47 replies to this topic

#1 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:54 AM

So, what's everyone's first impressions of the new system?

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:58 AM

It's beefed up quite nicely, 64-bit processor, 8 GB Ram, etc... but there really isn't going to be much functionality with the new system than is already present with the existing one. Mainly because XBOX has done a nice job updating their software throughout the years. I already use my XBOX 360 as media hub, for the most part. It's more reliable than my Apple TV. What this new system will do, is ensure that it runs more smoothly given it's hardware specs. There's also the "snap" feature where you can have two windows up, but I can't envision actually wanting to do that on the TV. 

Either way, I'm getting it for sure, but it's not like it's some exciting, nextgen go crazy type of thing.

#3 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:11 AM

I don't play video games any more (although I'm not against it if something truly great comes out) so the fact that its a bluray player puts it in the running to eventually replace my PS3.

#4 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:14 AM

Not sure how crazy I am about the fact that you're going to have to pay an add'l fee to play a used game. Kinda shitty on MS's part, IMO. Also, not happy about the fact it's not backwards compatible. Grrrrrrrrr!

I wished th ey showed more of the games yesterday. I get that they're probably waiting for E3, but Sony did a better job of this at their own press conference last month.

I will say that I really like the design though. Pretty slick looking, even if people are bitching about the size. Like how they haven't changed the controller around much either. Very wise move. 

@ChaosLex

#5 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:12 AM

Not sure how crazy I am about the fact that you're going to have to pay an add'l fee to play a used game. Kinda shitty on MS's part, IMO. Also, not happy about the fact it's not backwards compatible. Grrrrrrrrr!

I wished th ey showed more of the games yesterday. I get that they're probably waiting for E3, but Sony did a better job of this at their own press conference last month.

I will say that I really like the design though. Pretty slick looking, even if people are bitching about the size. Like how they haven't changed the controller around much either. Very wise move. 

Agreed all around. I think the used game's fee was more the desire of the gaming companiea than MS... but either way, it's lame and short sighted, IMO.

So the long awaited GTA V won't work on the new system? That's incredibly weak sauce.

#6 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

They squashed that yesterday I believe. Tweeted after the reveal that it was always their intention to allow players to play rented or used games. Wait for the more detailed breakdown, but I think that was just some rumor they were using to try to get kickbacks and more favorable pricing from retailers. Gamestop, Gamefly, and Best Buy would have stood to lose a TON of money if it happened. Might have helped to subsidize the pricing a bit. Remains to be seen.

@JeremyMStrain

#7 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:05 AM

So, what's everyone's first impressions of the new system?

Halo TV Series produced by Speilberg!

#8 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

3ui5nv.jpg

• MKlein76 and BobPhelan like this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#9 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

Compared to what I have at my house, an HTPC setup on main TV and a mini-PC in bedroom that gives me my internet and ability to access my NAS. Why should I pay for something that will not be backwards compatible? I had that issue on some of the older XBOX games that wouldn't run on the 360 (Brothers in Arms series to name one). And the rumored 2-tier pricing, "wow".

• SammyBirdland likes this

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#10 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

Uhmmmmm.... 

Even with so many versions of clarifications coming out from different corners, there is still no clarify on how the new console will impact used or rented games or what really happens when players lend games to their friends.

http://www.gamenguid...ion-remains.htm

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#11 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

Compared to what I have at my house, an HTPC setup on main TV and a mini-PC in bedroom that gives me my internet and ability to access my NAS. Why should I pay for something that will not be backwards compatible? I had that issue on some of the older XBOX games that wouldn't run on the 360 (Brothers in Arms series to name one). And the rumored 2-tier pricing, "wow".

Coincidentally, with this thread topic, I use HTPCs as well.  I use XBMC (XBOX Media Center), which is a program that started off as a way to put a media center onto the original XBOX, but now is just a PC platform.  It is very cool, check it out if you haven't tried it:

http://xbmc.org/

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#12 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

ps4 eventually. I'm done with Microsoft consoles. I probably won't buy next gen until the life is completely squeezed out of this one.

#13 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

ps4 eventually. I'm done with Microsoft consoles. I probably won't buy next gen until the life is completely squeezed out of this one.

See I'm completely oppo on this one. I wasn't a HUGE Sony fan to begin with, awkward updates, slow loading, but then they issued an update that turned mine (and thousands of others with fat PS3s) into bricks RIGHT before their two biggest exclusives of the year come out and the ps4 is announced.

I will never buy another PS. Ever.

@JeremyMStrain

#14 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

See I'm completely oppo on this one. I wasn't a HUGE Sony fan to begin with, awkward updates, slow loading, but then they issued an update that turned mine (and thousands of others with fat PS3s) into bricks RIGHT before their two biggest exclusives of the year come out and the ps4 is announced.

