#341 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:52 PM

There's 30 teams, I think some team is going to take a flyer on him, hoping that a COS will work. He's still relatively young after all. If you can get him for $2-3 million, why not? He'll be a 4th OFer at worst. I really think you're underestimating this situation.

That's looking at it right now. If he has a terrible year, I can see most teams being unwilling to make a ML offer.

The Phillies probably will.

@DJ_McCann

#342 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,676 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:54 PM

I think the problem is injuries. That and internal stuff. Nick always got rattled when a bad call went against him. Maybe he's pressing now. Who knows but he's not very good anymore.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#343 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:56 PM

That's looking at it right now. If he has a terrible year, I can see most teams being unwilling to make a ML offer.

The Phillies probably will.

Exactly, we're four games into the season.

@levineps

#344 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,622 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:14 PM

I think we'd re-sign him to a cheap deal if nobody else was banging down the door for him. He still has a great arm and solid approach at the plate.

#345 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:15 PM

I think we'd re-sign him to a cheap deal if nobody else was banging down the door for him. He still has a great arm and solid approach at the plate.

I'd like new blood, but I reserve the right to change my mind here.

@levineps

#346 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,622 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:18 PM

I probably would too but I feel like Angelos and Buck love him.

#347 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:31 PM

I probably would too but I feel like Angelos and Buck love him.

A lot of fans, too.

• BobPhelan likes this
@DJ_McCann

#348 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:46 PM

Aren't we overreacting just a little. Nothing left to provide? How about the only guy on this team who finds a way to get on base a decent clip not named Chris Davis. Hes a role player. That role being leadoff hitter. He makes pitchers work. Rarely has poor at bats like Jones does.

Lets see how he measures up heading into May, healthy for the first time in a year and a half.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#349 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:55 PM

This comparison probably depressed Ben grieve a little.

#350 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:42 PM

He has become to easy to pitch to.

He gets behind the count all the time.

He needs to be more aggressive early in the count if the pitch is right there.

#351 Moose Milligan

Moose Milligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:26 AM

Aren't we overreacting just a little. Nothing left to provide? How about the only guy on this team who finds a way to get on base a decent clip not named Chris Davis. Hes a role player. That role being leadoff hitter. He makes pitchers work. Rarely has poor at bats like Jones does.

Lets see how he measures up heading into May, healthy for the first time in a year and a half.

This is true, I think everyones freaking out a little bit.  He hits to the opposite field and has a good plate approach.  He might not have turned out to be the player we thought he was going to be, but he's still pretty good.    

#352 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:46 AM

This is true, I think everyones freaking out a little bit.  He hits to the opposite field and has a good plate approach.  He might not have turned out to be the player we thought he was going to be, but he's still pretty good.    

Just wish we could have seen him finish developing without that neck and hand injury. Could still bounce back, but looks like a different player.
@JeremyMStrain

#353 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,067 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:11 AM

If he performs like last year, then he's worthless.  And he's looked an awful lot like he did last year in the first 4 games.  That's close to meaningless, he could be back to where he was in 2012 physically and just be having a bad week, but it's definitely a discouraging start.

If he continue to be a bum with a sub-700 OPS, he'll lose his job.  But that won't happen until June or July.  He'll be given every opportunity to show he can hit like he has shown in the past he was capable of, but he won't be given unlimited rope, since the team will be contending and can't afford to just have him playing all the time even if he continues to be one of the absolute worst regulars in the game like he was last season.

#354 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:32 AM

If he performs like last year, then he's worthless.  And he's looked an awful lot like he did last year in the first 4 games.  That's close to meaningless, he could be back to where he was in 2012 physically and just be having a bad week, but it's definitely a discouraging start.

If he continue to be a bum with a sub-700 OPS, he'll lose his job.  But that won't happen until June or July.  He'll be given every opportunity to show he can hit like he has shown in the past he was capable of, but he won't be given unlimited rope, since the team will be contending and can't afford to just have him playing all the time even if he continues to be one of the absolute worst regulars in the game like he was last season.

I highly doubt that. To who? Not saying he shouldn't in the time frame you've outlined, but I just don't see it.

#355 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

Guys,

This is ridiculous. He's only ever posted a wRC+ under 100 once in his career (87 last season). Over his career he's hit 12% better than league average.

He's not a terrific player, but he will undoubtedly get a ML deal next season unless he absolutely collapses this year. We're a little early in the season to claim that he's going to be terrible in 2014. After all, he drew a walk AND got a hit today!

• BSLChrisStoner, Oriole85, fishteacher and 1 other like this
@JeffLongBP

#356 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,887 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:03 PM

Yeah, seriously....numbers aside, he's been a home-grown guy who has been with this club through all the really shitty years.  I know i've over-reacted about him so many times, but it's more like being a frustrated brother of his and wanting him to succeed like we know he could/can.  It's just frustrating...the starting pitching is MUCH MORE CONCERNING to me at this point than him...once again, not one pitcher an make it through 7 innings through the first 5 games...of course, nothing new here.

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#357 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:16 PM

Yeah, seriously....numbers aside, he's been a home-grown guy who has been with this club through all the really shitty years.  I know i've over-reacted about him so many times, but it's more like being a frustrated brother of his and wanting him to succeed like we know he could/can.  It's just frustrating...the starting pitching is MUCH MORE CONCERNING to me at this point than him...once again, not one pitcher an make it through 7 innings through the first 5 games...of course, nothing new here.

Uh at this point of the season most coaches won't let guys go more than 5. Not stretched out enough. Guys going 7so far have had shutouts. But this will be a valid argument in a couple weeks.
@JeremyMStrain

#358 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:27 PM

Uh at this point of the season most coaches won't let guys go more than 5. Not stretched out enough. Guys going 7so far have had shutouts. But this will be a valid argument in a couple weeks.

More than 5? They might be trying to limit the innings, but I don't think too many if any managers are that strict.

http://espn.go.com/m...rt/thirdInnings

@levineps

#359 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:07 PM

Normally, I would consider this an overreaction - but this is a huge decline from where he was 5 years ago. It's not just in his numbers, it's also in the way he plays. He used to turn on pitches and the bat looked much more solid in his hands. Now, when he swings it's hard to image the ball doing anything but going off on a weak line drive or a grounder through the hole. He is still a decent OFer, but there is something incredibly off about his game.

#360 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,782 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:00 PM

A) Nick will have a ML job next year.  

B ) Our RF could be Henry Urrutia next year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=