729 replies to this topic

#401 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,281 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 06:41 PM

Being completely honest, they should have done better than 1 goal just in the 1st half. Weah did not have his best game IMO, and there were several good chances he was involved in that they missed.

Even the first 10-15 min of the 2nd half they had real chances.

#402 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,281 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 06:43 PM

They've got my attention, but I was talking more the world generally. 

Won the Gold Cup, Won the Nations League...   got this young, talented team....    2026 WC in Canada / Mexico / US....  could be set-up for a nice run. 

They feel like they are legit and on the come up. Certainly not a fav this year but can compete. The '22 Dolphins is my comp

#403 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,321 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 29 November 2022 - 06:48 PM

Being completely honest, they should have done better than 1 goal just in the 1st half. Weah did not have his best game IMO, and there were several good chances he was involved in that they missed.

The US has clearly struggled with finishing in this tournament. But they have gotten much better in generating shots. They did have 12 shots today with 5 on goal. By comparison the Netherlands had 13 shots today yet only had 4 on target. 

#404 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 06:48 PM

The Iranian dives were horrific.  I don't know if they were trying to win a soccer game or an Oscar.

Glad to see USA advancing.

#405 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 06:53 PM

Why is offsides in soccer a thing

Soccer needs a shot clock badly. Nothing crazy, but I’d settle for like 120 seconds.

I had read one of the WC games featured neither team taking a single shot. I mean, what the hell are you even doing for 90+ minutes? I don’t think the shot clock made basketball worse.
@BSLMikeRandall

#406 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,477 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 29 November 2022 - 07:01 PM

Pelvic contusion for Pulisic. Day-to-day.

#407 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,321 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 29 November 2022 - 07:20 PM

Soccer needs a shot clock badly. Nothing crazy, but I’d settle for like 120 seconds.

I had read one of the WC games featured neither team taking a single shot. I mean, what the hell are you even doing for 90+ minutes? I don’t think the shot clock made basketball worse.

Mike, with all due respect stick to football.....lol.

• Hooded Viper, Mashed Potatoes and DuffMan like this

#408 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,249 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 07:39 PM

I find every WC game watchable. Something about wearing the National uniforms.   Sometimes I'm amazed anyone can score.  But there is drama, and intensity from the opening moments.

• DuffMan, Dupin and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#409 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,321 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 29 November 2022 - 08:04 PM

I just posted a thought on my main soccer forum. Ongoing bashing of Berhalter and the subs he has used. Wrote a fairly long dissection of why I think most of these options are faulty but wanted to share my bottom line here.

"You are simply guessing, sure maybe educated guessing, that had the changes suggested been made that they would have been better, the same, OR worse than what was actually done. Its easy to chastise things when there is no way to know what actually would have transpired."

Its easy to be an internet expert on something like this, and yes me included, when you can't be proven wrong.

#410 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 08:12 PM

I just posted a thought on my main soccer forum. Ongoing bashing of Berhalter and the subs he has used. Wrote a fairly long dissection of why I think most of these options are faulty but wanted to share my bottom line here.

"You are simply guessing, sure maybe educated guessing, that had the changes suggested been made that they would have been better, the same, OR worse than what was actually done. Its easy to chastise things when there is no way to know what actually would have transpired."[/size]

Its easy to be an internet expert on something like this, and yes me included, when you can't be proven wrong.[/size]

He’s getting pretty roasted by top US commentators for his subs, timing and choices. I just can’t fathom how a player who is top 10 in the world, according to Taylor Twellman, among players under 20 and under years old has 5 minutes of playing time through 3 games. Especially when we have problems finishing. Reyna should be playing way more!

#411 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 08:12 PM

I find every WC game watchable. Something about wearing the National uniforms. Sometimes I'm amazed anyone can score. But there is drama, and intensity from the opening moments.

I find it hard to believe a game with zero shots taken has intensity and drama. An NFL game where neither team crosses midfield, nor tries a forward pass would be the equivalent and you wouldn’t sell me on it being intense or dramatic. It could have the pomp of circumstance of the Super Bowl and be boring as hell.

Mind you, I’m only singling out that game. I’m sure there are plenty of 0-0 soccer games where there are near misses that are dramatic, or goalies making great saves.
@BSLMikeRandall

#412 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 29 November 2022 - 08:14 PM

Pulisic has certainly raised his stock for the transfer window in January.  Can't wait for him to be done with Chelsea and go somewhere where he will get more PT!

• You Play to Win the Game and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#413 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 29 November 2022 - 08:18 PM

That's got to be an exaggeration.  I did a quick google and found this.

https://www.si.com/f...or-fewest-shots

Fewest shots ever occurred this WC between Qatar and Ecuador only 11 which is a lot more than 0 and there were two goals.

#414 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 08:18 PM

Mike, with all due respect stick to football.....lol.

It’s all good. Just my opinion the sport could use some more action around the goal boxes. I know it’s not a popular opinion.
@BSLMikeRandall

#415 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 08:22 PM

That's got to be an exaggeration. I did a quick google and found this.

https://www.si.com/f...or-fewest-shots

Fewest shots ever occurred this WC between Qatar and Ecuador only 11 which is a lot more than 0 and there were two goals.

Ok. Looking back I think it was Uruguay/South Korea. And I guess it was shots on goal, and not just shots. Didn’t realize there was a difference. I thought I read zero. But the box score says there was 1 shot on goal that game.
@BSLMikeRandall

#416 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 29 November 2022 - 08:26 PM

Meanwhile down on the Farm the U16 team just wrapped up 3 games at the Football Federations Cup  with the following results

2-2 tie against Spain

2-1 win over England

4-1 win over Wales

• Hooded Viper and Mashed Potatoes like this

#417 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 29 November 2022 - 08:27 PM

Ok. Looking back I think it was Uruguay/South Korea. And I guess it was shots on goal, and not just shots. Didn’t realize there was a difference. I thought I read zero. But the box score says there was 1 shot on goal that game.

Yup the shots and shots on goal are separate, just like hockey.

#418 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,601 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 29 November 2022 - 09:08 PM

Netherlands 0 - 0 USA as the two teams prepare for Saturday’s match

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#419 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 10:11 PM

I find it hard to believe a game with zero shots taken has intensity and drama. An NFL game where neither team crosses midfield, nor tries a forward pass would be the equivalent and you wouldn’t sell me on it being intense or dramatic. It could have the pomp of circumstance of the Super Bowl and be boring as hell.

Mind you, I’m only singling out that game. I’m sure there are plenty of 0-0 soccer games where there are near misses that are dramatic, or goalies making great saves.

Some of those 9-6 defensive struggle games are pretty boring.

#420 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 10:13 PM

Some of those 9-6 defensive struggle games are pretty boring.

No doubt. Some are.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=