#81 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:26 PM

You're over-selling how much people are committed to driving and not taking trains... it ain't the '60's anymore... driving is more of a pain than ever, and it's less fun than ever... people take trains like crazy now when they're reasonably available... and that's even with slow crappy trains.   If/when we have fast, comfortable trains that give you a pleasant space to be in, people will flock to them... especially because both airports and driving have become much more of a pain than they used to be...

It's the chicken-or-egg argument: are people taking the train like crazy because they are reasonably available, or are they reasonably available because they are in areas where people like taking the train?

Again, people like taking the train when it is the best alternative. That's the case in the NEC, because of the relative density throughout the region, the closeness of the cities, and the importance of multiple cities to the government and the economy of the nation. But, even with the availability of rail service, think of how many people use I-95 every day, even with the traffic problems and the hassle of driving.

I'd just like to make clear that I actually do support the idea of expanding and upgrading rail service. I just think it needs to be done differently than it currently is and in a way that is economically feasible.

@DJ_McCann

#82 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:33 PM

I'd just like to make clear that I actually do support the idea of expanding and upgrading rail service. I just think it needs to be done differently than it currently is and in a way that is economically feasible.

Passenger rail is never ever ever economically feasible in the traditional sense of the word... the reason is simply and immutable: people don't weigh enough...

The *only* way to do it is gov't, because the payoffs are unrelated to traditional ROI calculations... there is no alternative to gov't doing it... none....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#83 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:23 AM

Good grief. Apparently Amtrak had started on this project in 2008 but was unable to complete it for four years because it wasn't able to purchase access to the necessary airwaves that would allow them to turn the system on.

http://www.nytimes.c...v=top-news&_r=1

#84 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,617 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:38 AM

Good grief. Apparently Amtrak had started on this project in 2008 but was unable to complete it for four years because it wasn't able to purchase access to the necessary airwaves that would allow them to turn the system on.

We can't get into politics so I will refrain from speaking my mind.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#85 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:53 AM

Knowing my luck, as soon as I'd buy a Hyperloop, they'd immediately come out with the Hyperloop 2.0 Extreme Edition.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#86 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 15 May 2015 - 12:03 PM

Knowing my luck, as soon as I'd buy a Hyperloop, they'd immediately come out with the Hyperloop 2.0 Extreme Edition.

Not only that, but your Hyperloop won't integrate with a Maglev. Welcome to Elon Musk's walled garden.

• SammyBirdland and DJ MC like this

#87 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 12:31 PM

http://money.cnn.com...oney/index.html

#88 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:25 PM

Congress gave them a mandate... but then refused to give them the money to carry out the mandate... that's been going on for a few years now...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#89 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:50 AM

Now they're thinking the Amtrak engine was maybe hit by something... pattern of windshield damage is consistent with a projectile hitting it... plus, another nearby passenger train going the other way at the same time also had a couple windows broken.  

People on that other train report hearing the engineers of the 2 trains talking over the radio about the broken glass that happened to both trains.  The Amtrak engineer had a concussion and has no memory of what happened leading up to the accident... so ???

http://www.msn.com/e...cid=ansnewsap11

Not saying this happened, but if something caused the engineer to fall forward, he could have shoved the throttle forward, making the train go faster, which is what the big mystery is about...

Regardless, the FBI is now involved...

#90 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:19 AM

The "high speed" Acela takes significantly longer to take passengers from NYC to DC than old, slow trains did 50+ years ago... because it has to slow down for sections of bad railroad tracks which are due to poor infrastructure upkeep...

You couldn't make this up...  pretty soon we're gonna be a Third World country...

First 3 paragraphs of: http://www.thedailyb...atastrophe.html

Good thing they're slashing the Amtrak budget by another ~20%... because of Freedom™

#91 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:04 AM

Why Amtrak didn't have Positive Train Control in place...

http://money.cnn.com...braking-system/

#92 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:36 PM

Details on the NE Corridor's bottlenecks:  ancient infrastructure

http://www.syracuse....ier_rail_s.html

#93 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:35 AM

It's Time to Sell Amtrak to Elon Musk

As much as I like to see outside-the-box thinking, that isn't the answer. Set aside the almost certain likelihood that Musk would have no desire to buy (or even given, as the article suggests) Amtrak to run as he sees fit....I just do not think that is the answer. The only way Amtrak can be operated as a successful private company is to lift the "nationwide" mandate and allow Amtrak (or whatever name it takes on under a different owner) to focus on routes that can be profitable....of which there are probably only a few.

America simply has to make a choice.....we either want a national passenger rail system, in which case we must be willing to subsidize it both operationally and investing in improvements, or we don't. Elon Musk is not going to be the white knight who changes that reality.

#94 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:23 AM

Roads aren't profitable

Sidewalks aren't profitable

Sewage treatment plants aren't profitable

Police departments aren't profitable

Fire departerments aren't profitable

Food inspectors aren't profitable

Back when hospitals didnt charge $8 for aspirin, they weren't profitable

Back when health insurance companies figured out how to get you what your Dr said you needed, they weren't profitable.

Lots of things that make sense aren't profitable.

#95 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:16 AM

Texas blocks direct sales. allowing Tesla to sell direct to consumers

This quote from Democratic state Rep. Senfronia Thompson is gold, Jerry.  Gold!

"It would have been wiser if Mr. Tesla had sat down with the car dealers first.”

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#96 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:29 AM

Texas blocks direct sales. allowing Tesla to sell direct to consumers

This quote from Democratic state Rep. Senfronia Thompson is gold, Jerry.  Gold!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha

I wonder if he thinks Detroit's Big Three were founded by Mr. Ford, Mr. Chrylser, and Mr. General ?

#97 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:56 AM

"It would have been wiser....”

I wonder if Rep. Thompson knows what the word irony means.

#98 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:49 PM

Roads aren't profitable

Sidewalks aren't profitable

Sewage treatment plants aren't profitable

Police departments aren't profitable

Fire departerments aren't profitable

Food inspectors aren't profitable

Back when hospitals didnt charge $8 for aspirin, they weren't profitable

Back when health insurance companies figured out how to get you what your Dr said you needed, they weren't profitable.

Lots of things that make sense aren't profitable.

The final six are irrelevant to the discussion. The first two are different, for reasons I mentioned above.

@DJ_McCann

#99 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:53 PM

The final six are irrelevant to the discussion. The first two are different, for reasons I mentioned above.

Well, we disagree about both of those assertions.

#100 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:58 PM

Well, we disagree about both of those assertions.

Yes, I'm aware :)

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=