wanna see a progression throughout the year. Plenty to like about both of their seasons so far.

#114 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:02 PM

2 more hits, along with a walk for Schoop tonight..he hit his 11th homer.

MM had a double and a walk tonight.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#115 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:43 PM

These guys are knocking on the door. I think both have a chance to be get 400 ABs for the O's next year. Neither are dominating they are both doing enough for me to give them a legit look in ST at starting positions in Baltimore next year.

#116 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

Schoop has really had a power surge lately. Homers in 3 of his last 4 and 5 HR over his last 10.

@AdamWolff

#117 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,269 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

Machado season: .259 baa, 8 hr's, 50 rbi, 39 bb's, 59 k's, 22 doubles, 3 triples, 12 steals, .758 OPS

Schoop season: .252 baa, 11 hr's, 37 rbi, 22 bb's, 71 k's, 15 doubles, 1 triple, .714 OPS

#118 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,935 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

Gotta love that BB rate from Machado. Really impressive for a player as young as he is to have plate discipline that is that good.

Seems like that's the one area where Schoop is lacking. Only about a 60 point split between his average and OBP, and that's been pretty consistent at every level. It'd be nice if he could get that closer to 70, especially if he's only going to be a .270-.280 hitter.

Still, both of these guys are very impressive. Machado obviously is on another level, but Schoop is a very solid prospect in his own right. Would be exciting if these guys are in the infield together in Baltimore in a couple years (Machado obviously probably sooner).

#119 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

Another homer for Schoop tonight. MM with a walk and single.

#120 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

Another homer for Schoop tonight. MM with a walk and single.

Told you not to deal Schoop...
@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=