His OPS is over 800 again.

#63 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,997 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:12 AM

Fantastic week from Markakis. A few doubles, a few homers, lots of walks. Exactly what we want from him. Hopefully he can keep this up and get back to the 850-900 OPS guy we've see him be in the past.

#64 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:48 AM

After a 1-9 for in the two games against NY, Markakis was 2 for 7 with a double last night vs. KC.

#65 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:47 AM

Markakis' winning shot vs. the Nationals: http://mlb.mlb.com/v...py_21555295&v=3

#66 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:47 AM

Markakis' winning shot vs. the Nationals: http://mlb.mlb.com/v...py_21555295&v=3

He really hit the crap out of that ball...he is on a 36 double, 28 homer pace.

#67 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

Markakis homers for the 2nd straight night, his 8th, knocking in 2.

#68 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:47 PM

Hey everyone. Normally when I do research on something and write up an article I will post it here after I've posted it on my site, but it's pretty long and there are charts in it that I do not particularly feel like having to completely reformat to be legible in this thread.

Instead, I will provide the link for those interested in the research I've done in relation to the money that Markakis is making versus his overall production (value) since 2006. The results may actually surprise some of you, just as the valuations that I've done (formula borrowed from another site, which I've given credit to) may stir up some healthy debate into the merits of the numbers or just player valuations in general.

Let me know what you think - I'd love to be able to refine the values/formula used to make things more accurate if anyone feels they are off.

http://burningdowntheyard.com/?p=2444

#69 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

Was a bit nervous after Markakis got hit on the wrist in the 1st tonight. Had 3 hits after that, including a double to LCF, and a double to RCF.

#70 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:08 PM

Was a bit nervous after Markakis got hit on the wrist in the 1st tonight. Had 3 hits after that, including a double to LCF, and a double to RCF.

Surprised Hale dint send Hardy after the second double.

Nice game for Nick tonight..Used all fields.

#71 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:08 PM

So far, UZR has Nicks defense at awful level...-8.1 and his UZR/150 is -25.3.

BBR has his defensive WAR at -.6.

Do you guys agree with these defensive stats? Does he look that bad?

#72 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

So far, UZR has Nicks defense at awful level...-8.1 and his UZR/150 is -25.3.

BBR has his defensive WAR at -.6.

Do you guys agree with these defensive stats? Does he look that bad?

I've seen every pitch of all but 2-3 games. No, I don't believe those stats. If we went through every game thread, we would see far more examples of Markakis making positive plays vs. qualms with his defense.

I know Oriole85 disagrees with me, but I still see a guy that is strong going to the line, with a plus arm. I've seen other O's fans say they feel Markakis' arm is not what it used to be. I don't agree with that either. I think it remains strong and accurate. I don't think he gets tested as often. I do think he has limitations going towards CF, and is average ish coming in on the ball. I tend to watch him in comparison to other RF's in most series, and I believe he is among the best.

I do realize my eyes can deceive me, and I can see what I want to see. However, at the minimum, I think the truth is somewhere between what I see as his positives (or his GG), and the negative defensive metrics.

#73 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:15 PM

I agree Chris. His defensive issues have stayed the same IMO.

I don't see any difference this year.

Of course, it's also a SSS, so you can only read so much into it.

#74 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:22 PM

I've seen every pitch of all but 2-3 games. No, I don't believe those stats. If we went through every game thread, we would see far more examples of Markakis making positive plays vs. qualms with his defense.

I know Oriole85 disagrees with me, but I still see a guy that is strong going to the line, with a plus arm. I've seen other O's fans say they feel Markakis' arm is not what it used to be. I don't agree with that either. I think it remains strong and accurate. I don't think he gets tested as often. I do think he has limitations going towards CF, and is average ish coming in on the ball. I tend to watch him in comparison to other RF's in most series, and I believe he is among the best.

I do realize my eyes can deceive me, and I can see what I want to see. However, at the minimum, I think the truth is somewhere between what I see as his positives (or his GG), and the negative defensive metrics.

Big time disagree with you there. Any popup or fly ball down the rightfield is an adventure as to whether he'll get there or not. He's average/solid in that he catches everything he gets to and makes very few mistakes. He's not fast and I'm not sure about his first step. I don't think he's awful by any means, just closer to average. I think he'd be exposed a lot more in a place that has a big RF.

#75 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

Big time disagree with you there. Any popup or fly ball down the rightfield is an adventure as to whether he'll get there or not. He's average/solid in that he catches everything he gets to and makes very few mistakes. He's not fast and I'm not sure about his first step. I don't think he's awful by any means, just closer to average. I think he'd be exposed a lot more in a place that has a big RF.

I would say he is average to slightly above....certainly not as bad as UZR indicates.

#76 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:43 PM

It's the same issue that has been brought up with Jones, and the root of why most experts don't put stock in defensive metrics. Whatever the reason, they just don't seem to line up with what you see day to day.
@JeremyMStrain

#77 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:46 PM

It's the same issue that has been brought up with Jones, and the root of why most experts don't put stock in defensive metrics. Whatever the reason, they just don't seem to line up with what you see day to day.

I'm by no means an expert but I put very little stock in defensive metrics. When it comes to defense I'll trust my eyes. Especially, when it is guys I'm seeing play every night.

#78 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:54 PM

I'm by no means an expert but I put very little stock in defensive metrics. When it comes to defense I'll trust my eyes. Especially, when it is guys I'm seeing play every night.

Yeah there are just way too many variables involved in order to use numbers to give you an idea on defensive ability.
@JeremyMStrain

#79 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:56 PM

It's interesting because over the past 3 seasons or so the following has been true of Jones & Markakis:

They put up well below average UZR at OPACY and just above average UZR on the road. As a result, both look pretty bad on defense according to UZR, but the issue seems to be with UZR at OPACY. Interesting anomaly for sure.
@JeffLongBP

#80 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:59 PM

UZR is a good guide but not much more than that.

We see these guys everyday, so I tend to trust that more than when I don't see guys at all or very little.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=