729 replies to this topic

#381 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,558 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 04:09 PM

As someone who has only ever paid attention to USA soccer during the WC. This group feels different. Young, athletic, control possession. Its enticing and enthralling when it feels like you have a real shot to compete with and beat the elite.

#382 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,554 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 November 2022 - 04:11 PM

As someone who has only ever paid attention to USA soccer during the WC. This group feels different. Young, athletic, control possession. Its enticing and enthralling when it feels like you have a real shot to compete with and beat the elite.

They look like they belong and not like you should be shocked when they get a result. Huge difference.
  • DuffMan, BSLSteveBirrer and TwentyThirtyFive like this

#383 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,558 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 04:14 PM

They look like they belong and not like you should be shocked when they get a result. Huge difference.

Absolutely. Again I know little about soccer but you dont need to know much. Anyone can go to any athletic field anywhere in the world and size up the teams fairly well. Especially over 3 games. One of which was England who looked much different in the game against USA than Iran or Wales.

#384 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 29 November 2022 - 04:15 PM

Credit to Iran they made them earn it in the second half.

#385 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,558 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 04:24 PM

Credit to Iran they made them earn it in the second half.

US has to convert a few more opportunities earlier. Should have had at minimum 2 today
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#386 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,455 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 29 November 2022 - 04:25 PM

So much to day but I am gassed...lol.

But here's a couple of key thoughts.

1. Losing Pulisic put a crimp in the expected second half plan. Knowing Iran had to come forward he's the guy to speahead the counters. Aaronson was solid in his place though.

2. Sargent was very good with his holdup play and left it all on the field Wright not so much. Just not happy with his effort.

3. Kudos to the ref for not  falling for the Iraninan dives. He did miss one bad one and the ensuing free kick was almost trouble. But at the speed of play its tough to get them all correct.

and last but not least:

4. Fantastic subs by Berhalter. Right guys at the right time. Switching to the bunker the last 10 was the right move as was putting in the big defenders in Zimmerman and Moore. Both were good. Zimmerman was fantastic in the air. Moore tamped down the right side but did have one poor pass but it was in the attacking third so no real danger. I will say I think in hindsight Ferreira would have been a better sub than Wright. Wright is in there for his physical presence but Ferreira's work rate is just so much higher.

Bring on the Dutch!!!

• You Play to Win the Game and DuffMan like this

#387 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 29 November 2022 - 04:32 PM

Yeah I hope Sargent is good to go for Saturday because I though he was great up front there often times with his back to the goal.

#388 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 04:40 PM

Jeez I can’t take much more of this shizzle! First clean game by GB, IMO “, but Reyna is going to be needed against The Dutch, especially if CP is out! Great MTFing win!

#389 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,531 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 29 November 2022 - 04:41 PM

That was about as much pressure going into a game as this group has had together, and they responded. Just have to hope Pulisic and Sargent are okay to go Saturday.

#390 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,444 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 04:58 PM

Fox post game said Pulisic went to the hospital.

#391 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,554 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 November 2022 - 05:06 PM

Heard a report that Iranians were celebrating on the streets when Pulisic scored. I can’t imagine this general sentiment and pressure was a positive for those Iranian players. Crazy things going on in that part of the world right now.

#392 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,531 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 05:25 PM

https://twitter.com/...715315139280896

• BSLChrisStoner and DuffMan like this

#393 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,444 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 05:30 PM

Now you want people to really take notice? Go beat the Dutch. 

Perfect game for the Americans.  No huge pressure, and they can just go out and be aggressive.

#394 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,531 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 05:38 PM

Is Netherlands that good this cycle, outside of Gakpo? Seemed pretty much preordained they'd win that group with the likes of Qatar and Ecuador in there with them.

#395 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,444 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 05:43 PM

Is Netherlands that good this cycle, outside of Gakpo? Seemed pretty much preordained they'd win that group with the likes of Qatar and Ecuador in there with them.

I think they're 8th in the world and the power rankings I've seen have had them 8th - 10th.  Lots of good not great write-ups.

#396 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,558 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 06:07 PM

I may be way off here but Id rather them face the Dutch than Senegal

#397 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 06:07 PM

1 goal? Pfffft.

I get everyone is super happy to get through the group stage, but I feel like that’s setting the bar too low.

I’m with Chris, beat Netherlands if you want my attention.
@BSLMikeRandall

#398 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,554 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 November 2022 - 06:09 PM

One goal is all they needed. Iran played desperately from that Pulisic goal on, and they held on.

Netherlands will be tough. But yeah, they didn’t light the world on fire in their group at all.
  • DuffMan likes this

#399 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,444 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 06:18 PM

1 goal? Pfffft.

I get everyone is super happy to get through the group stage, but I feel like that’s setting the bar too low.

I’m with Chris, beat Netherlands if you want my attention.

They've got my attention, but I was talking more the world generally. 

Won the Gold Cup, Won the Nations League...   got this young, talented team....    2026 WC in Canada / Mexico / US....  could be set-up for a nice run. 

#400 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,531 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 06:21 PM

Being completely honest, they should have done better than 1 goal just in the 1st half. Weah did not have his best game IMO, and there were several good chances he was involved in that they missed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=