2390 replies to this topic

#2301 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 06:47 PM

Keyboardist Mike Pinder, 82. He was the last surviving founding member of the Moody Blues.

He played many instruments...Including the harp, and in particular he played the mellotron. His use of the mellotron inspired Rick Wakeman of Yes, Tony Banks of Genesis, Ian MacDonald of King Crimson and on down the line. Actually, as I understand it he taught John Lennon how to play the instrument, and ultimately Lennon came up with Strawberry Fields Forever. 

RIP. 

You inspired so many. 

• BSLMikeLowe and mdrunning like this

#2302 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,772 posts

Posted 27 April 2024 - 11:29 PM

He played many instruments...Including the harp, and in particular he played the mellotron. His use of the mellotron inspired Rick Wakeman of Yes, Tony Banks of Genesis, Ian MacDonald of King Crimson and on down the line. Actually, as I understand it he taught John Lennon how to play the instrument, and ultimately Lennon came up with Strawberry Fields Forever. 

RIP. 

You inspired so many. 

My favorite group. Saw them many times over the years. Pinder was also responsible for bringing in Justin Hayward after Denny Laine left the band in 1966. That was a pretty good get.

• CantonJester likes this

#2303 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,328 posts

Posted 05 May 2024 - 12:13 PM

https://www.bbc.com/...t-arts-68962192

RIP Theoden King.

#2304 1970

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 05 May 2024 - 01:14 PM

RIP, Bob Avellini, former Terp and Chicago Bears QB.  He was drafted in the 6th round - their 1st round pick was some guy named Walter Payton.  Avellini was the starting QB in the first Maryland game I ever watched.  Randy White was the first overall pick in that same draft.

https://www.nbcsport...lini-dies-at-70

#2305 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 15,081 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 May 2024 - 07:31 AM

Jimmy Carter 99

Former President and tremendous human being.

RIP

Everything I see says he's "coming to the end" but don't see that he passed.

• russsnyder likes this

#2306 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 17 May 2024 - 09:13 AM

Everything I see says he's "coming to the end" but don't see that he passed.

I read it wrong.

My mistake.

He's a great human being who is still on earth.
  • BobPhelan likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#2307 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 15,081 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 May 2024 - 10:07 AM

I read it wrong.

My mistake.

He's a great human being who is still on earth.

I only checked because I get a day off at work when a president passes and I told a co-worker he died and they said “where are you seeing this??” 😂
  • russsnyder likes this

#2308 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 17 May 2024 - 01:05 PM

I only checked because I get a day off at work when a president passes and I told a co-worker he died and they said “where are you seeing this??” 😂

I had no idea that was a policy.

Sorry you didn't get the day off, but it seems imminent.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#2309 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 15,081 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 May 2024 - 03:35 PM

I had no idea that was a policy.

Sorry you didn't get the day off, but it seems imminent.

The day off can wait, long live Jimmy C.
  • Mike B and russsnyder like this

#2310 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 02:39 PM

Dabney Coleman 92

#2311 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,772 posts

Posted 20 May 2024 - 12:03 AM

Hall of Fame NFL center Jim Otto, 86. Was one of just three players to play in every AFL game from 1960 to 1969 until the merger in 1970. 

#2312 1970

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 27 May 2024 - 12:25 PM

Bill Walton.  https://www.espn.com...-walton-dies-71

One of the best, most dominant college b-ball players I ever saw.  Too bad foot injuries hurt his effectiveness as a pro (I forget at what point they started).

• Mackus likes this

#2313 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,044 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 May 2024 - 01:37 PM

That one’s gonna sting here in Portland. Ironic he passes just two days after the PAC-12, his beloved Conference of Champions, staged what may well be its final sporting event ever.

#2314 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,044 posts

Posted 27 May 2024 - 01:41 PM

Bill Walton.  https://www.espn.com...-walton-dies-71

One of the best, most dominant college b-ball players I ever saw.  Too bad foot injuries hurt his effectiveness as a pro (I forget at what point they started).

He had many injuries over the years. But the one that seemed to change the trajectory of his career was the season after the Blazers won the title in 1977. They had the best record in the league when he injured his foot and missed the rest of the regular season. The Blazers still made it to the playoffs without him (and he won the MVP despite playing in just 58 games). He tried to come back and play in the 2nd Round, likely too soon, and it only made matters worse. I think that was what led to a falling out between him and the Blazers organization - he eventually asked for a trade and didn't play in '78-'79, then left as a free agent.

#2315 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,216 posts

Posted 27 May 2024 - 01:41 PM

Did he do games this past CBB season?

#2316 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,044 posts

Posted 27 May 2024 - 01:45 PM

Did he do games this past CBB season?

Yes. He called MDs game at UCLA. But did stop during the season for undisclosed health reasons. Now we know it was obviously serious.
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#2317 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,825 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 May 2024 - 07:58 PM

Walton may have been the best passing big man, that I ever saw.  I seem to remember him doing some of the final Pac10 tourney games.

RIP Bill, you were certainly unique.  

• mdrunning likes this
@mikeghg

#2318 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 27 May 2024 - 09:28 PM

It all rolls into one
And nothing comes for free
There's nothing you can hold
For very long
And when you hear that song
Come crying like the wind
It seems like all this life 
Was just a dream
Stella Blue

RIP to a legend. 

• Mike B likes this

#2319 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,772 posts

Posted 27 May 2024 - 11:19 PM

Walton turned down an opportunity to play for the 1972 Olympic team, the one that went on to lose to the Soviets in a controversial finish. Had Walton played, there would have been no controversial finish.

• Mike B likes this

#2320 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,772 posts

Posted 27 May 2024 - 11:26 PM

He had many injuries over the years. But the one that seemed to change the trajectory of his career was the season after the Blazers won the title in 1977. They had the best record in the league when he injured his foot and missed the rest of the regular season. The Blazers still made it to the playoffs without him (and he won the MVP despite playing in just 58 games). He tried to come back and play in the 2nd Round, likely too soon, and it only made matters worse. I think that was what led to a falling out between him and the Blazers organization - he eventually asked for a trade and didn't play in '78-'79, then left as a free agent.

That '78 Blazer team started 50-10 and looked poised to tear through the playoffs once more until the injuries--starting with Walton--set in. 

Much of the medical knowledge used to treat today's players comes from case studies of Walton's feet back in the 1970s and 1980s. Given the number of careers that have been saved as a result of the orthopedic knowledge gained as a result, you could argue that Walton's feet deserve to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame. Special contributors or something of that nature.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=