2295 replies to this topic

#101 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:51 PM

Someone forgot to tell United they were a goal down.

#102 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

Are you guys United fans?

#103 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

Middlesbrough.

#104 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

What should I expect to see from the Chelsea/Reading match Wednesday night?

#105 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:05 PM

Middlesbrough.

Gotcha - as a seasoned EPL fan, how shocking was today's outcome?

#106 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:09 PM

Gotcha - as a seasoned EPL fan, how shocking was today's outcome?

United have a habit of starting slow and Everton are always tough at Goodison. They're a quality side. Mildly surprising but not a huge shocker.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#107 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:10 PM

Chelsea are the English Barcelona now. Loads of talent and they play attractive football. They should win handily.

#108 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

United have a habit of starting slow and Everton are always tough at Goodison. They're a quality side. Mildly surprising but not a huge shocker.

Gotcha, that's kinda what I was thinking. Now the Toffee's are 4-17 all-time vs. ManU at Goodison. Pretty crazy.

#109 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,153 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:41 PM

SI: Breaking down all 20 clubs by tier
http://sportsillustr...#?sct=sc_t11_a2

#110 Zwolfe0

Zwolfe0

Zack W.

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:55 PM

I don't even know where to begin with the first start of the EPL season. I think you can include Fulham as a tier 2 team in the SI rankings. Fulham has gradually started to acquire good, affordable talent that is a nice mix of experience with up and coming. They also managed to find an acceptable replacement for Hodgson in Martin Jol that could get them back into the Europa League and maybe even a League Cup. I am disappointed in Dempsey. I would love for Dempsey to move to Liverpool, but at 29 and 10 million GBP, he does not fit into FSG business model. You could argue they would make that up in stateside marketing, which is plausible. He should have put in a transfer request or just plan to play out the year. If he didn't sign a new contract he could have moved on in the January window.
There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you. - Woody Hayes

#111 Zwolfe0

Zwolfe0

Zack W.

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:56 PM

Probably a comfortable Chelsea win. 3-1 with a late Reading goal.
There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you. - Woody Hayes

#112 Zwolfe0

Zwolfe0

Zack W.

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

I'm hoping LFC can bounce back against MCFC on Sunday. The Hearts game in between should be interesting, but I expect the B squad to win that easily. Liverpool has not played like an elite team since 2009 and I'm hoping BR's style will bring that back. They've had a bad habit of playing like a tier 1 team against the other tier 1 teams, but in reality they're a tier 2 team that fails to play down to the tier 3's.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#113 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:22 PM

I'm hoping LFC can bounce back against MCFC on Sunday. The Hearts game in between should be interesting, but I expect the B squad to win that easily. Liverpool has not played like an elite team since 2009 and I'm hoping BR's style will bring that back. They've had a bad habit of playing like a tier 1 team against the other tier 1 teams, but in reality they're a tier 2 team that fails to play down to the tier 3's.

Rodgers is a great manager and I have to think he's still getting a feel for his squad. The class is there.

If Downing is starting Sunday I may have to rethink my position, though.

#114 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:33 PM

Not exactly Premier League, but a UK football story I found interesting:

http://prosoccertalk... ... n-britain/

Rangers F.C., the Glasgow-based club that dominated Scottish soccer for years and was relegated to the Fourth Division of that nation's football league after their financial collapse and reformation over the offseason, drew 49,000 to their first match on Saturday. That was the third-highest attendance of any match that day in Britain, in a league that usually draws in the few-hundreds.

#115 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:49 PM

Not exactly Premier League, but a UK football story I found interesting:

http://prosoccertalk... ... n-britain/

Rangers F.C., the Glasgow-based club that dominated Scottish soccer for years and was relegated to the Fourth Division of that nation's football league after their financial collapse and reformation over the offseason, drew 49,000 to their first match on Saturday. That was the third-highest attendance of any match that day in Britain, in a league that usually draws in the few-hundreds.

That's pretty crazy.

Did you settle on rooting for Southampton F.C.? Tough end to their match with City last week; although their first match since being promoted, visiting the defending league champions, I'd say they presented their selves quite well.

#116 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:53 PM

It's a shame what happened to Rangers.

#117 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:56 PM

That's pretty crazy.

Did you settle on rooting for Southampton F.C.? Tough end to their match with City last week; although their first match since being promoted, visiting the defending league champions, I'd say they presented their selves quite well.

It's funny. I was sitting at work on Saturday catching up on my reading, and I read Grantland's article on Liverpool and realized they were an even better example of what I was thinking of in a possible team choice. So I started looking into them. In the process I started checking the scores from the first day and saw that they lost 3-0 to West Brom*, so I wasn't sure if I still wanted to go that route.

We'll see. I might just try to watch a bit closer this year and see if a team really does fit.

*Funny, since the one guy I know who is into soccer, my father's Birmingham-born boss, is a big fan of the Baggies, so I always keep an eye on them.

#118 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:15 PM

It's funny. I was sitting at work on Saturday catching up on my reading, and I read Grantland's article on Liverpool and realized they were an even better example of what I was thinking of in a possible team choice. So I started looking into them. In the process I started checking the scores from the first day and saw that they lost 3-0 to West Brom*, so I wasn't sure if I still wanted to go that route.

We'll see. I might just try to watch a bit closer this year and see if a team really does fit.

*Funny, since the one guy I know who is into soccer, my father's Birmingham-born boss, is a big fan of the Baggies, so I always keep an eye on them.

Well, I'm a newly adopted Evertonian, so I hope you don't settle on Liverpool, naturally. ;)

#119 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:33 PM

Are you aware of who owns Liverpool FC?

#120 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members