389 replies to this topic

#281 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:15 PM

The State Center development plan is dead, and Hogan & Franchot envision an arena there instead.

http://www.bizjourna...d-franchot.html

Very interesting development.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#282 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:05 PM

Seems like that whole State Center redevelopment talk has been going on forever. I know they were tossing plans around when I still lived back there.

I still think the Hackerman plan to build an arena in conjunction with a convention center/hotel expansion was the best idea yet. But if they plan to build something comparable to Verizon Center in size and amenities, then Midtown wouldn't be terrible. The area is reasonably accessible by both car (I-83 and MLK Blvd) and mass transit.

• NewMarketSean and DuffMan like this

#283 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:10 PM

Saw Amy Schumer on Saturday night at the Chicken Box. Still not a bad place to see a concert, musical or comedy, but what the heck is up with the bathrooms? There's like twice as many women's rooms as men's rooms. And they're on separate floors.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#284 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:01 PM

Also saw the show and the arena was just fine for a comedy performance.

#285 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:50 PM

Saw Amy Schumer on Saturday night at the Chicken Box. Still not a bad place to see a concert, musical or comedy, but what the heck is up with the bathrooms? There's like twice as many women's rooms as men's rooms. And they're on separate floors.

What kind of audience does Amy Schumer draw? The bathroom ratio might have been just right for that event.

#286 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:44 PM

I was there too, she was really good. Comedy is much better in a smaller venue than an arena but it was fine.

#287 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:00 PM

What kind of audience does Amy Schumer draw? The bathroom ratio might have been just right for that event.
That's a good point and my wife said one of the bathrooms was a converted men's room so you may be right. But I remember there being more women's rooms when I was there last time, for the MD/Princeton game in 2015.

#288 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:50 PM

That's a good point and my wife said one of the bathrooms was a converted men's room so you may be right. But I remember there being more women's rooms when I was there last time, for the MD/Princeton game in 2015.

Women take longer to use the bathroom than men. Makes sense to have more 

#289 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:14 PM

BBJ: Leonsis: Caps, Wizards would play more games in Baltimore if there was a new arena

http://www.bizjourna...u&ed=2017-03-23

#290 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:11 PM

If we build a new arena we don't want the WASHINGTON teams playing in it.
  • Chris B likes this

#291 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:36 PM

So then nobody it is.

#292 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:52 PM

Baltimore's NBA team has been playing in the DC area for decades now... time to get it back...   ;-)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#293 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:08 AM

I'm with Bnick. WAS will be throwing Baltimore a bone to keep NBA and NHL teams out of Baltimore, but I don't think we stand a chance in hell to get one anyway. I mean, the O's draw minuscule crowds even while contending and the Ravens are starting to see drops in attendance as well. I can only imagine what it would look like during an NHL or NBA season.

• Mike in STL likes this

#294 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:43 AM

Agree that getting either an NBA or NHL team is very unlikely, so to me there's not much point in building an arena.

#295 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:20 AM

The city needs a new arena. And they should build one that could one day hold an NBA or NHL team. Just because it may seem unlikely now doesn't mean it'll always stay that way.

• Mike in STL likes this

#296 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:25 AM

I wish there was some huge old brick building downtown that they could gut and turn into a big-time arena...  kinda like what OPACY did, but do it inside of something instead of outside...  

The Warehouse is probably big enough, area-wise, but it's exactly the wrong shape...  you couldn't make up a wronger shape...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#297 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:39 AM

I wish there was some huge old brick building downtown that they could gut and turn into a big-time arena...  kinda like what OPACY did, but do it inside of something instead of outside...  

The Warehouse is probably big enough, area-wise, but it's exactly the wrong shape...  you couldn't make up a wronger shape...

Is there an arena in the US that has done anything like this? I can't think of one.

The convention center is the perfect spot for an arena, combined with a new convention center and hotel complex. There were plans and drawings for it a few years ago.

#298 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:45 AM

The city needs a new arena. And they should build one that could one day hold an NBA or NHL team. Just because it may seem unlikely now doesn't mean it'll always stay that way.

Absolutely. If you're going to build one spare no expense so that an NHL or NBA team is possible at some point in the future. 

#299 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:46 AM

I also wouldn't mind a few Wizards/Capitals games, I guess. But if they're going to do it they should go all out and make them appear as if they're a Baltimore team for those few games, especially the Wizards. Go retro Bullets. That would probably be a big hit.

#300 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:52 AM

Well if at some point it seems like it likely, then they could reconsider. Not the other way around.

Besides, I'm not a fan of public money funding stadiums/arenas for the most part.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=