Photo

BSL: Project 2014 (Previewing Yr 1 in the Big Ten)

• Please log in to reply
399 replies to this topic

#341 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:55 AM

Baltimore Sun: CB Alvin Hill continues to impress during preseason

Some good notes from Matt Zenitz here... including:

** Running back Wes Brown continues to look good catching passes out of the backfield, especially for a 215-pound back. Brown also had the key block on a long run by backup quarterback Caleb Rowe and got the offensive sideline excited late in practice when he ran through several defenders for a 10-yard gain inside the red-zone.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#342 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:45 PM

Ok, so here are my notes from today's scrimmage:

• A few players were absent from the scrimmage. C.J. Brown, Brandon Ross, Cole Farrand, and Marcus Leak were in shorts on the sidelines. Leak was the only one with a visible injury, as he was wearing a walking boot. That isn't believed to be serious at all. Randy Edsall said that with Brown, Ross, and Farrand being starters, he wanted to see the competition behind them today.
  • Randy Edsall has been frustrated with the lack of production from the wideouts in camp, and made a statement today by putting Stefon Diggs on the second-team offense. Deon Long was inconsistent, but had a nice 52-yard touchdown catch on a slant route early in the game.
  • Albert Reid was the first-team offense's running back, while Wes Brown was the second-team offense's running back. This makes it clear who will be the 1,2,3 backs in the rotation. Both were equally impressive.
  • Caleb Rowe was the first-team offense's quarterback, while Perry Hills, Shane Cockerille, and Will Ulmer split time taking snaps with the second-team. Rowe was the only impressive player of this group, though Cockerille had some nice evasive moves in the pocket. Perry Hills looked just as bad as he did in the Spring Game.
  • The first-team's offensive line featured Ryan Doyle at RT, while Derwin Gray saw time there with the second-team. Damian Prince served as the second-team's LG. Doyle got beat on a few plays off the edge, which may open the door even further for Gray.
  • The story of today's game was the defense. Jeremiah Johnson was very impressive, and the heated battle between he and Alvin Hill continues. Johnson had a pick-six towards the end of the game.
  • Yannick Ngakoue was very impressive defensively, and should be an impact player on passing downs this season.
  • Nathan Renfro only had one bad punt all game, which was a much better performance than we saw from him in the Spring Game. Nice spirals on his punts, good hangtime, and good distance.
  • William Likely was the most impressive returner, as the Terps used both he, Diggs, and DeAndre Lane in those roles.
  • Taivon Jacobs was also impressive in the stead of Marcus Leak, and had a nice touchdown catch towards the end of the game.

• BSLChrisStoner, Adam Wolff, You Play to Win the Game and 2 others like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#343 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:46 AM

Washington Post: Notes and observations from the Scrimmage

http://www.washingto...open-scrimmage/

• Greg Pappas likes this

#344 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:25 AM

UMTerps.com... Preseason Camp Enters Final Phase

#345 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:48 AM

Baltimore Sun: Yannick Ngakoue looks like potential difference-maker and other Terps notes

http://www.baltimore...0,1929663.story

• Greg Pappas likes this

#346 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:38 AM

Washington Post: Terps Football Practice Report, Scrimmage Wednesday

http://www.washingto...tuesday-aug-19/

Excited about the defensive line depth, and Craddock's productivity in camp....  hoping something clicks for Mulrooney sooner than later.

Have to think he is missing the first 2 games at-least. You want him to get back and be an available option as soon as possible

• Greg Pappas likes this

#347 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:09 AM

Washington Post: Terps Football Practice Report, Scrimmage Wednesday

http://www.washingto...tuesday-aug-19/

Excited about the defensive line depth, and Craddock's productivity in camp....  hoping something clicks for Mulrooney sooner than later.

Have to think he is missing the first 2 games at-least. You want him to get back and be an available option as soon as possible

There's good depth at basically every position except corner. The offensive line is extremely versatile, so depth isn't an issue there as much as production is. I was high on Altamirano when he came to College Park last season, but he hasn't shown the promise that we all thought he had. Hopefully he can capitalize on the opportunity and make a name for himself.

He's a great fit for this offense, which requires smaller, more agile linemen, especially at guard. Last season, the Terps ran a lot of zone blocking, but occasionally ran some power with a pulling guard, especially on inverted veer plays. That pulling guard was almost always LG De'Onte Arnett. We'll see who they prefer to pull this season: Altamirano or Zeller.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#348 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:45 AM

Washington Post: Soft-spoken Anthony Nixon evolving into leader for Terps defense

http://www.washingto...-terps-defense/

#349 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:16 PM

Baltimore Sun: Maryland football players Levern Jacobs, Alex Twine charged with assault

http://www.baltimore...0,5602132.story

Two Maryland football players — junior wide receiver Levern Jacobs and senior inside linebacker Alex Twine — were charged Thursday with second-degree assault, according to Maryland court records.

