Photo

BSL: Project 2014 (Previewing Yr 1 in the Big Ten)

• Please log in to reply
399 replies to this topic

#361 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:08 PM

10405541_10102542072657913_8331494407598

I took this picture at the game last week. Face value for the tickets are $65 each. And the good news is you won't have to buy another game, pay other fees, and you'll get real tickets, if you do it through me.

@levineps

#362 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:19 PM

I have to sell my tickets for the Ohio State game since it's Yom Kippur. I have two seats in sect 308, row T. Message me if interested.

I can't think of any better way to atone for your sins this year than to have to sit through that game.

• Oriole85 likes this
@DJ_McCann

#363 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:59 AM

UMTerps: Under Armour & Maryland Announce Renewal Of Partnership

http://www.umterps.c...TCLID=209640788

The University of Maryland and Under Armour, Inc. (NYSE:UA) today announced a 10-year partnership extension that designates Under Armour as the official outfitter of its varsity intercollegiate athletic programs. 

Under Armour, the global leader in performance footwear and apparel, will continue to design and supply the footwear, apparel, and equipment for training and game-day uniforms for the University of Maryland’s men’s and women’s varsity athletic teams. In addition to outfitting the Terrapin athletic department, the comprehensive partnership also includes integration into the brand’s marketing, social media, in-store, and grassroots activations.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#364 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:18 PM

Has anyone seen the new one-time uniforms the Terps will wear Saturday? Awesome!

http://www.washingto...pangled-banner/

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#365 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:08 AM

The Diamondback: Oculus VR founder to give largest donation in university history

http://www.diamondba...1a4bcf6878.html

Through the largest gift in this university’s history, former university student and virtual-reality pioneer Brendan Iribe is donating $31 million toward building a new, cutting-edge computer science building and creating a scholarship for the department.

The majority of Iribe’s gift, about $30 million, will go toward the construction of the Brendan Iribe Center for Computer Science and Innovation, which is expected to cost about $140 million and will be located in what is currently a parking lot at the corner of Campus Drive and Paint Branch Drive, university President Wallace Loh said.

The remaining $1 million from the gift will create the Brendan Iribe Scholarship in Computer Science.

@BSLZackKiesel

#366 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:20 AM

The Diamondback: Oculus VR founder to give largest donation in university history

http://www.diamondba...1a4bcf6878.html

That's very generous, and should make a tremendous difference for the University...   but I wish some of that his donation was going towards the proposed practice facility.

Maybe with the donation, UMD can earmark some funds from elsewhere.

#367 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:33 AM

but I wish some of that his donation was going towards the proposed practice facility.

I...I honestly don't know what to say to that.

@DJ_McCann

#368 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,486 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:52 AM

That's very generous, and should make a tremendous difference for the University...   but I wish some of that his donation was going towards the proposed practice facility.
Maybe with the donation, UMD can earmark some funds from elsewhere.

My guess is that given how separate those two pots of money are, any unused funds from an academic-related project cannot be shifted to athletics. Plus, I'm betting what this donation ultimately means is that the university will simply have to borrow less money to build the new computer school.
  • BSLZackKiesel likes this

#369 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:45 AM

I...I honestly don't know what to say to that.

What, are you surprised DJ?   UMD is the State's Flagship University. I want them to be great in everything they do. That certainly includes academics, as having a great academic state university benefits the state....  but my interest doesn't end there. I'm a sports fan. Maryland made the decision to leave the ACC for the Big Ten for a number of reasons, but primarily due to economics and Football. If you are going to make those changes, you have to control everything you can control to improve the football program.

You can't dictate how someone graciously donates to the University, but you do have to figure out how to get that practice facility built. It's a competitive disadvantage right now, and as you are attempting to compete against programs who spend considerably more on their football programs... again, you have to control what you can.

It's also been proven that having high level success in Basketball and Football, has tangible benefits to Universities as a whole, particularly with Alumni giving, and future enrollments.  (See Baylor for a current example.)

So, finding ways to prop up Athletics, is also a further investment in the University as a whole.

#370 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:08 PM

What, are you surprised DJ?   UMD is the State's Flagship University. I want them to be great in everything they do. That certainly includes academics, as having a great academic state university benefits the state....  but my interest doesn't end there. I'm a sports fan. Maryland made the decision to leave the ACC for the Big Ten for a number of reasons, but primarily due to economics and Football. If you are going to make those changes, you have to control everything you can control to improve the football program.

You can't dictate how someone graciously donates to the University, but you do have to figure out how to get that practice facility built. It's a competitive disadvantage right now, and as you are attempting to compete against programs who spend considerably more on their football programs... again, you have to control what you can.

It's also been proven that having high level success in Basketball and Football, has tangible benefits to Universities as a whole, particularly with Alumni giving, and future enrollments.  (See Baylor for a current example.)

So, finding ways to prop up Athletics, is also a further investment in the University as a whole.

