#21 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

Mackeys is the place that I think is really overrated.

#22 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,542 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

If I recall they have specials on bombs during certain times but yea, that place is nothing special.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#23 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,542 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:52 PM

BTW, if anyone is drinking in the Ellicott City/Columbia area and they want a good review, look no further than your boy Pedro.

I may prefer Coors Light, but I know my bars.

@bopper33

#24 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,754 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

I hear that a lot :)

#25 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

It's Macky's without an "e" but whatev. I am just an OC traditionalist and know-it-all.

Their food is bland. Wouldn't eat there but they have a decent HH and you can't beat their bayside location. More chill than Seacrets.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#26 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

Ya'll need to check out Frog Bar, end of boardwalk, behind the shopping village. Best burgers in OC, great view, cheap beer, and the bomb breakfast sandwich -- The Frogzilla.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#27 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:29 PM

I thought Mackys didn't have an e.

I recently discovered Sunset Grill...that place is great.

And who doesn't love Smittys?

#28 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:00 AM

Sunset Grill is good. My wife loves that place. I am less enthusiastic about it but enjoy it for a special occasion.

The Shark is a place everyone raves about, I never really understood the hype...food was always pretty bland to me.

Never been to Smitty's. Tried to go before, too crowded. Will have to check it out.

Jimmy's Kitchen in Fenwick is a must for breaking your fast.

Crabcake Factory on 120th, awesome food at good prices. Great crabcakes.

Catch 54 was great before it burned down, awesome views from the bar and lower level of the restaurant. I haven't been back before they reopened but I've heard they're expensive and it doesn't look like the views are as great as they were before.

Stay away from Guido's Burritos on the boardwalk. They're rice burritos with a side of rice....no matter which burrito you get.

I wanted to like 28th Street Pit & Pub since it's a Baltimore bar across the street from a Steelers bar, but the crab dip was God-awful and my friends had bad food there too. Also the bartenders were basically admitting to watering down shots and making their own versions of known cocktails, etc....right in front of customers.

#29 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

Has anyone ever been to Tequila Mockingbird?

My family has tried to go to that place at least 10 times over the years, and it's always over an hour wait so we decide to go elsewhere.

#30 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

Smittys has awesome wings...a lot of very good bar food.

BJs on the water is really good.  Nice to sit outside on the water.

Always like Harpoon Hannas...and now, they have the Lobster restaurant on 54....that's excellent.

Never eaten at the Crabcake factory..Might try that next week.

#31 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

I was never really a fan of OC even in high school when it was just a place to go and party during senior week (or whenever).  I dunno why but none of it really appealed to me.

Of course I may have been a bit biased because I went to the OBX for 20 or so years and have probably spent close to 2/3-3/4 of an actual year there.  But to me the OBX just seemed like more of a laid-back place, even as more and more people started to go there.

I've always said that really the only thing that would make me move back east was to live on the OBX full time but part of me worries that the next time I do go back, since I haven't been in a good couple of years, that it just won't be/feel the same.  But we'll see.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#32 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

OBX is nice...but its all about the people you go with.  Not much else to do.

#33 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:43 AM

BTW, if anyone is drinking in the Ellicott City/Columbia area and they want a good review, look no further than your boy Pedro.

I may prefer Coors Light, but I know my bars.

What is the best bar in downtown Ellicott City these days? I used to go there a few years back, and usually gravitated to Ellicott Mills Brewing Company, their crab dip is ridonk. I just went back last week, and was underwhelmed.

#34 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,542 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:43 AM

Yea I much prefer the laid back atmospheres of OBX, South Delaware (Bethany) and Deep Creek Lake.  Renting a huge house in Deep Creek with 10 or so friends is about as fun as it gets -- we've done two bachelor parties out there and it's just a blast.

@bopper33

#35 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

Agreed. OBX is my go to, but that's because I go with my 2 best friends every year, and their families. It's always a fantastic time. Private pool with a grill, plenty of beer, and right on the beach for our morning sessions to sweat out a hang over. It really doesn't get any better than that with me. But like you said, it's all about the company you keep.

#36 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,754 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

Yea I much prefer the laid back atmospheres of OBX, South Delaware (Bethany) and Deep Creek Lake.  Renting a huge house in Deep Creek with 10 or so friends is about as fun as it gets -- we've done two bachelor parties out there and it's just a blast.

Every winter we rent the biggest available house out there and cram about 45-50 people in it for a boozefest.  Typically get 10 kegs and about $1200 worth of liquor, and get through all of it over a 3-day weekend.  It's awesome.

#37 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,754 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

Agree with this.  I prefer OBX because when I go on vacation it's typically with largish groups of friends.

Still really enjoy OC as well, but for similar reasons.  If I'm there, or at Dewey or anywhere, it's usually with a group.

#38 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:48 AM

I spent a TON of time in OC when I was younger, but as we all started getting married and having kids, it lost it's luster. It was fun having a free place to stay (haven't paid to stay there since I lived there for the summer back in like 2001).

Lived in Bethany from 17-19, not really my style.

Switched to OBX with the inlaws back in 2003 and have been every year since at least once. Switched to us and friends in 2008 and it's my favorite week of the year.

Rob's right though, to get the full effect, you gotta have the right group, and until you've got that settled down crowd where relaxing is better than nightlife, it isn't quite right.

@JeremyMStrain

#39 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,542 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:48 AM

Every winter we rent the biggest available house out there and cram about 45-50 people in it for a boozefest.  Typically get 10 kegs and about $1200 worth of liquor, and get through all of it over a 3-day weekend.  It's awesome.

I've never actually been in the winter, but I hear it's great.  Been there every other season and I've loved it.

@bopper33

#40 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

And that's just the way I like it :smile:

Sleep in, wake up nursing a hang over and go for a jog, eat some food, go to the beach and drink all afternoon, than grill or go out to eat for dinner.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  Squeeze in some golf, surfing/boogie boarding, more boozing and to me that's paradise.

Of course as I got older I started telling anyone that asked or who would listen that OBX was terrible (nothing to do, overrun with people, dirty, etc., etc.) in some shallow attempt to turn people off to going so it wouldn't be even more overcrowded than it had already become/was becoming.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=