Twine was arrested and is scheduled to appear in Prince George's County District Court in Hyattsville on Oct. 3. Jacobs was issued a summons.

The charges stem from a July 19 incident.
Very disappointing from these kids. As the article says, this isn't Twine's first run-in with the law. Maryland athletics has been extremely disappointing from a character standpoint lately with Wes Brown, Trayvon Reed, and now Jacobs and Twine.

@BSLZackKiesel

#350 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:30 PM

Baltimore Sun: Maryland football players Levern Jacobs, Alex Twine charged with assault

http://www.baltimore...0,5602132.story

Very disappointing from these kids. As the article says, this isn't Twine's first run-in with the law. Maryland athletics has been extremely disappointing from a character standpoint lately with Wes Brown, Trayvon Reed, and now Jacobs and Twine.

Damn. Though maybe not overly serious with Jacobs, since he just has a summons?

Since this stems from 7/19,  I was thinking the University had likely been aware.  The article includes a quote from Edsall which points to that not being the case:

“We are aware of the situation and are in the process of gathering more information,” Terps coach Randy Edsall said in a statement. “We take these matters very seriously. We will have no further comment at this time.” 

#351 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:26 AM

Washington PostMaryland will sell 1.5-pound crab-inspired ‘Chessie’ pretzels at Byrd Stadium

chessie814b.jpg

@levineps

#352 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:13 AM

Washington Post: Randy Edsall says Michigan's football crowds are big but not loud

http://www.washingto...g-but-not-loud/

“You know, I had the opportunity to play in the Big House when I was in Connecticut coaching there, and when they had just finished the expansion [to] 113,000,” Edsall said on 106.7 The Fan. “Yeah, it’s big, but it’s not loud. I mean, that’s one thing with Michigan, it’s not a loud crowd. And I think the biggest thing with that situation, you go in there and they understand that, ‘Hey, the field is the same size here at Byrd as it is there.’

“And the biggest thing you’ve got to do is go out and out and get on top of them and try to take the crowd out of the game,” Edsall went on. “But we’ve played at Clemson and Florida State and those places, and Clemson is as loud as it gets. So I don’t think our guys will be intimidated by that. It’s just kind of the history of the Big House and Ohio [State's] stadium and Penn State. But again, just go focus on what you’ve got to focus on, and that’s playing against the guy you’re lined up next to.”

If you read on, there's a quote from the Michigan Daily in 2007 explaining that no, the Big House doesn't get too loud.

Sound often evaporates into the air at The Big House, which has a reputation for being a relatively quiet stadium despite touting the nation’s largest crowds …

@BSLZackKiesel

#353 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,486 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:24 AM

Washington Post: Randy Edsall says Michigan's football crowds are big but not loud
http://www.washingto...g-but-not-loud/

If you read on, there's a quote from the Michigan Daily in 2007 explaining that no, the Big House doesn't get too loud.

1) Will Edsall bring Gene Hackman and his tape measure on the Ann Arbor road trip?

2) No matter how true it may be, Randy, it is almost always a bad idea to call out a fan base for being less than their reputation purports. Best answer to that question...."The Big House is LOUD!"
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#354 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:23 AM

Washington PostMaryland will sell 1.5-pound crab-inspired ‘Chessie’ pretzels at Byrd Stadium

chessie814b.jpg

"Crab-inspired"? The hell does that mean? Is it Krab with a K?

Looks good though.

@DJ_McCann

#355 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,486 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:35 PM

My cholesterol went up just looking at the photo. Or is it Kholesterol?

#356 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 03:34 PM

This Giant Crab-Topped Pretzel Is A Tasty-Looking Horror

@DJ_McCann

#357 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:02 PM

Whew.  Testudo has been hitting the cross-fit hard.  Dude's gotta be eating close to double his body weight in grams of protein.  Or could he be on the Keto Diet?  Either way, dude is jacked.  Seriously:

testodoscary914e.jpg

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#358 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:09 PM

Keith Olbermann invoked Anthony Bosch :P

@DJ_McCann

#359 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:28 AM

I have to sell my tickets for the Ohio State game since it's Yom Kippur. I have two seats in sect 308, row T. Message me if interested.

@levineps

#360 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,486 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:58 AM

I have to sell my tickets for the Ohio State game since it's Yom Kippur. I have two seats in sect 308, row T. Message me if interested.

OSU fans need not reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=