Then you need to suggest he throw a couple of additional bucks at that instead of taking it away from an academic endeavor.

Besides, he's a computer guy. He may not give a single damn about how Maryland's football facilities are only really nice instead of palatial.

• mweb08 likes this
@DJ_McCann

#371 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,486 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:09 PM

I wouldn't fret too much over the indoor practice facility. Because UM was very public when they announced the fundraising campaign for it, it leads me to believe that they already have identified the source of a significant amount of the money needed....probably a combination of anonymous donations plus money that can be borrowed against future Big Ten revenues. And getting the uncertainty of the ACC lawsuit out of the way no doubt helps too. But it would really look bad to start a campaign for a building and then never get the money to build it, so I highly doubt you'll see that happen. It might take another year or two before shovels hit the ground, but I would rather see it take longer, and done right, than to do a half-assed job right now. One thing is for certain....a successful inaugural B1G season on the field could really make a difference.

#372 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,486 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:13 PM

Then you need to suggest he throw a couple of additional bucks at that instead of taking it away from an academic endeavor.

Besides, he's a computer guy. He may not give a single damn about how Maryland's football facilities are only really nice instead of palatial.

Right, everyone has their own endeavors that are important to them. And for all I know, maybe UM's computer science facilities were as subpar as some of the athletics facilities. With something like this, maybe they will get more enrollments out of the next generation of Brendan Iribe's, who will then donate some of their own Facebook-funded fortunes to build great things at UM.

#373 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:18 PM

He's giving generously to the University, and he can give as he deems fit. My only reaction was that I wish some of it was going to the practice facility.

What's the disconnect here?

#374 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:19 PM

I wouldn't fret too much over the indoor practice facility. Because UM was very public when they announced the fundraising campaign for it, it leads me to believe that they already have identified the source of a significant amount of the money needed....probably a combination of anonymous donations plus money that can be borrowed against future Big Ten revenues. And getting the uncertainty of the ACC lawsuit out of the way no doubt helps too. But it would really look bad to start a campaign for a building and then never get the money to build it, so I highly doubt you'll see that happen. It might take another year or two before shovels hit the ground, but I would rather see it take longer, and done right, than to do a half-assed job right now. One thing is for certain....a successful inaugural B1G season on the field could really make a difference.

I'm sure our conjecture at the time - that when it was announced that they had already raised at-least 1/2 - was correct.

Still have to finish the raising, and get shovel to ground.

#375 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:31 PM

He's giving generously to the University, and he can give as he deems fit. My only reaction was that I wish some of it was going to the practice facility.

What's the disconnect here?

You're saying that building a bubble over a football field is on the same level of priority as a modern computer science building. Even if you aren't criticizing him for that (and I know you aren't), that just bugs me. It's part of the problem with college sports.

@DJ_McCann

#376 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:37 PM

You're saying that building a bubble over a football field is on the same level of priority as a modern computer science building. Even if you aren't criticizing him for that (and I know you aren't), that just bugs me. It's part of the problem with college sports.

You are right - I'm not criticizing him for donating generously as he deems fit... but yes, I do think athletics funding is paramount and don't see that as a problem with college sports.

Recruiting wise you are battling for the hearts and minds of 17 year olds. Having adequate facilities is not enough.If the recruiting improves, the results improve, if the results improve... the enrollments increase, and Alumni giving increases.... if those things happen, the University as a whole improves.

#377 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:49 PM

If a rich person donates a bunch of money to help Maryland with an aspect of their education, then I'm happy about that. Same if they donate to the athletic department. I wouldn't wish there was a change in the dispersing of the donation either way. If I had to choose where 30M, would go, I wouldn't choose a practice facility for a dangerous sport that on a national level, is run in a manner that makes me question my fandom of it.

#378 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:59 PM

If a rich person donates a bunch of money to help Maryland with an aspect of their education, then I'm happy about that. Same if they donate to the athletic department. I wouldn't wish there was a change in the dispersing of the donation either way. If I had to choose where 30M, would go, I wouldn't choose a practice facility for a dangerous sport that on a national level, is run in a manner that makes me question my fandom of it.

This guy donating in the manner he did, is a great thing. It's great for UMD (and the state as a whole).

Now I hope MD will find the donors necessary to further improve their football facilities.

#379 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:30 PM

http://screamer.dead...-foo-1634042395

He was being recruited by Maryland, but decided he would rather play soccer than Terps football :D

@DJ_McCann

#380 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:10 AM

http://www.uni-watch...ay-up-the-camo/

A small part of the article, but I found it interesting:

In general, jersey sales strongly correlate with winning — the better a team does, the more jerseys it sells. The big exception is Maryland football, whose jerseys sell regardless of how the team is performing.

As annoyed as I am at the various uniform foolishness by Maryland and--at this point--most other teams, I'm kind of amused and proud of that fact :)

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=