400 replies to this topic

#381 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:24 PM

The cheaters are always ahead of the testers.

That said, it'd be quite the risk for him to be using now.
Hes 40. Who cares. He knows his reputation is beyond tarnished anyway. Gun to my head, I'm saying he's on something. The question is how much of it is illegal. Has MLB given him any exemptions to take stuff like TRT.

This. I doubt Arod's balls work anymore. He's got a good case for a testosterone TUE.

Not that I blame Arod. He's made $400 million.

#382 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:26 PM

The cheaters are always ahead of the testers.

That said, it'd be quite the risk for him to be using now.
Hes 40. Who cares. He knows his reputation is beyond tarnished anyway. Gun to my head, I'm saying he's on something. The question is how much of it is illegal. Has MLB given him any exemptions to take stuff like TRT.

Oh I wouldn't be shocked at all if he's been using.

#383 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:29 PM

I certainly won't be talked out of not understanding how a guy like ARod gets any benefit of the doubt at this point though.

You're couching it in terms of "benefit of the doubt", which is not the right way to look at it based on what those arguing with you are saying. The opposing view is generally not, "He didn't do anything," but, "Who the hell cares?"

And for the record, I notice you're not wondering what the young Miami-raised guy who saw a 75-point slugging increase this year and hangs out with Rodriguez is on ;)

@DJ_McCann

#384 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:31 PM

I certainly won't be talked out of not understanding how a guy like ARod gets any benefit of the doubt at this point though.

You're couching it in terms of "benefit of the doubt", which is not the right way to look at it based on what those arguing with you are saying. The opposing view is generally not, "He didn't do anything," but, "Who the hell cares?"

And for the record, I notice you're not wondering what the young Miami-raised guy who saw a 75-point slugging increase this year and hangs out with Rodriguez is on ;)

The 22 year old? And no they weren't saying who cares... they were saying they don't think he cheated this year.

#385 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:37 PM

You guys think ARod was using steroids this year?  I wonder how many times he was tested.

The steroid witch hunt continues to amuse me.

Of course he was... they never did catch him before, just like they won't catch him now... he wasn't suspended for flunking tests, he was suspended because of other evidence...

The tests don't mean much when the chemists who work for the testers lag behind the chemists who work for the users.... we *know* he was using before and never got caught when it mattered... so why would you think he's not using now?   Because 40 year olds heal so good and hit like that?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#386 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:43 PM

Of course he was... they never did catch him before, just like they won't catch him now... he wasn't suspended for flunking tests, he was suspended because of other evidence...

The tests don't mean much when the chemists who work for the testers lag behind the chemists who work for the users.... we *know* he was using before and never got caught when it mattered... so why would you think he's not using now?   Because 40 year olds heal so good and hit like that?

It's cool how you always know exactly what is going on behind the scenes with everything.  It must make life real easy.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#387 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:01 PM

He's quite unlikeable for a few reasons, but the negativity he got for his transgressions was totally out of proportion with his actions.  I found him, at least this season, to be a sympathetic character.  

He's a douche, and a liar, but the way MLB and the media drug him around wasn't OK (to me).  

Honestly, I'm glad we got through an entire season with very little heard from the guy.

• You Play to Win the Game, Russ and Markus like this

@fuzydunlop

#388 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:11 PM

He's quite unlikeable for a few reasons, but the negativity he got for his transgressions was totally out of proportion with his actions. I found him, at least this season, to be a sympathetic character.

He's a douche, and a liar, but the way MLB and the media drug him around wasn't OK (to me).

Honestly, I'm glad we got through an entire season with very little heard from the guy.

Wait till he hits 4 homers in game 7 of the WS

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#389 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 02:04 AM

It's cool how you always know exactly what is going on behind the scenes with everything.  It must make life real easy.

But what do you think?   We know he was using before and didn't get caught by the tests.... that's not conjecture.   Given that, why do you think he's not using now?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#390 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,623 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:25 AM

But what do you think?   We know he was using before and didn't get caught by the tests.... that's not conjecture.   Given that, why do you think he's not using now?

The Orioles organization has been known to be poorly run and hamstrung by owner Peter Angelos which in turn causes turmoil internally. Given that, what makes you think that's not happening now despite sources to the contrary? (Seriously... No kidding... I just really want to know... Etc...)

#391 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:18 PM

The Orioles organization has been known to be poorly run and hamstrung by owner Peter Angelos which in turn causes turmoil internally. Given that, what makes you think that's not happening now despite sources to the contrary? (Seriously... No kidding... I just really want to know... Etc...)

Do you have a point?  Or do you think an owner who has caused his team to have a few ups and a big long down is just like a player who used steroids without being caught?

More to the point, do you think ARod quit using?  If so, why do you think that?

#392 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,068 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:21 PM

Because 40 year olds heal so good and hit like that?

20 year-olds don't put up 1000+ OPS seasons either.  So he was definitely cheating as far back as 1996 by your analysis.

• BobPhelan likes this

#393 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,623 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:37 PM

Do you have a point?  Or do you think an owner who has caused his team to have a few ups and a big long down is just like a player who used steroids without being caught?

More to the point, do you think ARod quit using?  If so, why do you think that?

I don't know if he quit using or not. Same as you. I don't really care. Doesn't appear to be a great guy but he's been impressive throughout most of his career including this year, steroids or not.

I just wonder your perspective if he played for us and not them.

#394 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:43 PM

20 year-olds don't put up 1000+ OPS seasons either.  So he was definitely cheating as far back as 1996 by your analysis.

I have no idea when he started... but I know he was good enough all by himself that he didn't need to... which is the sad part... (same thing with Bonds...)

I wouldn't be surprised if he started before we ever heard of him... I also wouldn't be surprised if he started about the time he signed the quarter-$billion contract with TX... I would be very surprised if he didn't start until much later than that... 

We know he was using and didn't get caught... do you think he stopped despite not getting caught?

#395 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:50 PM

High level athletes are taking PEDs in HS. Certainly by the time they are drafted and become pro athletes. Not saying ARod did, but certainly possible.
  • Russ likes this

#396 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,068 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:56 PM

We know he was using and didn't get caught... do you think he stopped despite not getting caught?

He was suspended for a year.  How is that not getting caught?

He didn't fail a test (except when he did in 2003 but it was supposed to be anonymous and without penalties), but I don't think the level of security you think he must have because of that fact would mean he's absolutely using again.  What's to stop MLB from finding a supplier or someone else again and using that evidence to get another suspension? 

#397 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:59 PM

He was suspended for a year.  How is that not getting caught?

He didn't fail a test (except when he did in 2003 but it was supposed to be anonymous and without penalties), but I don't think the level of security you think he must have because of that fact would mean he's absolutely using again.  What's to stop MLB from finding a supplier or someone else again and using that evidence to get another suspension? 

The point is that the testing didn't get him suspended, the paperwork did...  and do you really think that a once-burnt ARod, even as stupid as he is, can't easily buy a supply chain that keeps him invisible?

#398 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 05 October 2015 - 05:21 PM

The point is that the testing didn't get him suspended, the paperwork did...  and do you really think that a once-burnt ARod, even as stupid as he is, can't easily buy a supply chain that keeps him invisible?

Why didn't he do that the first time?

@DJ_McCann

#399 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 05 October 2015 - 05:52 PM

Haters gonna hate. 

@beginthebegin71