729 replies to this topic

#421 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 10:28 PM

US gets to the semi. Beats Netherlands and Poland before running into Brazil.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#422 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 04:53 AM

Soccer needs a shot clock badly. Nothing crazy, but I’d settle for like 120 seconds.

Why should the most popular sport in the world fundamentally change to accommodate non fans?
  • Hooded Viper, DuffMan and BSLSteveBirrer like this
@DaKittenz

#423 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 05:57 AM

Part of what makes soccer great is that goals are so rare, when they do occur they're extremely meaningful, and therefore every close shot is a moment of extreme tension. Compare that to lacrosse, which was my favorite sport to play but find boring to watch because there are so many goals that each one is almost meaningless in the grand scheme.
  • Hooded Viper and BSLSteveBirrer like this
@DaKittenz

#424 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 November 2022 - 08:42 AM

Part of what makes soccer great is that goals are so rare, when they do occur they're extremely meaningful, and therefore every close shot is a moment of extreme tension. Compare that to lacrosse, which was my favorite sport to play but find boring to watch because there are so many goals that each one is almost meaningless in the grand scheme.

Ding ding ding.

American sports fans entire culture is based upon scoring. All you have to do is look no further than the progression of rules over the years.

Football - Everything to protect the QBs. Sure they are the highest paid players and the "stars" fans want to see. Why? Because they put up the points.

NBA - Added a 3 point arc and banned zone defense. Defense? We don't need no stinking defense. Rules totally put in place to enhance scoring.

Baseball - Banning the shift with the expressed desire to increase offense.

And there is nothing wrong with that. Its what drives those sports. But I strongly oppose changing soccer to fit that culture. Soccer is a tremendous sport because its so hard to score. Its makes the reward so much sweeter to me. I can't stand the NBA. They don't even attempt to play any defense until the playoffs. Watching teams toss up 30 3 pointers is boring! 

#425 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 09:25 AM

The Ringer: USA Handled the Challenge Against Iran

#426 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 09:29 AM

CBS Sports: FIFA World Cup predictions, picks, odds: Lionel Messi's Argentina and Kylian Mbappe's France favored

https://www.cbssport...france-favored/

CBS Sports: USA player ratings: Christian Pulisic leads charge and Gregg Berhalter gets big calls right at World Cup

https://www.cbssport...t-at-world-cup/

#427 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 11:00 AM

Ding ding ding.

American sports fans entire culture is based upon scoring. All you have to do is look no further than the progression of rules over the years.

Football - Everything to protect the QBs. Sure they are the highest paid players and the "stars" fans want to see. Why? Because they put up the points.

NBA - Added a 3 point arc and banned zone defense. Defense? We don't need no stinking defense. Rules totally put in place to enhance scoring.

Baseball - Banning the shift with the expressed desire to increase offense.

And there is nothing wrong with that. Its what drives those sports. But I strongly oppose changing soccer to fit that culture. Soccer is a tremendous sport because its so hard to score. Its makes the reward so much sweeter to me. I can't stand the NBA. They don't even attempt to play any defense until the playoffs. Watching teams toss up 30 3 pointers is boring! 

I agree with everything except the 3 pointers.  Would much rather watch 30 3s than see players constantly traveling to dunk the ball.

#428 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 November 2022 - 11:04 AM

I agree with everything except the 3 pointers. Would much rather watch 30 3s than see players constantly traveling to dunk the ball.

I was watching the Warriors/Mavs game last night and Luka Doncic got called for a travel in which he took about 5 steps and was livid lol. Pretty funny. He’s a stud though, ton of fun to watch.

#429 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 November 2022 - 11:49 AM

I agree with everything except the 3 pointers.  Would much rather watch 30 3s than see players constantly traveling to dunk the ball.

Agree, I think the games are aesthetically much better with 3-point shots on the rise. It spreads the floor and, if teams are efficient, creates off-ball movement to get open threes. So much better than the days where you had a lot of two guys going 1-on-1 while the other 8 stand around and watch.

