Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

ESPNNFL discipline possible for Jim Irsay

Goodell has long said the league's personal conduct policy, which doesn't require a guilty plea or verdict in a court case to be instituted by the commissioner, applies to all league and team personnel. Goodell's stance has always been the higher the authority of the person involved the higher the standard for discipline.

"We obviously will want to understand the facts before we take any steps as it relates to any potential discipline," Goodell said. "Obviously any policies or any laws that are broken, whether you're commissioner or owner or player or coach, those are subject to discipline."

@levineps

#42 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

CBS SportsReport: Woman dead of overdose found in home bought by Irsay

@levineps

#43 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:17 AM

Yikes. Sounds like Irsay has some...issues to deal with.

I read that there's nothing criminal going on with the woman found in his apartment but he's definitely living a crazy life right now. Goddell should discipline him hard.

That said, what a screwed up family.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#44 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:26 AM

Do you want to punish him or help him get better? This isn't a guy who needs a job for financial security so I'm not sure what a suspensions or a public shaming will do for him. Make his continued involvement in the NFL dependent on a successful rehab stint.

#45 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:57 AM

The same can be said of players. Should they be punished or rehabilitated? The way the NFL hands out fines and suspensions definitely makes it seem like they are punishing players, which is what they should do. I don't think any of it is intended to be a public shaming. 

The players need to help themselves if they are addicts or in some kind of trouble. I don't know what the NFL does to help players in those kinds of situations, all we hear about is suspensions and fines.

Irsay needs help. He has the money to  get the very best. I am not shedding any tears for him. He needs to stay off the road when he's drunk.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#46 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

Yikes. Sounds like Irsay has some...issues to deal with.

I read that there's nothing criminal going on with the woman found in his apartment but he's definitely living a crazy life right now. Goddell should discipline him hard.

That said, what a screwed up family.

Goodell will, he's already made an example of players, executives, and even owners. He fined Bud Adams $250k for giving the bird.

Do you want to punish him or help him get better? This isn't a guy who needs a job for financial security so I'm not sure what a suspensions or a public shaming will do for him. Make his continued involvement in the NFL dependent on a successful rehab stint.

He's the owner, so he doesn't really have a "job." He can do much or as little as he wants like anyone else who gets in that situation. He should be held to a higher standard than a player doing a similar thing. I'm sure Goodell will make it clear he can suspend him longer if conditions aren't met like with Sean Payton and Big Ben.

@levineps

#47 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:58 PM

Yahoo: Mathis suspended for 4 games

http://sports.yahoo....00537--nfl.html

#48 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:40 PM

Mathis says he was taking some fertility thing trying to put a bun in his old lady's oven.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#49 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:59 AM

Sports Illustrated: Off-season Report Card

http://nfl.si.com/20...on-report-card/

#50 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:07 PM

ESPNJim Irsay's license suspended 1 year

@levineps

#51 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:08 PM

ESPNJim Irsay's license suspended 1 year

Man, that's going to suck being driven/flown around in whatever million dollar vehicle he wants.

#52 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:13 PM

Man, that's going to suck being driven/flown around in whatever million dollar vehicle he wants.

I get where you're going with this one. However, it's pretty embarrassing to see your name to be continued to dragged out like this much moreso than losing the license yourself. If he's the anonymous multi-millionaire, it's one thing. Besides, even rich people like to live regularly sometimes (I'm not sure if he's one of those types). 

@levineps

#53 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

I get where you're going with this one. However, it's pretty embarrassing to see your name to be continued to dragged out like this much moreso than losing the license yourself. If he's the anonymous multi-millionaire, it's one thing. Besides, even rich people like to live regularly sometimes (I'm not sure if he's one of those types). 

I still can't believe the NFL hasn't dropped the hammer yet. It doesn't take long when a black player screws up, though.

#54 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:44 PM

I still can't believe the NFL hasn't dropped the hammer yet. It doesn't take long when a black player screws up, though.

The NFL should've suspended him indefinitely, they certainly can at this point. That way they could do something and buy some time for a bigger punishment in the coming weeks.

@levineps

#55 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:58 PM

I heard from someone on the radio (LaConfora maybe), that the players are beyond irate that Irsay has been handled with kid gloves so far from the NFL. The same NFL that is poised to make Gordon sit out the year for smoking some pot in the off-season.

#56 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:38 PM

I heard from someone on the radio (LaConfora maybe), that the players are beyond irate that Irsay has been handled with kid gloves so far from the NFL. The same NFL that is poised to make Gordon sit out the year for smoking some pot in the off-season.

Didn't Gordon knowingly break the rules and knew if he was caught he was going to sit out a year?

Of course, they're irate. But Irsay will be disciplined it's just a matter of when not if. I still think Goodell should've acted already.

@levineps

#57 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:42 PM

Didn't Gordon knowingly break the rules and knew if he was caught he was going to sit out a year?

Of course, they're irate. But Irsay will be disciplined it's just a matter of when not if. I still think Goodell should've acted already.

I think that's the issue though. The black man smoking some reef in the off-season gets caught, immediately knows his fate. The rich white owner does what he does... everyone is waiting to see what the punishment will be. Until it's handed down, I think there's a cerain level of anxiety about it because there is no written rules around owners. And yes, for the players, I do think it's partially a race thing, which is why I'm saying it like I am. And it's hard to argue they're wrong.

#58 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:55 PM

I think that's the issue though. The black man smoking some reef in the off-season gets caught, immediately knows his fate. The rich white owner does what he does... everyone is waiting to see what the punishment will be. Until it's handed down, I think there's a cerain level of anxiety about it because there is no written rules around owners. And yes, for the players, I do think it's partially a race thing, which is why I'm saying it like I am. And it's hard to argue they're wrong.

I'm fine with Gordon getting suspended a year, just because you don't agree with the rules, doesn't mean you can violate them.

Now if they want to put rules on the NFL books about any person getting DUI getting automatically suspended for a certain amount of time, I'm fine with that.

I also don't care about the racial component in this case.

@levineps

#59 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:47 PM

The NFL's excuse is that they are letting the legal process play out. Which is a valid point, because that's what they do with the players. Just look at Ray Rice.

However, it looks bad, and once the "process" is done they had better do something that hurts.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@DJ_McCann

#60 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:55 AM

Sports on Earth: Colts Preview
http://www.sportsone...ke-adams#!0RpGT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users