I will never buy another PS. Ever.

Wait . What. I havent been online with my PS3 in awhile. What happened. I have on old fat 80 Gig PS3. My biggest love of PS over Microsoft was A. That it hadn't broke down on me like two  360s. B. It was backwards compatiable, granted I know they did away with this in later versions. C. Online was free. I don;t care about the extra crap that came with XBox Live.

#15 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

I'm still using a PS2. Can I participate in this conversation?

• JeremyStrain likes this
@DJ_McCann

#16 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:49 AM

Wait . What. I havent been online with my PS3 in awhile. What happened. I have on old fat 80 Gig PS3. My biggest love of PS over Microsoft was A. That it hadn't broke down on me like two  360s. B. It was backwards compatiable, granted I know they did away with this in later versions. C. Online was free. I don;t care about the extra crap that came with XBox Live.

Don't get me wrong, I've always understood the issues people had with xbox. For a long time the difference for me was the xbox felt like it played a bit smoother (I'm big on gameplay, not as much on graphics) and the online play was much better with xbox. I get the early issues with 360, I got lucky and my launch day xbox lasted me 3 years, and my replacement (a limited edition elite) has lasted 3 since, but my brothers and other people have had issues with them crapping out.

I got my PS3 for the exclusives like God of War, Socom, Uncharted etc. so I was playing the imports of the God of War PSP games getting ready for Ascension to come out, I didn't play it for a couple months cause I was playing Borderlands 2, and I rented the new DMC for PS3, when I went to play it, it made me do the usual update crap and then magically my PS3 wouldn't read discs or blu rays. Everything still works outside of that, but my optical drive is a brick. I went online to see about a fix since it ONLY did it once I updated, and saw that 1000s of people had the same problem, and only with the fat models. Sony said they would be happy to sell me a new PS3 since mine was no longer under warranty. Douchebags.

@JeremyMStrain

#17 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

Don't get me wrong, I've always understood the issues people had with xbox. For a long time the difference for me was the xbox felt like it played a bit smoother (I'm big on gameplay, not as much on graphics) and the online play was much better with xbox. I get the early issues with 360, I got lucky and my launch day xbox lasted me 3 years, and my replacement (a limited edition elite) has lasted 3 since, but my brothers and other people have had issues with them crapping out.

I got my PS3 for the exclusives like God of War, Socom, Uncharted etc. so I was playing the imports of the God of War PSP games getting ready for Ascension to come out, I didn't play it for a couple months cause I was playing Borderlands 2, and I rented the new DMC for PS3, when I went to play it, it made me do the usual update crap and then magically my PS3 wouldn't read discs or blu rays. Everything still works outside of that, but my optical drive is a brick. I went online to see about a fix since it ONLY did it once I updated, and saw that 1000s of people had the same problem, and only with the fat models. Sony said they would be happy to sell me a new PS3 since mine was no longer under warranty. Douchebags.

I haven't had any of these issues fortunately. Recently bought Bioshock Infinite and am loving it.

Can't wait for The Last of Us though, and I'm like 75% sure Naughty Dog is going to have a PS4 launch title as well. Sooooooooo I'll be buying PS4 Day One it seems.

@JeffLongBP

#18 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:02 PM

BUMP.

Just picked up one this afternoon. My username is the same as here: ChaosLex. Look me up! :)

@ChaosLex

#19 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:18 AM

How you liking it so far, Lex?

I love it. I'm still awaiting plenty more apps, they need to get on the ball with that. Particularly, HBOGo. Game of Thrones is right around the corner, and that's the way to go.

I love the kinect part of it all. I'll go days without even using my remote at all. And yes, I've probably watched TV/Netflix/Amazon Prime, etc. about 98% of the time, while playing actual games on it 2% of the time. The only game I have is Ghosts. I'm waiting for Elder Scrolls Online and then The Division later in the year.

• ChaosLex likes this

#20 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:51 AM

How you liking it so far, Lex?

I love it. I'm still awaiting plenty more apps, they need to get on the ball with that. Particularly, HBOGo. Game of Thrones is right around the corner, and that's the way to go.

I love the kinect part of it all. I'll go days without even using my remote at all. And yes, I've probably watched TV/Netflix/Amazon Prime, etc. about 98% of the time, while playing actual games on it 2% of the time. The only game I have is Ghosts. I'm waiting for Elder Scrolls Online and then The Division later in the year.

Same here. I beat Ghosts, beat Ryse, and I've played a little Killer Instinct, but that's been it. I've got Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare coming on Tuesday, (my 5 year old is dying to play co-op, and it's one of her favorite games on her ipad)

Titanfall is going to be pretty epic though.

• ChaosLex likes this
@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=