#1 MKlein76

MKlein76

Sports Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationGlen Burnie, MD

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

NBA center Jason Collins announced he's gay.

http://espn.go.com/n...y-active-player

NBA center Jason Collins on Monday announced that he's gay in a story for Sports Illustrated, becoming the first active player in a major American team sport to announce that he is gay.

"I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation," Collins wrote. "I wish I wasn't the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, 'I'm different.' If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I'm raising my hand."

@MKlein76

#2 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

Good for him. I'm sure that takes a hell of a lot of courage and it's nice to see initial responses seeming to be positive.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

@AdamWolff

#3 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,547 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

It needed to happen. Ultimately, I'm looking forward to the day when a center averaging 1.1 PPG is not a hero because of his sexuality. But he is definitely to be commended here.

#4 MKlein76

MKlein76

Sports Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationGlen Burnie, MD

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

Now that the first active player in a major American team sport has come out, how long before another player comes out and announces they are gay?

@MKlein76

#5 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

"Proud of @jasoncollins34," the tweet read. "Don't suffocate who u r because of the ignorance of others #courage #support #mambaarmystandup #BYOU"

Tweet from Kobe Bryant.

He is a FA and isn't that good of a player anymore...So, will he play anymore?  And if he doesn't, will people assume he doesn't get picked up because he is gay?

#6 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

Dana O'Neil summed up my thoughts well:

Dana O'Neil @ESPNDanaOneil 1h

Wish Jason Collins news wasn't news and hope someday it won't be. But for now I applaud him and his honesty.

#7 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

Good for him. I'm sure that takes a hell of a lot of courage and it's nice to see initial responses seeming to be positive.

This.

#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

"Proud of @jasoncollins34," the tweet read. "Don't suffocate who u r because of the ignorance of others #courage #support #mambaarmystandup #BYOU"

Tweet from Kobe Bryant.

He is a FA and isn't that good of a player anymore...So, will he play anymore?  And if he doesn't, will people assume he doesn't get picked up because he is gay?

At the end of the day, I don't it will matter much. If he can contribute he'll play, if not he won't. At this point, he's probably more marketable for being gay. This country has come a long way on this issue than even a few years ago. So in a market like San Francisco(Golden State), I could see them as more likely to give him a chance.

Obviously, not all fans are rational and I'm sure some at an LGBT rights group organization will take that stance that he's being discriminated against.

@levineps

#9 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,547 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

At the end of the day, I don't it will matter much. If he can contribute he'll play, if not he won't. At this point, he's probably more marketable for being gay. This country has come a long way on this issue than even a few years ago. So in a market like San Francisco(Golden State), I could see them as more likely to give him a chance.

Obviously, not all fans are rational and I'm sure some at an LGBT rights group organization will take that stance that he's being discriminated against.

There's no way of knowing every GM's take on this issue. I think the country as a whole has certainly come a long way. In our generation, you're almost weird at this point if you don't support the LGBT community. That's a positive thing. But there's no way to know if it could impact things. What I think sucks is that the LGBT community, or activitis on behalf of that community will definitely assume that if he doesn't get picked up next year, it's because of his coming out. I don't think that's fair, yet at the same time, it wouldn't be safe to assume that it wouldn't be due to that either.

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

Yes, it's a big a deal that a major North American based male team athete came out. It's important first step. I don't get how some can say otherwise, the fact is no active player (the critiera above) had come out until this time. It's never easy to be the first at anything, just ask Jackie Robinson. That said, with how far our society has come on this topic, I think if he done it even a few years ago and especially a decade ago, it would've had a bigger impact. I'm not saying it should be a superstar, but ideally it would've been someone who was actually signed onto a team. Like Rob said above, if he doesn't get signed somewhere, that could always be an excuse as unfairly as probably would be.

@levineps

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:54 AM

I want to hear more from current players.

Media members saying good job is nice and all but its his peers that matter in this type of situation.

