¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#202 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:25 PM

So you didn't trust JJ to get us out of the jam, OK. Who should Buck have had warming up and then brought in?

Could have had any of them really. Hunter or Patton more likely. When JJ doesn't have it he looks real bad and its easy to see when he doesn't have it.

#203 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

Could have had any of them really. Hunter or Patton more likely. When JJ doesn't have it he looks real bad and its easy to see when he doesn't have it.

I mean sure since you have all the answers, it's not like he had a save streak going.

@levineps

#204 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

Unfortunately that's just the cookie crumbles sometimes.   In a one-run game, you pretty much have to live and die with your league-leading closer.     He threw a total of 13 pitches.  I don't even think that gives you enough time to get a reliever warmed up, unless you're going to have someone warming at all times.

• Oriole85 likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#205 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

Unfortunately it's just the cookie crumbles sometimes.   In a one-run game, you pretty much have to live and die by your league-leading closer.     He threw a total of 13 pitches.  I don't even think you have enough time to get a reliever warmed up, unless you're going to have someone warming at all times.

Stop making sense Sammy, we always need to find someone to blame when things don't turn out as planned.

@levineps

#206 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

Stop making sense Sammy, we always need to find someone to blame when things don't turn out as planned.

it's a funny game, man.  If you're losing every other game you play, you're doing pretty good.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#207 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

I mean sure since you have all the answers, it's not like he had a save streak going.

I never said I had all the answers. The save streak was over by the time I would have taken him out so that is irrelevant. Sorry that I said something that wasn't a rave review about Showalter.

#208 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

Unfortunately that's just the cookie crumbles sometimes.   In a one-run game, you pretty much have to live and die with your league-leading closer.     He threw a total of 13 pitches.  I don't even think that gives you enough time to get a reliever warmed up, unless you're going to have someone warming at all times.

You warm someone after he gives up back to back singles. With a visit to the mound, a few pickoffs, and a visit by Wieters there is more than enough time to get someone warmed up.

#209 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

You warm someone after he gives up back to back singles. With a visit to the mound, a few pickoffs, and a visit by Wieters there is more than enough time to get someone warmed up.

I've never been Showalter's biggest fan, but you know that this just isn't true. Maybe in a deciding game of a playoff series, but not in mid-May against a team three games under .500. You let Johnson pitch.

@DJ_McCann

#210 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

Buck's psychological approach is probably going to result in more positive performances than negative performances over the long haul.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#211 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:33 PM

I've never been Showalter's biggest fan, but you know that this just isn't true. Maybe in a deciding game of a playoff series, but not in mid-May against a team three games under .500. You let Johnson pitch.

Didn't we learn last year that every game counts? One more win in mid-May or mid-June or mid-whatever and they wouldn't have been in the position they were in.

#212 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:46 PM

Didn't we learn last year that every game counts? One more win in mid-May or mid-June or mid-whatever and they wouldn't have been in the position they were in.

Yeah and another few losses and they miss the playoffs. This is one-side thinking. You only tend to think of the games you should've won instead of loss. Look I get you and your act, pretty obvious with the "Virtual Mayhem" shtick. 

@levineps

#213 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:49 PM

Yeah and another few losses and they miss the playoffs. This is one-side thinking. You only tend to think of the games you should've won instead of loss. Look I get you and your act, pretty obvious with the "Virtual Mayhem" shtick. 

Not sure what my name has to do with anything. It was from an old online video game and has nothing to do with the Orioles.

#214 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:51 PM

Not sure what my name has to do with anything. It was from an old online video game and has nothing to do with the Orioles.

Guess it's just a coincidence then.

@levineps

#215 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:20 PM

As Oriole85 pointed out, you can go the other way on that, too. They start getting antsy with their best reliever and pulling him quick for inferior pitchers, suddenly you could be looking at as many extra losses as extra wins.

Every game counts, but that doesn't mean you use up your bullpen against a non-divisional opponent in the first third of the season. That creates its own disadvantages for the next few games, and doesn't even give you a much better chance of a win in the first place.

• Oriole85 likes this
@DJ_McCann

#216 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,622 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:35 AM

He just didn't have it tonight. You live by the closer you die by the closer but pulling him in the middle of the inning is a bad idea.
  • Oriole85 likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=