• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:14 PM

So.... since 2012-13 season is 20 minutes old...  let's turn the page to 2013-14 lol.

Chicago gets back Rose...

Indiana gets back Granger...

Which team is the bigger threat to Miami in the East?

OKC gets back Westbrook... is a healthy Thunder team, the favorite in the West?

The Spurs were written off after their Playoff loss to end the 2012 season... will they be written off again?

Thoughts on Memphis, Golden State, Houston, LAC, LAL?

Do we see changes with the Heat? Particularly Bosh?

What young team do you think can rise up and become interesting next year?

#2 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:19 PM

Yes, just said this in the other thread.

All eyes on the 2 LA teams and if/when Miami deals Bosh.

What do the Bulls do? Trade Deng?

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:16 AM

Vegas odds for next year...

Miami 3 to 1

OKC 7 to 1

Spurs, Bulls, Indiana are the 3rd, 4th, and 5th most likely.

#4 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

Well the Lakers need a major overhaul.  If they had a long-term plan I'd be fine with them amnestying Kobe but I think for PR purposes they will never do that, so maybe amnesty Artest instead. 

I really think Howard is gone, he was just not himself this year, partially due to injury and partially because I don't think he responded well to Kobe's brand of "leadership"

I've advocated a Howard/Josh Smith sign and trade, but MWeb recently brought up some good points and I'm not sure I'm in favor of that anymore.  It will be interesting to see what direction the Lakers go in.  Gasol being dealt is also still a possibility, especially if Houston misses out on Howard.

BTW, I expect the Wizards to pick Otto Porter and be VERY fun to watch on offense, assuming Wall stays healthy.  Beal averaged 15+ per game once Wall came back and I could easily see him being in the 17-18 PPG range.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#5 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

So.... since 2012-13 season is 20 minutes old...  let's turn the page to 2013-14 lol.

Chicago gets back Rose...

Indiana gets back Granger...

Which team is the bigger threat to Miami in the East? Indiana.

OKC gets back Westbrook... is a healthy Thunder team, the favorite in the West? Definitely. 

The Spurs were written off after their Playoff loss to end the 2012 season... will they be written off again? I don't think so. Or at least they SHOULDN'T be written off. I think next year is their Big 3's last chance at a title. 

Thoughts on Memphis, Golden State, Houston, LAC, LAL? Grizzlies are the 2012-2013 Bulls- extremely gritty and they make you earn every point. I have Golden State as my dark-horse team in the West. If Houston can get Dwight Howard, the West will get a lot more interesting. Clippers will be deadly with (I assume) Chris Paul and Doc Rivers. Look what Rivers did with Rondo. Imagine what he can do with the undisputed best point guard in the NBA. I can't count the Lakers out- not as long as they have Kobe. I'll NEVER bet against that man.

Do we see changes with the Heat? Particularly Bosh? Yes. I think they move Bosh and they really look to adapt to the Bulls and Pacers. I could see them going after Tyler Hansbrough, possibly Al Jefferson. They need size. Getting rid of Bosh would also allow them to afford Chalmers, who is a very underrated piece of that team. 

What young team do you think can rise up and become interesting next year? Aside from Golden State, I really like the New Orleans Pelicans. In the East, the Wizards. 

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#6 dandrews

dandrews
  • Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

The Pacers would be better suited to keep their 5 and have Granger be the 6th man off the bench. You can't center a "2nd team" around Lance Stephenson and expect good results. You definitely can with Granger. 

Bulls are going to be a huge threat as long as Rose is healthy. People forget how good he was. Upgrading Nate Robinson to Derrick Rose is as big of a leap as you can take. Will be interesting to see if they keep Boozer and what they do about their revolving door at shooting guard. 

It's hard to say who the favorites are in the West with so many free agents (Howard, Paul, Smith, Igoudala, Jennings, etc). I'd have to wait until at least Howard and Paul are situated next year before I declare a favorite. Put Dwight on the Rockets and I think they definitely challenge the Thunder for best team. And if there's one thing I learn every year, never ever count out the Spurs.