If he is openly accepted by most of the NBA players, it will make it that much easier other guys to come out.

If he is rejected by NBA players, then other players may not come out.

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

There's no way of knowing every GM's take on this issue. I think the country as a whole has certainly come a long way. In our generation, you're almost weird at this point if you don't support the LGBT community. That's a positive thing. But there's no way to know if it could impact things. What I think sucks is that the LGBT community, or activitis on behalf of that community will definitely assume that if he doesn't get picked up next year, it's because of his coming out. I don't think that's fair, yet at the same time, it wouldn't be safe to assume that it wouldn't be due to that either.

Yeah I agree unless they've stated their positions and usually they don't because sports and politics don't usually mesh well. Other than Brian Burke (NHL) and I think he's unemployed right now, I'm not sure of any other front office executives who've embraced the gay rights movement publicly.

What I do think is the teams will do whats best for their business. And I said this in regards to Te'o when he was rumored to be gay, he was more likely to become an NFL player than some other "normal" dime-a-dozen job because of the specialized skill set. A lot of people in pro sports would have a hard time getting real jobs with their attitudes, but then again they'd probably not act that way at your typical job.

OTOH, some team might not want him because of the distraction this has created, but I actually think they'll get good publicity as a result. When/if they cut him, they'll have to deal with those questions though most likely.

@levineps

#13 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:00 PM

I want to hear more from current players.

Media members saying good job is nice and all but its his peers that matter in this type of situation.

If he is openly accepted by most of the NBA players, it will make it that much easier other guys to come out.

If he is rejected by NBA players, then other players may not come out.

I don't think too many players are going to say, "keep it to yourself," like they did before. I would like those players to be re-interviewed now. People in general don't like to voice unpopular, prejudice opinions. So I'm sure many players privately disapprove.

@levineps

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

Now that the first active player in a major American team sport has come out, how long before another player comes out and announces they are gay?

It's always important to get over that first hurdle. I think the next step is someone who is actually on a team roster and then a prominent player. In a few years, it will be like baseball after it was "fully" integrated.

@levineps

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

BTW, the fact that this is an issue at all, whether politically or not, is pretty sad.  Just let people do what they want to do.  As long as they respect your rights, then they aren't doing anything wrong.

But the need to respect you is the case for anything.

#16 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

Well, the key will be an active player who is guaranteed to be on a team.

Like I said, Collins is a FA and may not have been picked up by anyone regardless of this announcement.

So now, will a guy who is definitely going to be on a team come out? 

#17 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,547 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

Like I said, Collins is a FA and may not have been picked up by anyone regardless of this announcement.

It's only a matter of time before a mega star comes out. A guy who just signed a 10 year/$250M deal. And it should.

I agree with your sentiments on this all the way... but it's a testament to just not being there yet, despite being MUCH closer than we were even a decade ago.

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

I think Rob is right here, for as much celebrating about the monumental achievement this is(and it is) and while he's technically active, so are many other athletes who just haven't turned in thier retirement papers.

@levineps

#19 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

We've all seen how quickly players have been vilified for homophobic comments recently, so I doubt there will be too much blow back in the locker room. The media will not let any of that slide if they catch even the slightest wind of it. Bigot fans might be another thing all together. I don't know how commonplace it will be, but I'm sure there will be some a-holes that think yelling slurs at him (or others) is somehow funny or acceptable. I just hope that sort of thing will be short-lived and that a player's sexuality won't soon matter at all.

#20 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

It's only a matter of time before a mega star comes out. A guy who just signed a 10 year/$250M deal. And it should.

I agree with your sentiments on this all the way... but it's a testament to just not being there yet, despite being MUCH closer than we were even a decade ago.

That will definitely be interesting and to see fan reaction at this point. I think it's actually easier for no-name to come out and then be embraced than a major star. Do their biggest fans still buy their jerseys?

@levineps

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=