168 replies to this topic

#41 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:55 PM

Not to diminish the courage Collins showed in publicly coming out, but as has been mentioned, there's a good chance his days as an active NBA player may have been over regardless of this announcement. And perhaps he realized that....and might not have come out if he thought he might get another contract.

Still, this is yet another step towards the day when an NBA/NFL/MLB athlete who is a household name in the prime of his career comes out. And hopefully it won't be much longer after that when the response to an announcement like this is met with a shrug and the player is simply asked, "tell me about what you did in last night's game."

#42 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:04 PM

When I saw Jason Collins's picture, they had him wearing a NJ Nets jersey.  I started to wonder how much of a distraction it would be for the Nets in the playoffs. Then I found out that he played for the Wizards this season.  No reason to worry about that being a distraction for the Wizards during the playoffs.  :-P

I think he almost definitely would've been outed in that scenario. While I have no problem with a player coming out, I do it would be self-centering to make such an announcement during the playoffs while their team was in it.

@levineps

#43 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:38 AM

This article has some highlights from his interview with 'Good Morning America' this morning. Pretty good read, hope I can find the interview online.

http://espn.go.com/n...enly-gay-player

@AdamWolff

#44 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

FOX Sports: Beware: Critics to come for Collins

http://msn.foxsports...response-043013

I actually expected there to be a bit more of a backlash. I wasn't aware of Chris Broussard's religious convictions, but I know Mark Jackson is an ordained minister and Tim Brando has referenced his ideology a bunch of times. Mark Jackson gets a pass in my books, he's a coach, he's not in the media, of the Warriors want him to shut up, that's up to them, but they knew full well about his background upon hiring him I know Al Michaels has made some subtle political references(and it's been publicly reported on his political donations), he's a legend NBC needs him more than he needs them. I'm surprised CBS executives haven't said to Brando, we pay you for your sports opinions, stop tweeting about politics (he's referred to James Carville as his "favorite" Democrat) and making references to your ideology on the air. I actually like Brando, few are as passionate about college sports as he is and he's a great ambassador in this regard.

CBS radio host and TV personality Tim Brando, sensing an opportunity to light up his radio phone lines, made it perfectly clear on his Twitter feed that he doesn’t regard Collins as any kind of hero. Brando also used the Collins’ announcement as an opportunity to throw some red meat to any FOX News watchers looking for a friendly radio sports voice.

“Simple Being a Christian White male over 50 that's raised a family means nothing in today's culture. The sad truth. Period,” Brando tweeted.

First of all, I disagree about just using this to the stir the pot as I mentioned above, it's how he really feels. Sure he knows being a veteran in the business, he'll become a lightning rod for controversy by making such a statment. Now he's supported his family by talking sports for a living (not to mention some very high-profile assignments and probably good $$$ to go along with that), something many of us envy. I have no idea why he's playing the race/religious card here, I thought Whitlocks retort to this was good. Hero is an overused term and he's certainly entitled to think Jason Collins isn't one. But don't go listing David Toms, Hootie(from Hootie and the Blowfish) for giving money to chairty, and Curt Gowdy for helping mentor him as "heros." I tweeted him on the last one, that if Gowdy is a hero for that reason, Jason Collins is more than one for GLBT youth out there. To which he replied sure he's a hero to them. I don't think you have to be save a life, cure cancer to be one, at the same time, I think it's misplaced when talking about someone hitting a walkoff homer or game-winning goal but not in this case.

I fully expect — and quite frankly I demand — David Stern to use his power to ensure that Jason Collins has a job in the NBA for 82 games next season. This is a chance for basketball to be as important as baseball in 1947.

While I'd like to see Jason play next-year, I hope he makes a team based on his talent NOT as a publicity stunt. I'm sure Whitlock is exaggerated a bit with Stern using his power. He is also off-base as saying this could be as important as 1947. Jackie Robinson was pre-Brown v. BOE, Civil Rights Act of 1964, etc. I've always said that Branch Rickey signing Jackie transcended sports more than anything else. Yes I know, gays are still discriminated against but the tide is turning much more. If this had been a decade ago, I could've seen more of impact. I think at this point, someone had to be the first, and he's lifted that burden off of others.

@levineps

#45 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

I found it interesting that his girlfriend of 8 years (who he was engaged to) nor his twin brother had the slightest suspicion but his aunt knew for years before he told her.

@levineps

#46 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

Pro Basketball Talk: Jason Collins reportedly drawing interest from Detroit Pistons

http://probasketball..._medium=twitter

@levineps

#47 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

Pro Basketball Talk: Jason Collins reportedly drawing interest from Detroit Pistons

http://probasketball..._medium=twitter

The Pistons are soooooo gay..

Good luck Jason!

@beginthebegin71

#48 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

Seems like a good fit. That team could go in a number of directions and so you bring in someone with a strong professional work ethic. Drummond in particular could be helped by his presence.

#49 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

ESPN: Pistons not signing Jason Collins

http://espn.go.com/n...lks-reports-say

@levineps

#50 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:50 AM

ESPN: Will an NBA team sign Jason Collins?

http://espn.go.com/n...-not-nba-roster

If he doesn't make an NBA roster, I'm pretty confident it will be a lack of talent and not because of his sexuality. I might not have said that a decade ago, but I think that's a good thing.

• BobPhelan likes this
@levineps

#51 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

http://sports.yahoo....51031--nba.html

Great to see!

#52 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

The cynic in me thinks the league made this happen so they can call themself the first major pro league to have an active gay player.

They know Sam is about to make an NFL roster.
  • Adam Wolff likes this

#53 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:39 PM

bump

@levineps

#54 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:52 PM

The cynic in me thinks the league made this happen so they can call themself the first major pro league to have an active gay player.

They know Sam is about to make an NFL roster.

I wouldn't be shocked if that was the case. Seems odd that he gets signed now, after the Sam announcement.

He's an irrelevant player, but it's a step forward for the cause.

@AdamWolff

#55 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

I don't really know the situation, but I like to think he's making this on merit and not as a publicity stunt. And the Michael Sam thing is only a coincidence. How much attention is this really going to get tonight?

@levineps

#56 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:03 PM

Kidd was apparently a big advocate of signing his former teammate.

#57 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:26 PM

They need a backup center who can play a little Defense, and give you 10-12 minutes per night. I don't think there's anything more to it than that. It was either him or Big Baby, and Baby chose the Clippers.

Hopefully it won't matter much, he'll get a nice hand when he comes in, and that'll be it.

@beginthebegin71

#58 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:45 PM

He just got in for the first time. Applause, of course.

#59 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:47 PM

He just got in for the first time. Applause, of course.

It's not on TV if you don't get League Pass right?

@levineps

#60 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:19 PM

http://deadspin.com/...-his-1529410118
  • Oriole85 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic