• Coker and KRL224 like this

#2 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:37 PM

Sounds cool. But I find this part highly dubious.

It sounds fantastic, and according to Musk could be built for less than a comparable magnetic-levitation train — roughly $6 billion for a Los Angeles-to-San Franciso route that would cut travel time to 30 minutes for a $20 ticket.

#3 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

Anything that could get me to Washington in ~5 minutes is OK in my book.

Or...why not just skip ahead...

@DJ_McCann

#4 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:18 PM

...Wow.

A Boston-NY-Philly-DC loop would be incredible. 

#5 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:48 PM

Baltimore and DC would be the perfect place to beta test this type of thing. Urban/suburban space between the 2 cities, ie: no nature preserves to tear down, plus a highway to build it along/above and large affluent populations to use it. I'd love to see it happen. Just gotta get past those MD NIMBY's who are notorious for shutting things down before they can happen.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#6 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:42 PM

This is the type of thing this country should be investing in imo. This would be such a game changer for society.
  • BSLChrisStoner, Adam Wolff and Mark Carver like this

#7 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:24 AM

Here's an article that gets a little more in-depth about the hyperloop: http://www.wired.com...loop-elon-musk/

#8 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:50 AM

This is the type of thing this country should be investing in imo. This would be such a game changer for society.

It would be nice to get some private funding going for a transit project since the govt has proven they operate transit, and most other services, even for profit services, at a loss.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:23 AM

Article/thread title sounds absolutely made up, both the guy's name and the concept.  It's a Comcast Info synopsis for a SyFy movie starring some washed up D-lister like Kevin Sorbo.

The idea is super cool, though.  High speed mass transit is a major area in which we're very far behind other countries.

• Adam Wolff likes this

#10 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:02 AM

At 900 MPH you could make it from Baltimore to downtown DC in....3 minutes.

It would take longer to walk from OPACY to the harbor. Like, 5 times as long.

#11 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:11 AM

With 12 people in a pod, it doesn't seem like it would make any sense for short distances.  The wait to actually get into the pod would be way too long.

#12 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

It would be nice to get some private funding going for a transit project since the govt has proven they operate transit, and most other services, even for profit services, at a loss.

Yeah, no doubt.

#13 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:52 PM

Japan offers to front half the cost of a Maglev train between Baltimore and DC:

The Japanese government has promised to lend the United Stateshalf of the cost of building the first "Super-Maglev" train, reducing travel time between Baltimore and Washington DC to just 15 minutes.

Tokyo is so keen to show off its technology that it will provide loans for half the estimated $8 billion (£5bn) cost of installing the tracks, Japan'sAsahi newspaper said on Tuesday.

http://www.telegraph...-Baltimore.html

#14 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:00 PM

Yes please.

#15 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:17 PM

I'm always skeptical of whether projects like this can be built, if at all, to the specs/expectations that you see in the "sales" phase. That said, this could really be great for Baltimore. If the cost of a round-trip is reasonable enough (or a monthly/annual pass) something like this could make Baltimore a lot more attractive for people who work in DC, want to live in an urban setting, but don't want to pay DC prices for a home or apartment. The increase in residents, many of whom would be making decent incomes, is just what Baltimore needs. Certainly much more appealing than taking the MARC back and forth each workday.

#16 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:30 PM

Get this done,  build the new Arena/Convention center and suddenly the DC/Bmore Olympic bid looks alot more appealing.  

#17 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:15 AM

I'd rather see these monies go to improving MARC service between cities, since it already exists and just started running weekends -- as well as building the red line, improving the existing light rail and bus network, and expanding the metro subway to White Marsh.

Building a MAGLEV line would be cool and all, but it'll never happen. Let's use the money they're dumping into this pipe dream to invest in something that already exists.

#18 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:53 AM

I'd rather see these monies go to improving MARC service between cities, since it already exists and just started running weekends -- as well as building the red line, improving the existing light rail and bus network, and expanding the metro subway to White Marsh.

Building a MAGLEV line would be cool and all, but it'll never happen. Let's use the money they're dumping into this pipe dream to invest in something that already exists.

I like your "Can Do" attitude   ;-)

http://www.thehotais...never-take-off/

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#19 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:12 AM

Would traveling at 900 MPH have any impact on drunk people's ability to sing Lil Jon songs?

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#20 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:16 AM

So, for reasons way beyond what I want to get into, I have to be in DC Court tomorrow by 9 AM for a few hearings.  Anyway, I figured rather than fight traffic and park at Greenbelt, I could just take the MARC to Union Station and back.  Well, apparently this thing only runs during rush hour?  I need to come back around noon and nothing runs during those hours.

Seems pretty pointless to me, but what do I know?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=