2297 replies to this topic

#121 Zwolfe0

Zwolfe0

Zack W.

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

That Grantland article on Liverpool was okay, but I could have browsed the Wikipedia page too and wrote the same thing. There is way more to the recent history and drama than the article lets on. Also, a kid drove his bike into Gerrard's BMW at a stop sign. I was in Liverpool the day it happened. Anyways, there was no mention of the Tom Hicks and George Gillett disaster ownership era. Liverpool was saved from the brink of administration (see Rangers F.C., Portsmouth F.C.) by John Henry and FSG. Yeah, Fernando Torres left, but it was Xabi Alonso's departure that started the free fall. Alonso leaves and all of a sudden Liverpool has not been able to complete a pass in 3 years. Rafa Benitez departs, and Roy Hodgson (now England manager), is the unfortunate sacrificial lamb as Liverpool pulled itself out of the abyss. Then her majesty tax laws kick in at 50% on high wage earners and Liverpool finds itself as a middle market equivalent to Baltimore. Not only do you have to overpay for players anyway, you also have to pay them more to lure them away from London or the money in Manchester. Liverpool brings Kenny Dalglish back as manager and it seems to work at first as they finish 2010 on a high note. He wins the League Cup in 2011 but then the wheels fall off again and Liverpool is left trying to find a new identity, again.

This is why I support Liverpool. It's a team you can ride the highs and lows with. It's not a ready made championship team like Chelsea, Man U or Man CIty. It also doesn't have the luxury of having multiple world class players rotting on it's bench just because. The 2005 Champions League team was made up of solid, largely unknown players that were led by two of Liverpool's own Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher. Once Liverpool gets going as a team there's not a better team in all of sports to follow. All of the games will be televised across ESPN, FSC and FSC Plus. Liverpool fans are everywhere stateside and you can find a packed No Idea Tavern at 7am on a Sunday to watch them play Norwich.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you. - Woody Hayes

#122 Zwolfe0

Zwolfe0

Zack W.

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:49 PM

Are you aware of who owns Liverpool FC?

Better question, are you aware of who used to own Liverpool FC and what they did to the team? Follow up question, are you aware of how John Henry saved the team? Say what you want about the Red Sox and it's fans, I dislike them due to my Orioles affiliation. But Henry, Werner and FSG have been nothing but great as they saved the club from administration.
There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you. - Woody Hayes

#123 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:49 PM

Better question, are you aware of who used to own Liverpool FC and what they did to the team? Follow up question, are you aware of how John Henry saved the team? Say what you want about the Red Sox and it's fans, I dislike them due to my Orioles affiliation. But Henry, Werner and FSG have been nothing but great as they saved the club from administration.

I'm fully aware of all of that. I was just poking fun.

#124 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:55 PM

Are you aware of who owns Liverpool FC?

Anyone short of the reanimated corpse of Bob Irsay and I'll be OK.

#125 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:11 PM

Excellent post Zwolfe0. Keep 'em coming, I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the EPL, this being my first season following it closely.

#126 Zwolfe0

Zwolfe0

Zack W.

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:57 AM

Thanks Ricker! I'm also curious to see how Fulham does this season. The team has been quietly loading up a nice mix of good, young talent from lower Euro leagues and adding experienced EPL players. I was never quite sure why Liverpool got rid of John Arne Riise, except for the own goal in the UCL semi's maybe. But it's not out of the question to expect Fulham to make a cup run and be a player for a top 6 spot. Now, I wish Dempsey would have just played this year and moved on in January or next summer. His starting spot was solidified on a team that could make some noise.

#127 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

Reading making a game of it. Just scored off a free kick and up 2-1.

#128 Zwolfe0

Zwolfe0

Zack W.

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

I have a feeling Fulham will beat Man U and Liverpool and MCFC will draw. What are your thoughts on the weekend? I'm really out of the loop on the league as a whole. I'm not complaining, but I haven't even started the transition from baseball to soccer. It's exhausting following two teams in a playoff hunt.

#129 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:18 AM

West Ham are having a nightmare of a game against Swansea. Two gift goals, one a deflection off the keeper and one off a horrible back pass.

#130 Zwolfe0

Zwolfe0

Zack W.

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

It's nice to see a thundering header against zonal marking. I saw a lot of those against Liverpool during the Benitez era. 1-0 Liverpool.

"Liverpool, Liverpool, Liverpool"

#131 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:41 AM

It's nice to see a thundering header against zonal marking. I saw a lot of those against Liverpool during the Benitez era. 1-0 Liverpool.

"Liverpool, Liverpool, Liverpool"

How about that Tevez shot off the post? Crazy angle.

#132 Zwolfe0

Zwolfe0

Zack W.

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

With the way Liverpool's luck has been playing out I fully expected that to curve in. Though, Tevez was trying to draw contact for the PK and possible red card. So maybe that's just karma coming back at him.

#133 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

Suarez with a beauty of a free kick.

#134 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

Oh and Skrtel gives one back to Tevez. Terrible, terrible.

#135 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

Yahoo: Real Madrid's Granero latest QPR capture
http://sports.yahoo....33774--sow.html

#136 Zwolfe0

Zwolfe0

Zack W.

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

Granero heading to QPR is interesting. He's a really good center mid that can play in either an attacking or holding/defensive role. For the life of me I do not know how QPR can afford this growing wage bill. They sure are spending a lot of money to ensure a 15th place finish.

#137 Zwolfe0

Zwolfe0

Zack W.

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:32 AM

Maurice Edu moves to Stoke, not a bad move for an up and coming USMNT regular. Dempsey has declined lateral moves to Aston Villa and Sunderland. I really hope he winds up at Liverpool, but it looks like Liverpool won't pay 9 million GBP asking price.

#138 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

Maurice Edu moves to Stoke, not a bad move for an up and coming USMNT regular. Dempsey has declined lateral moves to Aston Villa and Sunderland. I really hope he winds up at Liverpool, but it looks like Liverpool won't pay 9 million GBP asking price.

I just wish something would get figured out because I don't like my Saturdays (or Sundays/Mondays) without Clint Dempsey on the field...loved watching him play every week and these first two weeks have been downers...
@brobey1

#139 Zwolfe0

Zwolfe0

Zack W.

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:51 AM

I just wish something would get figured out because I don't like my Saturdays (or Sundays/Mondays) without Clint Dempsey on the field...loved watching him play every week and these first two weeks have been downers...

I kind of wish he'd just play this season out at Fulham. Granted he is 29 and that's the make or break age for a bigger move and payday. But Fulham this season could be entertaining and competitive. They keep acquiring decent players, most notably the 31 year old Berbatov.

#140 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:56 AM

I kind of wish he'd just play this season out at Fulham. Granted he is 29 and that's the make or break age for a bigger move and payday. But Fulham this season could be entertaining and competitive. They keep acquiring decent players, most notably the 31 year old Berbatov.

With Dempsey (and now Berbs up front), with the squad they have, they could easily challenge for a European slot this year...I had Everton as my "surprise" top 4 team this year, but if Dempsey played out the season with Fulham this year, I wouldn't be shocked to see Fulham Top 4/Top 6.
@brobey1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=