I doubt Bosh is going anywhere. Don't see the Heat trading any part of the big 3. I doubt LeBron or DWade would be kosher with that. They just won the championship. Why make major changes unless they are getting a clear upgrade? As bad as Bosh was he is miles ahead of their replacement options. 

As far as up and comers, everyone says the Wizards will make the playoffs this year as long as their healthy. That's the problem though, they have to stay healthy; especially Nene. They aren't going anywhere if Kevin Seraphin is the starting 4.  I like the Pelicans a lot, although I'm not sure what their ceiling is if Eric Gordon is their best player. Maybe an 8 seed. 

And I know the Magic were horrible this year, but keep an eye on them. They have some really solid players, a high draft pick, and tons of cap space. Lots of rumors that they might swap Afflalo for Eric Bledsoe. They need some solid veterans, but a core of Vucevic, Harkless, and Harris is a good start

• BSLChrisStoner, Adam Wolff and mweb08 like this
@dandrews66

#7 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:39 PM

Starting Thursday, this is going to be a very interesting summer for a lot of teams. So much so that I will have to wait a bit before I set any expectations for next season.

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

Grantland: 2013 NBA FA primer
http://www.grantland...e-agency-primer

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:03 AM

ESPN reporting Howard unlikely to re-sign in LA because he doesn't want to play in DAntoni's system.

#10 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:25 AM

I wonder if they'll do a sign and trade. If not, next year is going to be a long one for the Lakers.

#11 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:35 PM

Nets, Celts working on blockbuster

The Brooklyn Nets, in their latest ambitious move, are trying to reach an agreement in principle on trade parameters with the Boston Celtics that would enable Brooklyn to land Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett, sources confirmed to ESPN.

According to a Yahoo! Sports report, Brooklyn has agreed to send three first-round picks (2014, '16 and '18) along with Kris Humphries' expiring contract, Gerald Wallace, Tornike Shengelia, Reggie Evans and a sign-and-traded Keith Bogans to the Celtics for Pierce, Garnett and Jason Terry. By agreeing to add Terry to the trade, sources said, Brooklyn alleviated some of Boston's concerns about absorbing the remaining three years and $30 million on Wallace's contract.

Assuming a starting five of Williams, Johnson, Pierce, Garnett and Lopez, that's about $900 million in committed money. Prokohrov's luxury tax bill is going to be bigger than many country's GDP.  :eek:

Another interesting fact: Jason Kidd would be coaching a player (Garnett) who entered the league just one season after he did.

#12 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:16 PM

That would be a starting 5 that could certainly contend. Maybe a good deal for both, Boston has no shot of another championship and three first round picks would certainly help the overall rebuilding process.

@AdamWolff

#13 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:42 PM

Deal is done....Boston positioning themselves well.

#14 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:44 PM

Lakers get Ryan Kelly....great pickup for them.

#15 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:48 PM

Useless move for Brooklyn. No better than 4th in the East if Rose is healthy. No real chance to get out of the conference.

#16 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:50 PM

Useless move for Brooklyn. No better than 4th in the East if Rose is healthy. No real chance to get out of the conference.

Yea probably....but nothing wrong with trying.

#17 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:16 PM

Lakers get Ryan Kelly....great pickup for them.

I think Kelly can be a better pro than most are giving him credit for.

@AdamWolff

#18 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:30 PM

Yea probably....but nothing wrong with trying.

I agree with Rob. Even though they are only 3rd or 4th best in the East on paper next season, that team is built to win now, so you may as well give it your best shot. A key injury to one or two of the better teams ahead of them, and you just never know.

#19 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:37 PM

Being a top team in contention for a season is not worthless, even if your chance at a title is slim. Obviously you'll make more money as a team, but this is a franchise that's trying to engage it's fan base. A base that has been dormant for awhile.

@AdamWolff

#20 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:36 AM

I think Kelly can be a better pro than most are giving him credit for.

Agreed...Great size, good defense, can shoot and is very smart.

Not that athletic and his lack of quickness will hurt him but I think he can be a guy that sticks around for several years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=