#21 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

And then there's this...what a moron.

Mike Wallace @Wallace17_daKid 16m

All these beautiful women in the world and guys wanna mess with other guys SMH...

#22 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

And then there's this...what a moron.

Mike Wallace @Wallace17_daKid 16m

All these beautiful women in the world and guys wanna mess with other guys SMH...

How long until his "apology?" Who wants to set this over/under?

@levineps

#23 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

How long until his "apology?" Who wants to set this over/under?

Looks like it's already been deleted.

#24 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

I'm sure we'll find out his twitter account was "hacked." :roll:

#25 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

I'm sure we'll find out his twitter account was "hacked." :roll:

Amazing how frequently that happens, isn't it?

#26 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

"Next on SportsCenter, what does Jason Collins' decision to come out mean for the Lakers and Tim Tebow?"

• BSLChrisStoner, SportsGuy, BaltBird 24 and 1 other like this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#27 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

He picked up more followers on Twitter in the hour after his story than in his previous 430 days on the social networking site, going from 3,700 to over 9,000. A short time later @jasoncollins34 was over 13,000 followers.

#28 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

He picked up more followers on Twitter in the hour after his story than in his previous 430 days on the social networking site, going from 3,700 to over 9,000. A short time later @jasoncollins34 was over 13,000 followers.

Pushing 30k now. I'm sure some people will have stupid stuff to say, but I bet he'll be pleasantly surprised by the number of people that will tweet their support to him.

@AdamWolff

#29 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

I followed him on the twitter immediately. Great courage to do this. I can't wait to heckle Mike Wallace for his nonsense.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

@fuzydunlop

#30 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,633 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

Good for him. He's a brave man. Hopefully this leads to more players being comfortable enough to be themselves.

#31 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,108 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

Good for him for coming out, takes some balls to be the first guy.

Agree with others that say it won't really change the conversation too much until a star-level player comes out, and each sport will have their own "crossing the line" moments, but this is big just in someone being out and still (assuming he gets signed) being active.

#32 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

Marc Stein@ESPNSteinLine1h

Reality is Collins, at 34, might not have been in NBA next season under any circumstances because he's been end-of-roster player for years

#33 waroriole

waroriole

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 519 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

It's very nice to see how overwhelmingly positive the reaction to this has been. Of course, as someone said earlier the people who are against him are probably more likely to keep their mouth shut since the media is on the lookout for negative responses from public figures. 

Responses from people like Kobe and Wade should provide a good insight into how he would be treated in a locker room if he plays next year.

#34 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

http://espn.go.com/s...ns-announcement

• Adam Wolff likes this

#35 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

http://espn.go.com/s...ns-announcement

That is awesome.

@AdamWolff

#36 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

It's very nice to see how overwhelmingly positive the reaction to this has been. Of course, as someone said earlier the people who are against him are probably more likely to keep their mouth shut since the media is on the lookout for negative responses from public figures. 

Responses from people like Kobe and Wade should provide a good insight into how he would be treated in a locker room if he plays next year.

Just like it wasn't popular to speak up for gay rights a decade or so ago, it's now even more unpopular to be "anti-gay." I have no doubt Chris Broussard and Mark Jackson are speaking from the heart, but it's hard to do that and not expect backlash. I'm sure if Tony Dungy is interviewed on this topic, he'd get public scorn as well. As long as you don't "Tim Hardaway" from about 3-5 years ago, I don't have any with it but I can see how others would be easily offended.

@levineps

#37 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,633 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

It's very nice to see how overwhelmingly positive the reaction to this has been. Of course, as someone said earlier the people who are against him are probably more likely to keep their mouth shut since the media is on the lookout for negative responses from public figures. Responses from people like Kobe and Wade should provide a good insight into how he would be treated in a locker room if he plays next year.
Just like it wasn't popular to speak up for gay rights a decade or so ago, it's now even more unpopular to be "anti-gay."
For good reason.

#38 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

It'll be a real story when a known player, a very good- All Star caliber player comes out. Heck, even someone in the middle of a contract.

This guy might not even play another game in the NBA and what annoys me is there will be a whole big conversation about whether Collins is being discriminated against when in truth he's just not worthy of a roster spot anymore.

#39 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

For good reason.

That's an opinion, one that I share, but I try to tolerate other opposing viewpoints.

• BobPhelan likes this
@levineps

#40 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:08 PM

When I saw Jason Collins's picture, they had him wearing a NJ Nets jersey.  I started to wonder how much of a distraction it would be for the Nets in the playoffs. Then I found out that he played for the Wizards this season.  No reason to worry about that being a distraction for the Wizards during the playoffs.  :-P

@mrbeanage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=