#21 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:32 PM

I agree that the episode is way too long. BTW, thanks for seemingly being consistently one of our 12 listeners Branden.

#22 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:34 PM

Yeah, for sure Jeremy, thanks for being on the show!
  • JeremyStrain likes this

#23 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:37 PM

A. Wade was supposedly the puppetmaster. If Lebron was folllowing him to Chigago or Miami or New York or Serbia it's still laughable that Lebron is defering.

B. See, you don't get it. The alpha male thing is real in athletes, especially a sport like basketball.. If your asking me if it's necessarily great that Kope wanted out of Shaqs shadow , No. They probably could have won another title if he kept playing the Robin role, or at least what was perceived as the Robin role. The truth of the matter is it's extremely important to these athletes and ,fairly or not,, it is a factor in weighing things at the end of a career.

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:40 PM

Jeremy, you were awesome man, great job. Very articulate and comfortable. 

Thanks for the shout out too, I appreciate it.

#25 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:43 PM

Sure, it's important to them, but it shouldn't be that important to us. We should want them to be above such petty matters and simply care about winning. Wade had given up being the alpha dog on his own team, so if you want to hate on anyone over the alpha dog thing, hate on him. James has been the alpha dog every season of his career.

#26 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,607 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:45 PM

Its hilarious to me that if these guys were playing in Cleveland instead of Miami none of this would be an issue.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#27 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,607 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:46 PM

Btw this episode is mammoth! I'll listen tomorrow while I take care of a few hours of paperwork before the holiday.

@bopper33

#28 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:48 PM

Sure, it's important to them, but it shouldn't be that important to us. We should want them to be above such petty matters and simply care about winning. Wade had given up being the alpha dog on his own team, so if you want to hate on anyone over the alpha dog thing, hate on him. James has been the alpha dog every season of his career.

We're going round in circles at this point. Again, LeBron has become the man in Miami but he  supposdedly wasn't  the man during the "decision". Again, he called it Wade's team atand all the talk at the time was LeBron going to join Wade's team.

#29 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:49 PM

Jeremy, you were awesome man, great job. Very articulate and comfortable. 

Thanks for the shout out too, I appreciate it.

Thanks dude. I just didn't want to be that awkward quiet guy now that these two have settled into their groove and sound good every week.

It's tricky when you've got 3 people jumping in, maybe next time we'll get better about the awkward pauses waiting for each other to jump in ;)

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#30 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:50 PM

Thanks dude. I just didn't want to be that awkward quiet guy now that these two have settled into their groove and sound good every week.

It's tricky when you've got 3 people jumping in, maybe next time we'll get better about the awkward pauses waiting for each other to jump in ;)

It wasn't that bad on this end. It was better whenever Rob or Mike took charge and directed it back to one of them, or you though. So maybe just have someone run point, but yeah, it's hard with 3 people I'm sure, and it's recording live like that, so it's just always something. But you were great again, very confident, and obviously great insights as well. 

#31 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:52 PM

Its hilarious to me that if these guys were playing in Cleveland instead of Miami none of this would be an issue.

Because kings don't leave their castle. How many of what people consider the legends  left their team in the prime of their careers. I know Webber will say different era, different FA rules, etc..  Again, people come to join LeBron, he's not going to join others. Thats big, even if it's mostly perception. The perception is LeBron bailed because he couldn't handle the pressure. He had to follow Wade to try and get the monkey off his back.

#32 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:55 PM

It was 3 friends who wanted to play together and Miami was where that could happen. And what do you expect Lebron to say? What matters is what happened on the court. Are you saying that you wouldn't have nearly the issue if Lebron said "Even though Wade had been here his whole career this is going to my team."

#33 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:56 PM

It wasn't that bad on this end. It was better whenever Rob or Mike took charge and directed it back to one of them, or you though. So maybe just have someone run point, but yeah, it's hard with 3 people I'm sure, and it's recording live like that, so it's just always something. But you were great again, very confident, and obviously great insights as well. 

Now I have a better idea of what is in store next time too. I was surprised how much I liked doing the podcast, I've shied away from doing them before when people have asked, but it was pretty cool.

@JeremyMStrain

#34 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:57 PM

Yeah cause we'd be too busy making fun of Gilbert and his bow-ties.

@JeremyMStrain

#35 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:11 AM

It was 3 friends who wanted to play together and Miami was where that could happen. And what do you expect Lebron to say? What matters is what happened on the court. Are you saying that you wouldn't have nearly the issue if Lebron said "Even though Wade had been here his whole career this is going to my team."

I'm saying an alpha male would never have defered that much during the whole process. Again, the perception is James couldn't hadle the pressure and needed to do what was necessary to get the ring. The fact that there is all the opt out talk tells me that LeBron really just felt that need to get the monkey off his back. That was the most important thing.

I don;t think anyone will argue that you could tell the pressure was getting to LeBron.

Take this a different direction. DO you think if LeBron had won a title in Clev before his opt out ability he would have left????.  Some will say, he's already given Clev their title he'll go wherever. I say he only left Clev to get the pressure off his back and make it easier by joining Wade and Bosh to win a title. Listen, it's true in any sport. Look at Jeter or Kobe or Magic or Cal or Bird, etc. If you remain in one city your whole career and win you become a legend. Your just viewed as something that much  more special. You get MT Rushmored. I think LeBron wanted that in CLev, his hometown. Yeah, yeah Akron is'n't Clev but that was his hometown. So if he had already won a title I'm convinced he doesn't leave Clev.

#36 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:19 AM

I don't know if he would have left or not, but I think he genuinely wanted to play with those guys because they're good friends and they had been discussing it from their team USA time together.

Regardless, I can't blame him for leaving a team that never surrounded him with a championship caliber supporting cast and didn't seem to be on the verge of it.

#37 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,607 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:21 AM

Because kings don't leave their castle. How many of what people consider the legends  left their team in the prime of their careers.

Attached Files

@bopper33

#38 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,607 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:22 AM

That's just what I can think of at 1:20 am NBA only. I'm sure there are plenty more.

@bopper33

#39 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:23 AM

Because kings don't leave their castle. How many of what people consider the legends  left their team in the prime of their careers.

Garnett was past his prime. Kareem had already won a title. I'll have to look up Chamberlain.

#40 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,607 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:25 AM

So what? And Garnett's first year in Boston, when they won the title, he was very very good.

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=