Which goes to soccer. Some of the most interesting parts of the game is watching what happens away from the ball. I like sports with lots of action and movement. You can have lots of points scored with that, but it’s not required.

#430 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 30 November 2022 - 11:58 AM

Socceroos just beat Denmark to advance to the knockout round, wow!

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#431 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 12:30 PM

If Argentina draws or loses I lose all 3 legs of a parlay today. That would be impressive

#432 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 12:34 PM

I will also add that the more you watch, the more exciting it becomes, because the more you start to recognize how threats begin.  So that side-switching long ball, which seems just like a boring pass, is first of all very difficult to pull off, and secondly you recognize how it's spreading the defense, creating pockets for the offensive players.  And even if it doesn't lead to a shot, you have that moment of excitement where you anticipate that it could lead to a shot.  

I'd probably liken to hard hit ball in baseball that leads to an out.  Ultimately it leads to nothing but that moment of excitement is there.

#433 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 November 2022 - 12:51 PM

Socceroos just beat Denmark to advance to the knockout round, wow!

Big payoff for me!

Aussie Aussie Oy Oy
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#434 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 12:55 PM

I will also add that the more you watch, the more exciting it becomes, because the more you start to recognize how threats begin. So that side-switching long ball, which seems just like a boring pass, is first of all very difficult to pull off, and secondly you recognize how it's spreading the defense, creating pockets for the offensive players. And even if it doesn't lead to a shot, you have that moment of excitement where you anticipate that it could lead to a shot.

I'd probably liken to hard hit ball in baseball that leads to an out. Ultimately it leads to nothing but that moment of excitement is there.

The acting though man. The flops. Real sour taste. But the skill and tactics in a free flowing game are beautiful

#435 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 November 2022 - 12:55 PM

It's fun checking this thread to see people sensitive to criticism of soccer by people they perceive to be casuals or even ignorant themselves throwing shade that I consider to be that of a casual/uniformed person at one of my favorite sports.
  • JeremyStrain likes this

#436 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 November 2022 - 01:25 PM

The acting though man. The flops. Real sour taste. But the skill and tactics in a free flowing game are beautiful

Yeah flopping sucks. Just like in the NBA when they act like they heed to go to the hospital because someone touched them. Every sport has dumb aspects. You just see it more in soccer because the players are typically so spaced apart. Think about football and the QB underthrows a pass. Defender has perfect positioning yet the receiver just stops and bingo its PI.  Gaming the system is an unfortunate part of sports. And flopping in soccer probably tops the list.

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#437 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 01:37 PM

Yeah flopping sucks. Just like in the NBA when they act like they heed to go to the hospital because someone touched them. Every sport has dumb aspects. You just see it more in soccer because the players are typically so spaced apart. Think about football and the QB underthrows a pass. Defender has perfect positioning yet the receiver just stops and bingo its PI.  Gaming the system is an unfortunate part of sports. And flopping in soccer probably tops the list.

No doubt. Any sport where fouls are called will have some form of it. Why baseball is my fav. Little subjectivity. Especially once we do away with ump strike zones.

#438 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 30 November 2022 - 01:46 PM

It's fun checking this thread to see people sensitive to criticism by people they perceive to be casuals or even ignorant then themselves throwing shade that I consider to be that of a casual/uniformed person at one of my favorite sports.

I don’t understand this post lol
  • Mashed Potatoes likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#439 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 01:48 PM

Yeah flopping sucks. Just like in the NBA when they act like they heed to go to the hospital because someone touched them. Every sport has dumb aspects. You just see it more in soccer because the players are typically so spaced apart. Think about football and the QB underthrows a pass. Defender has perfect positioning yet the receiver just stops and bingo its PI. Gaming the system is an unfortunate part of sports. And flopping in soccer probably tops the list.

Flopping in the NBA isn’t on the same planet as flopping in soccer.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#440 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts