#381 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:16 AM

Two homeruns in one day!? 

I know this was all about managing expectations, but... that works out to 12.5 home runs this year! POWER HITTER! TO THE WORLD SERIES!

@pjd0014
I'm trying to be better about sharing code for reuse: Github

#382 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:58 PM

I would be happy if Markakis can maintain a .400 SLG%

@gabefergy

#383 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:21 PM

BSL: Markakis' Strong Start
https://baltimorespo...eadoff-orioles/

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@JeffLongBP

#384 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:41 PM

Serious question: how much of Nick's slash line differences between leading off and batting third do you attribute to SSS and arbitrary start and endpoints? I do think he profiles as a leadoff batter based on his skill set, but to the dramatic difference in results is something for which I continue to search for a rational explanation.

@pjd0014

#385 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:23 AM

Serious question: how much of Nick's slash line differences between leading off and batting third do you attribute to SSS and arbitrary start and endpoints? I do think he profiles as a leadoff batter based on his skill set, but to the dramatic difference in results is something for which I continue to search for a rational explanation.

I think it's a mixture of things honestly.

A big part of it is arbitrary endpoints, but I also think that he gets pitched differently leading off than when he'd in the three spot. I also think his approach is different ... totally anecdotal but he seems to hit the ball to all fields more leading off whereas he rarely hit those little flairs to left-center when he was batting third.

I also think leading off reinforces certain skills that he innately has. One example being that typically a leadoff guy wants to take more pitches so his teammates can get a sense for how a pitcher is throwing that day. Well, taking more pitches plays to one of Nick's strengths - his knowledge of the strikezone.

I will say that if I had to guess, the difference between the two spots isn't as large as it has seemed in recent seasons, but I do think that he feels more comfortable there and performs better.

• PatrickDougherty likes this
@JeffLongBP

#386 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:08 AM

MLBTR: Free Agent Stock Watch
http://www.mlbtrader...k-markakis.html

#387 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:46 AM

I think he genuinely approaches hitting differently in the two different lineup spots.  He shouldn't, and most hitters don't, but I do think he focuses more on getting on base and keeping his average up at the expense of power when he's leading off than when he's hitting in a more traditional powerful spot of the lineup.

#388 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:31 AM

I think he genuinely approaches hitting differently in the two different lineup spots.  He shouldn't, and most hitters don't, but I do think he focuses more on getting on base and keeping his average up at the expense of power when he's leading off than when he's hitting in a more traditional powerful spot of the lineup.

I agree that he has different approaches and that he shouldn't change his approach, but I'm not so sure I agree that he sacrifices power moving from 3rd to 1st in the lineup. He hasn't really been hitting for power at all, regardless of lineup spot. Whether it's a goal of his and he simply can't accomplish it is a different story, but I don't think I see that happening. I do think that he has more focus on seeing pitches, getting on base, and hitting to all fields when he leads off, but IMO that focus isn't apparent when he's lower in the lineup. It's not that it's shifted, just that it doesn't seem to be there, like he's not really sure what he's supposed to be doing when he bats later.

However, that's just me applying a narrative to the numbers that may/may not/probably is not really there

• JeffLong likes this
@pjd0014

#389 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:47 PM

After looking so good, Nick is 0-8 and 2-13. Not a big deal but he has historically go into slumps after being so good and he has had some rough mid may to mid Junes in his career. Let's hope he can avoid that this time around.

#390 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:52 PM

Btw...how about Nick hitting a window at Dempseys restaurant in batting practice?

That's a huge homer...BP or not.
  • JeffLong and PatrickDougherty like this

#391 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:21 AM

Camden Depot: Nick Markakis secret platoon issue
http://camdendepot.b...toon-issue.html

#392 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:08 AM

10 game hitting streak for Nick....

OPS is up to .783... Now on pace for 14 homers, and 31 doubles...

For the year he has 23 bb's, 28 k's...

#393 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:40 AM

Markakis had a negative UZR/150 each year from 2009-13.

So far in '14, it is positive.

In '13, his Defensive Runs Saved was -7. In '14, his DRS is +2.

There also seems to be some change in the Inside Edge Fielding.

Thoughts?

#394 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:48 AM

Markakis had a negative UZR/150 each year from 2009-13. So far in '14, it is positive.   In '13, his Defensive Runs Saved was -7. In '14, his DRS is +2. There also seems to be some change in the Inside Edge Fielding.   Thoughts?

It's hard to tell really. I don't know if Markakis is playing better or they're judging him differently. Seventy games probably isn't enough to provide any meaningful conclusion when it comes to defensive stats.

#395 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:56 AM

It's hard to tell really. I don't know if Markakis is playing better or they're judging him differently. Seventy games probably isn't enough to provide any meaningful conclusion when it comes to defensive stats.

That's certainly true by all accounts. Just curious and something to watch.

#396 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:36 AM

What does Nicks next contract look like?  He is a valuable piece to have on a team.  He may drive some posters nuts but really since we have a heavy hitting center fielder we can have a good all around OBP guy in rf.  He hits 293 career vs righty and 289 vs lefty.  I do not have any feeling for his market value though.  Would he accept 8 mill after getting 15 for the last two years? 3/24 or so seems fair but I have no clue about this stuff.

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#397 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:16 AM

Somewhere between $8-12M gets it done (I realize that's a big range), hopefully just for 3 years.  He's a solid player, but nothing more.  And there isn't much chance of getting surplus value out of him.  However, we've got no outfield prospects to speak of, so if he left, we'd have to either sign someone else or trade for another solid outfielder, so it's fine to pay him something in line with FA prices. 

I'd be kind of surprised if he generates much FA interest.  I think he's probably more valuable to us than anyone else, as his day-to-day consistency is nice when you get to see it day-to-day.  When you just look at his overall numbers, you see a very average player, and teams don't get too excited about throwing multi-year deals at 31-year old average outfielders.  I think it's the most likely outcome that we resign him to a 3-year deal.

#398 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:47 AM

MASN: Markakis reaches 1,500 hits

http://www.masnsport...nd-the-win.html

#399 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:02 AM

Still has an outside shot at 3000.

@DJ_McCann

#400 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:09 PM

4 for his last 48 with no walks. Again, if he isn't walking, he isn't hitting.

How does he go from being so good(27-65 with 10 walks) to being so bad so quickly?

It's unreal how bad he is at times....he isn't mediocre when he slumps...he's god awful.

Give him a day off or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=