#42 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

The hardest guys to rank will be guys like Durant, Irving, Rose, Westbrook, etc...the young superstars who MIGHT accomplish a lot down the line but haven't yet.

I don't think Irving has done close to enough to even be considered. Durant definitely has. Those other two likely aren't close either imo, but I'd have to compile a list to say for sure.

#43 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

Yeah I'd have Smoltz ahead too, just answering the part about ATL guys only winning 1, Pettite won a couple, but I've always thought he didn't get enough credit. Hard to say that with him being a Yankee and all, but I think he's one of the top pitchers in that era for sure.

Yeah, he's been really good. Borderline HOF'er (but I think falls short for me).

#44 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:09 PM

MjzhuPx.jpg

It doesn't matter for baseball, but Rob and I haven't discussed if we'd factor in college careers at all. Tebow is arguably the best college player of our lifetime.

#45 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

I don't think Irving has done close to enough to even be considered. Durant definitely has. Those other two likely aren't close either imo, but I'd have to compile a list to say for sure.

I was just throwing names out there of young superstars.  Durant would be the only one on my list at this time.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#46 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

I was just throwing names out there of young superstars.  Durant would be the only one on my list at this time.

Yeah. Here's an applicable article by Posnanski: http://nbcsports.msn.../ns/sports-nba/

#47 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

If I made a list I think I'd try to put together some sort of point system (like 10 pts for winning a title, 8 pts for an MVP, 5 for all-nba first team etc etc) and see how the list turned out and then tinker with it a little.

@bopper33

#48 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

If I made a list I think I'd try to put together some sort of point system (like 10 pts for winning a title, 8 pts for an MVP, 5 for all-nba first team etc etc) and see how the list turned out and then tinker with it a little.

Well does Chris Bosh get 10 points for last year? Wade? I don't think each title should be weighed equally. As for MVP's and All-NBA teams, I don't trust the media's ability to give out those accolades enough to put tons of value in them.

#49 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:39 PM

I think I'd have to do something like (+3) for being the best player on the title team too (your favorite stat :-) ) so that a guy like LeBron gets more credit for the title than Bosh last year.

Other things I considered were like (+2) or (+3) for leading the league or being in the top 3 in the league in various categories (that throws out media bias) but this is still in its infancy.

@bopper33

#50 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

How does PER factor in?  ;)

#51 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

How does PER factor in?  ;)

Oh, I'd make room for it, just not weigh it as much as some.

@bopper33

#52 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:24 PM

I should have waited for this topic to join the show. A lot more fun. And since Ricker came up with the idea you should find a week for him to be on.

Anyway, yeah, Cerrano vs Weber. Just no fake playing nice. Geez, I mean 2 years ago Rob was calling Mike a tree hugger once a month. Now, it's like they're making out on the air. Just call the show Message Board Love already.

• Pedro Cerrano likes this

#53 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:29 PM

Oh and no freaking Tebow. You have to do it at the highest level to be in the consideration for greatest athlete of your sport or on the overall list.

#54 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

I should have waited for this topic to join the show. A lot more fun. And since Ricker came up with the idea you should find a week for him to be on.

Anyway, yeah, Cerrano vs Webber. Just no fake playing nice. Geez, I mean 2 years ago Rob was calling Mike a tree hugger once a month. Now, it's like they're making out on the air. Just call the show Message Board Love already.

Thanks for the mention - but honestly, lists are my absolute worst part about any analysis I can provide. I mean, I could prepare and work for it if I needed to, but I'd do a pretty bad job at that part. I do enjoy hearing people discuss it though, so I'm very happy that they are going this route.

#55 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:40 PM

Anyway, yeah, Cerrano vs Webber. Just no fake playing nice. Geez, I mean 2 years ago Rob was calling Mike a tree hugger once a month. Now, it's like they're making out on the air. Just call the show Message Board Love already.

Haha. Well you played nice too.  ;)

Anyway, we could potentially have you back on for an episode or two of this series. Do you have a sport preference to weigh in on?

#56 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

Oh and no freaking Tebow. You have to do it at the highest level to be in the consideration for greatest athlete of your sport or on the overall list.

I agree.

#57 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:49 PM

Haha. Well you played nice too. ;)

Anyway, we could potentially have you back on for an episode or two of this series. Do you have a sport preference to weigh in on?

Baseball or football though I follow more obscure sports like golf and tennis a decent amount too.

I'll leave the basketball to yourself, Seth, Cerrano and hockey to anybody who wants to take it. I know there are people who follow and have studied those sports more than me.

#58 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

Ok, well we'll figure out what we want to do guest wise (Jeremy is coming on tomorrow, but not for this part) in the coming weeks. I think football will be after baseball. Are you going to compile your own lists as well or do you think you'll just come on here and/or the podcast and say things like "I can't believe you have Mike Trout over Eddie Murray!!!!!!!!"  ;)

Oh, and not that we'll have an entire MMA category, but I do plan on considering MMA guys for the other sports category.

#59 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:00 PM

No I'll compile a list. I do think yourself and Rob and the guest should compare lists preshow and find the talking points for the show. I think this list thing gives the show it's best opportunity to actually debate .  There hasn't been a whole lot of that to this point but the subjective nature of the topic really opens it up.

#60 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

I think after the lists come out, it might work well to have guests come on to argue for someone not included, or against someone that was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=