Indianapolis Colts

• Please log in to reply
313 replies to this topic

#21 KevinVanValkenburg ‏

KevinVanValkenburg ‏
  • Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:24 PM

Don't know if you guys are interested at all, but I thought I'd share a link to this piece I wrote for our quarterbacks issue. Not trying to solicit compliments, If you are at all curious about the process of pulling together a story like this (I know some people have media curiosity), I'd be happy to answer any questions. 

http://espn.go.com/n...w-espn-magazine

• BSLChrisStoner, MKlein76, JeremyStrain and 3 others like this

#22 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:28 PM

Seems like you shadowed him for a week.  Is that accurate?

You mentioned in the article about how private he is, so I was wondering how much access he gave you that was out of the ordinary (for him)?

@fuzydunlop

#23 KevinVanValkenburg ‏

KevinVanValkenburg ‏
  • Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:43 PM

Interestingly enough, he gave me almost no access. I just reported my butt off. I talked to everyone I could in the locker room, watched his every move. One of his teammates was REALLY great about giving me a bunch of details about him. So was one of his coaches. Slowly, I began to piece together a picture of him. I followed him after each game for as long as I could, respectfully keeping my distance, just to see who he interacted with, etc. 

When the piece was essentially written, I got him on the phone for 10 minutes. I was able to confirm a bunch of stuff, asking him a few more questions I was curious about, and that's when I really felt truly comfortable going with the second person. 

• McNulty likes this

#24 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:22 PM

Very good read!

Have you gotten any feedback from either Luck or those you have spoken to?
@Miller192

#25 KevinVanValkenburg ‏

KevinVanValkenburg ‏
  • Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:41 PM

I haven't gotten any feedback from the Luck or the Colts, but that's not a surprise. I would say, about 90 percent of the time, professional athletes have almost no reaction when you write a "nice" story about them. If you write something negative, you'll likely hear about it. But most of them don't react much. Andrew Luck has had so many articles written about him over the years, I doubt he even bothers to read them now unless someone points out something in there that he should be peeved about. 

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:35 AM

Grantland: The beautiful mind of Andrew Luck
http://www.grantland...-of-andrew-luck

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:21 AM

Nice 23-7 win at KC yesterday. Should be Jacksonville Sunday, and enter the Playoffs on a 3 game winning streak.

Were a different team after losing Wayne, but still respect that they beat SF, Seattle, and Denver this year.

#28 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:50 PM

CBS SportsAndrew Luck in favor of bringing Jonathan Martin to Indianapolis

Specifically, Luck was asked what he would tell the Colts' front office if he were asked about Martin, "I'd say I love Jon, we had a great time at Stanford together, still stay in touch with him regularly and I think he's a great man," Luck said.

Just to be clear though, the Colts quarterback was also asked if he'd be 100 percent in favor of bringing Martin to Indianapolis, "Yes," Luck said.

@levineps

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:10 AM

Sports on Earth: GM for a Day
http://www.sportsone...rticle/68844828

#30 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:31 AM

Colts owner Jim Irsay arrested

Colts owner Jim Irsay faces four felony counts after being arrested late Sunday night on preliminary charges of possession of a controlled substance and driving while intoxicated.

That apple didn't fall so far from the tree after all.

#31 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:32 AM

Colts owner Jim Irsay arrested

That apple didn't fall so far from the tree after all.

A guy with his money should be able to hire a Mayflower moving truck to take him wherever he needs to go.

• You Play to Win the Game, BSLMikeLowe, Oriole85 and 2 others like this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#32 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,558 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:20 PM

I don't get why rich people don't hire drivers.

If money was never an issue I would never drive anywhere there was an even remote possibility I could drink.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#33 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:25 PM

I don't get why rich people don't hire drivers.

If money was never an issue I would never drive anywhere there was an even remote possibility I could drink.

In terms of your first point, I think it's a sense of independence. That said, there's even less of an excuse for them to drive drunk.

@levineps

#34 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:11 PM

@roddywhiteTV I want to see what the NFL does about this Jim Irsay situation if a player loses a game check no matter the amount he should lose a game day

@roddywhiteTV I'm guessing a million dollar fine will come which is nothing to a man that makes billions

@levineps

#35 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:11 PM

@roddywhiteTV I want to see what the NFL does about this Jim Irsay situation if a player loses a game check no matter the amount he should lose a game day

@roddywhiteTV I'm guessing a million dollar fine will come which is nothing to a man that makes billions

Tony and Mike said that he should be suspended from all Colts' operations indefinitely. I think that's a close approximation.

We'll see what, if anything, Goodell will do. He pretty much has to do something unless he wants a royally pissed-off players association.

@DJ_McCann

#36 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:07 PM

Tony and Mike said that he should be suspended from all Colts' operations indefinitely. I think that's a close approximation.

We'll see what, if anything, Goodell will do. He pretty much has to do something unless he wants a royally pissed-off players association.

Too late.

But yeah, a Steinbrenner/Schott like suspension could be about as strong a message you can send.

#37 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:36 PM

Too late.

But yeah, a Steinbrenner/Schott like suspension could be about as strong a message you can send.

I doubt it would be that much. Just having him away through training camp or part of the season would probably have an effect.

@DJ_McCann

#38 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:40 PM

I doubt it would be that much. Just having him away through training camp or part of the season would probably have an effect.

I'm thinking a whole season. The extended time away might actually be the best thing for him.

#39 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:02 PM

ESPNInside Slant: Jim Irsay and NFL discipline

In 2010, the NFL suspended Detroit Lions president Tom Lewand for 30 days after he pleaded guilty to drunken driving. Lewand was reinstated after 21 days away from the team. Last summer, the Denver Broncos suspended two executives -- Matt Russell and Tom Heckert -- for 60 and 30 days, respectively, after drunken driving arrests.

@levineps

#40 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:16 AM

CBS SportsTony Dungy: NFL needs to punish Jim Irsay

Glad to see Dungy taking a stand here.

"I think they have to. Everybody is going to look at this and say, when this situation arises with a player, that action is taken," Dungy said. "It happened with front office people in Denver, I believe last year, and action was taken. If the commissioner doesn't step in with something, I don't think it will be good. I think something has to be done, and again, hopefully everyone benefits from it."

“I was heartbroken. I've known Jim Irsay for 13 years now," Dungy said. "He's a special guy to me -- a person who is very self-sacrificing and would do anything for you. He did some unbelievable things for me, for my family, for the city of Indianapolis, and I just want him to do well. He's struggling with some prescription painkillers and other medications -- he made a big mistake. I was sad to see that but I'm hoping that this will be the silver lining in the cloud -- he will reach out and get some help and grow from this."

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=