245 replies to this topic

#61 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:40 PM

LA had already lost interest with the first new team, so why not make yourself the second?

To be fair, they had that "new" team as recently as 1995. This "new" one has been gone since 1962.

So they've had even longer to become Cowboys and Steelers fans while they were gone.

I think it goes for New York:
Mets/Jets/Nets/Isanders
Yankees/Giants/Knicks/Rangers

And for LA:
Yankees/Cowboys/Lakers/Duke
Yankees/Steelers/Clippers/Duke
  • You Play to Win the Game and Bmore Irish like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#62 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:35 AM

I think it goes for New York:
Mets/Jets/Nets/Isanders
Yankees/Giants/Knicks/Rangers

And for LA:
Yankees/Cowboys/Lakers/Duke
Yankees/Steelers/Clippers/Duke

I think you just pissed off a LOT of Dodgers fans :lol:

Also, today is, possibly (or not) coincidentally, the anniversary of the Rams announcement.

@DJ_McCann

#63 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:40 AM

Until the new Inglewood stadium is ready, the Chargers will be playing in the Coliss--I mean the Rose Bo--wait, actually the StubHub Center.

They are going to be playing second-fiddle, for two years, to the LA f-ing Galaxy.

@DJ_McCann

#64 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:42 AM

As a reminder: Report: Chargers may rebrand in L.A.

Can't imagine a better way to make sure the San Diego fans DON'T want to make the trip up I-5.

@DJ_McCann

#65 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:46 AM

They'll be playing in a 30k seat stadium until Inglewood. Sad. And going for the rebrand too?

Yeah, this seems destined for failure.

#66 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,617 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:47 AM

Until the new Inglewood stadium is ready, the Chargers will be playing in the Coliss--I mean the Rose Bo--wait, actually the StubHub Center.

They are going to be playing second-fiddle, for two years, to the LA f-ing Galaxy.

Seeing an NFL football game in a smaller venue is pretty cool, and much different than the coliseum or any other venue in the NFL. Plus it creates a demand...not sure how much of a demand there will be in LA with two teams there now, but I think it's a pretty interesting idea.

It's so ironic how this all worked out. LA struggled to get a team back for 20 years, there wasn't much of a demand for them to get one, and now they have two.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#67 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,929 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:49 AM

I like the Chargers name and colors but I also like the trend of teams leaving their names and records behind when they relocate.

#68 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:08 AM

I like the Chargers name and colors but I also like the trend of teams leaving their names and records behind when they relocate.

You're assuming Spanos has enough of a soul to allow that.

Deadspin: No One Wants You, Dean Spanos

@DJ_McCann

#69 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:09 AM

https://twitter.com/...528374179663872

@DJ_McCann

#70 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,617 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:17 AM

The Chargers are just coming home after an extended stay in SD.  :ugeek:

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#71 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:21 AM

I honestly wouldn't mind if they became the LA Condors (or Cougars, which would be bland but still regionally appropriate, and, you know, hilarious). Especially if they DID start with a clean slate and leave everything else for another team in San Diego. That could be something worthwhile for the NFL to consider if they see San Diego as a viable market still. Having the established history and brand in place for a relocated or expansion team to take over could add a lot of value to that move, and it might make it easier for teams to use San Diego as a bargaining chip.

Shit, I'm giving them ideas, aren't I?

@DJ_McCann

#72 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:50 AM

Rams had the 2nd highest home attendance in the NFL. LA must care enough. Granted the collisieum is huge, but their mostly filling it.

SD and Oakland had the lowest attendance, and both are to be on the move. SD being the lowest, a 30K seat stadium to start might be just right.

http://www.pro-footb.../attendance.htm
  • DuffMan likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#73 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:30 AM

New logo:

C1-653wUkAALS-F.jpg

#74 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,617 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:48 AM

Rams had the 2nd highest home attendance in the NFL. LA must care enough. Granted the collisieum is huge, but their mostly filling it.

