You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

5/21: Hughes vs. Gonzalez

Eager to get the taste of vomit out of my mouth. A bad week of baseball, made worse by losing 3 games where we held leads going into the bottom of the 9th inning.

Tonight is a great opportunity to get right. And by get right, I mean a laugher. Something like 15-2. That would suffice.

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:32 AM

Several baseballs have a chance to find the seats tonight vs. Hughes.

A quality start from Gonzalez would be good to see. Obviously hasn't started since 5/3, so will be interesting to see where he is.

#3 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

I don't know....kinda feels like it's Reid Brignac's turn to become the next Yankee miracle good player. I predict a grand slam in the top of the 9th trailing by 3 runs...of Johnson, of course.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:58 AM

I don't know....kinda feels like it's Reid Brignac's turn to become the next Yankee miracle good player. I predict a grand slam in the top of the 9th trailing by 3 runs...of Johnson, of course.

This is going to be interesting - I really do wonder if JJ is given the bal in this scenario, if it unfolds tonight.

#5 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

Buck said so last night, didn't he?

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#6 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:08 AM

Buck said so last night, didn't he?

Of course, but he isn't going to say JJ is getting demoted in a post-game presser, that's not his style. And even if he didn't pitch tonight in a save situation, that's not a demotion, it's a temporary reprieve to try to get him right first.

#7 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:09 AM

Well Buck does say a lot of things he doesn't back-up with actions, so it wont surprise me if JJ isn't used in a save situation tonight.

Anyone remember the "win rule" comment?

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:11 AM

Well Buck does say a lot of things he doesn't back-up with actions, so it wont surprise me if JJ isn't used in a save situation tonight.

Anyone remember the "win rule" comment?

No doubt... we were talking about that the other day... He clearly hasn't practiced what he preaches there, he is definitely a slave to the save rule, just as every manager is frankly. It's unfortunate, but it's the way it is.

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

I'll be furious if Buck uses Johnson in a save situation tonight.

Only scenario I want Johnson in the game tonight is if it is a laugher in either direction.  His next outing, and maybe more if he doesn't appear to fix his issues, should be in a non-save situation.  If we get into a save situation tonight, that means it shouldn't be Johnson doing the pitching.  Same goes for a tie game in the 9th or early extras.  If we get deep into extras, then you may have to use him for lack of other options.

It's possible that we go a few games without any save situations - big wins would be great! - nd Johnson does indeed get the team's next save situation, but his next outing shouldn't be a save situation.  Let him right himself in non-save situations over the next several games.

#10 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

He'll go back to Johnson tonight. The only way he might not is if Matusz is available and he's got to go through a section of lefties like last night.

#11 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

He'll go back to Johnson tonight. The only way he won't is if Matusz is available and he's got to go through a section of lefties like last night.

Honestly, I think he will too... I agree with Mackus, but I think he'll go right back to him.

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

I agree with you guys that he will go right back to him.

Guess we gotta hope for a 5-run win and no save situation.

#13 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

The thing is whats the alternative??? Not to pitch Johnson at all??

Say we enter the 7th inning with a 1 run lead, how do you manage your way through without using JJ at all??? Or do you use him but in the 8th inning and say O'Day/Matusz in the 9th depending on the matchup. In that scenario JJ still has to pitch a high leverage inning it's just not the 9th.

IN the scenario where you don;t use JJ at all all you do is force people up an inning and out of their comfort zone.. I suppose Hunter and Matusz would pitch some combo of the 7th and 8th. You sure as hell don;t want to use Strop against the Yankees.

Obviously, and I'm not saying any of you are saying different, JJ has to get right for us to be successful. UNless your advocating just taking him out of the 9th for awhile and letting pitch the 8th inning you might as well go back to him tonight. The problem then is A. Again, JJ is still pitching in a high leverage situation and does being demoted mess him up more??. B. You're moving O'Day into a role as closer that he is unfamiliar. How does he respond??

#14 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:49 AM

I think Buck should treat the 9th inning like it's an 10 inning game, go with matchups and use the hot hand in high leverage situations, but that makes too much sense.

The save rule >>

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#15 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

I've got more concerns with Johnson in the 9th tonight than I do with O'Day or Matusz or anyone else who hasn't done it before.

I'd treat it like a game where Johnson has pitched 3 straight.  He's technically available if something crazy happens and he's absolutely needed, but I'd jump through whatever hoops are necessary to avoid using him in a save situation.  If the game unfolds and we are up 5-6 runs late, I go to him.  I don't go to him with a 2-run lead in the 9th, unless perhaps if we've already had to use O'Day, Matusz, Hunter, and Strop (say if Gonzo gets knocked out real early but we come back and grab the lead).

#16 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

If you want to argue the merits of set roles be my guest but moving someone out of their set roles is something no manager does. Sure, if we have to go through lefties in the 9th have Matusz available. He should have closed last night and I said that last night. The problem is Matusz might be called on to get those lefties out in the 7th inning tonight and be unavailable. So again, lets say Hunter and Matusz get us through the 7th inning tonight in a 1 run game. You tell me who pitches the 8th and 9th inning.

#17 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

If you want to argue the merits of set roles be my guest but moving someone out of their set roles is something no manager does. Sure, if we have to go through lefties in the 9th have Matusz available. He should have closed last night and I said that last night. The problem is Matusz might be called on to get those lefties out in the 7th inning tonight and be unavailable. So again, lets say Hunter and Matusz get us through the 7th inning tonight in a 1 run game. You tell me who pitches the 8th and 9th inning.

I'd probably go Strop and O'Day.  Maybe Patton instead of Pedro if he hasn't already pitched and depending on L/R matchups.  I'd essentially treat Johnson as unavailable for tonight unless the game flow is abnormal and requires his use (crazy short start or 12+ innings).  O'Day is the guy I'd ideally try to set up pitching the 9th or whatever I decide is the most important inning.

I just do not want to have Johnson's next outing be in a save situation.  I'd use him tonight if we're up or down by a lot, just not if it's a 1-2 run game late.

#18 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

Strop isn't touching the ball tonight in a crucial situation. JJ could have 10 blown saves in a row before I would go to Strop tonight.

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

Strop isn't touching the ball tonight in a crucial situation. JJ could have 10 blown saves in a row before I would go to Strop tonight.

I'll roll the dice with Pedro instead of Johnson tonight.  Pedro's throwing better right now, and no reason to believe Johnson has any less of a mental block against the Yankees than Strop may.  I would go to Patton, Matusz, Hunter, and O'Day before turning to Strop, though.  He's 5th in my pecking order of most trusted releivers right now.  JJ is 6th.

#20 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

Over/under on gopher balls tonight?

@AdamWolff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users