SD and Oakland had the lowest attendance, and both are to be on the move. SD being the lowest, a 30K seat stadium to start might be just right.

http://www.pro-footb.../attendance.htm

Well it was a novelty this year. I wonder how they'll do in ten years if they're still going 3-13. That and the Rams must still have some kind of base in LA since they only moved from LA in 1994.

#75 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:06 PM

New logo:

C1-653wUkAALS-F.jpg

http://deadspin.com/...logo-1791118192

Check the top comment.

@DJ_McCann

#76 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:18 PM

Well it was a novelty this year. I wonder how they'll do in ten years if they're still going 3-13. That and the Rams must still have some kind of base in LA since they only moved from LA in 1994.

Attendance will take hit to any team performing poorly. Even the Yankees sport lots of empty seats at times and there is no shortage of people or interest in baseball up there.

Are they going to build the Rams a new home? Or will they stay at the collisieum? Chargers getting a new stadium would mean people buying PSLs, which probably means more out there than it does here. A lot more sporting events, concerts, festivals, will roll through LA than will roll through say, M &T bank stadium, where PSL holders seem pissed. You get a lacrosse tournament, one big concert you might not care for anyway, Army Navy every four years, that's about it. In LA you probably get a college bowl game, Pac-12 chapionship even possible, way more concerts, probably some USA soccer games like qualifiers or whatever cup like they had this past summer. Super Bowl is a lock to be there one year. Levis stadium got it the first year it was open, right?

So I could see PSLs being worth it. But like the problem here, getting people to go is a different story.
@BSLMikeRandall

#77 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:33 PM

Money money money

#78 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:45 PM

Attendance will take hit to any team performing poorly. Even the Yankees sport lots of empty seats at times and there is no shortage of people or interest in baseball up there.

Are they going to build the Rams a new home? Or will they stay at the collisieum? Chargers getting a new stadium would mean people buying PSLs, which probably means more out there than it does here. A lot more sporting events, concerts, festivals, will roll through LA than will roll through say, M &T bank stadium, where PSL holders seem pissed. You get a lacrosse tournament, one big concert you might not care for anyway, Army Navy every four years, that's about it. In LA you probably get a college bowl game, Pac-12 chapionship even possible, way more concerts, probably some USA soccer games like qualifiers or whatever cup like they had this past summer. Super Bowl is a lock to be there one year. Levis stadium got it the first year it was open, right?

So I could see PSLs being worth it. But like the problem here, getting people to go is a different story.

Wikipedia: City of Champions Stadium

@DJ_McCann

#79 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,617 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:47 PM

Had the Chargers been placed further south, say in Anaheim or Irvine, where it's kinda closer to SD and represents a different part of "LA", I could see it working, kinda like how two baseball teams work in Chicago or New York, representing a specific part of the city. LA is so big though, they're going to pull fans from the same geographic area. I know it makes sense to share a stadium, but two teams in LA just doesn't seem built to last IMO.

#80 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:21 PM

ESPN: Chargers' desperation move is a shot to the NFL's vitality

In the meeting, Spanos told owners that fans were showing up at the Chargers practice facility and leaving $1 bills. Some owners quietly laughed, but most of the room was quiet. It became clear why Spanos was speaking: He was telling them what Adam Schefter reported Wednesday night, that he was planning to move to L.A. It was sad and dire and unprecedented in Roger Goodell's decade as commissioner: An owner unwillingly moving a team to a city that doesn't seem to want it, sharing a stadium with an owner, Stan Kroenke, who doesn't want to split it, witnessed and engineered by a group of owners whose sympathy only goes so far.

Now Los Angeles, which for two decades watched the weekend's two best games on TV, will watch the Rams and the Chargers. Owners publicly are bullish about Los Angeles as a two-team town; privately they're not so sure...  "How are the Chargers going to market themselves?" one team executive says. "'We didn't want to be here, but we're here, so buy some PSLs?'"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=