dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,673 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 02 December 2022 - 10:51 PM

Certainly interesting for the Rangers.

Signing deGrom gives them a top3 of deGrom, Perez and Gray.

Would help them if Josh Jung can solidify 3B.  Probably need to improve an OFer and consider another bat for DH+.

They were a League worst 15-35 in 1-run games last year...that's a number than can turn around in a hurry and change your win total.

....but 5 years for deGrom, yikes.  If they don't care, that's great, but he has been Mr. Glass in his career so far.

#404 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 23 April 2023 - 10:04 AM

#405 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,673 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 June 2023 - 05:37 PM

....but 5 years for deGrom, yikes.  If they don't care, that's great, but he has been Mr. Glass in his career so far.

deGrom done for the year.  Elbow.  Timeline will probably bleed into next year.  

They are winning without him....but yikes.

#406 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,748 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 05:45 PM

Probably bleed into next year??

#407 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,536 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 06 June 2023 - 05:57 PM

Probably bleed into next year??

They were saying on MLB tonight that a second TJ has 21 month or so recovery and that if he rushes it back that could be his career
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#408 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 06:02 PM

Damn, you know and accept the risks going in, but you'd hope to not suffer worst case outcome nearly immediately. Is he definitely having TJ? Gotta imagine they try everything possible to avoid that. 2nd surgeries are far less recoverable than the first time, unless things have improved dramatically very recently.

#409 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,748 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 06:03 PM

They were saying on MLB tonight that a second TJ has 21 month or so recovery and that if he rushes it back that could be his career

Not a young man either. Not in the baseball world.

#410 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,405 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 06:24 PM

Imagine being the GM who thought it'd be a great idea to give that guy a 5 year, $185 million dollar deal with his injury history at his age.

#411 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 07:49 PM

Star right-hander Max Scherzer has been traded from the New York Mets to the Texas Rangers, sources familiar with the situation tell ESPN. The deal is done.

#412 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,622 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 July 2023 - 03:39 AM

Star right-hander Max Scherzer has been traded from the New York Mets to the Texas Rangers, sources familiar with the situation tell ESPN. The deal is done.

They are certainly all in.  If they do not get it done in the next 2 to 3 years, it is likely to get ugly again, quickly.

@mikeghg

#413 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 30 July 2023 - 08:50 PM

They are certainly all in.  If they do not get it done in the next 2 to 3 years, it is likely to get ugly again, quickly.

DeGrom isn't going to pitch for them for another year, and now Nathan Eovaldi is on the IL with a "forearm strain." Those can sometimes lead to Tommy John. The Rangers had to do something. They didn't spend all that money to be good down the road.

#414 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 02:23 PM

FanGraphs: The Rangers Picked a Bad Time to Slow Down

#415 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,205 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 06 September 2023 - 09:57 AM

I was passing through Dallas this weekend, and decided to stay over and take in a Rangers-Astros game. I thought it would be a pretty electric atmosphere, since they're pretty much all locked into dog fight for the division. Boy was I wrong. First of all, their new stadium has no personality or style to it. It's just big and noisy. And it's just a sensory overload experience, including techno music played between pitches. Not between batters, between pitches to each batter. The only time the fans got up, was to either get more food or to hopefully be put on the jumbotron for dancing between innings. Otherwise, they sat pretty lifeless for the game. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#416 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 06 September 2023 - 12:06 PM

I was passing through Dallas this weekend, and decided to stay over and take in a Rangers-Astros game. I thought it would be a pretty electric atmosphere, since they're pretty much all locked into dog fight for the division. Boy was I wrong. First of all, their new stadium has no personality or style to it. It's just big and noisy. And it's just a sensory overload experience, including techno music played between pitches. Not between batters, between pitches to each batter. The only time the fans got up, was to either get more food or to hopefully be put on the jumbotron for dancing between innings. Otherwise, they sat pretty lifeless for the game. 

Ironically, I just went to a Rangers-Mets game last week when I was in New York since I'd never been to Citi Field.  The stadium was decent enough, but yeah sensory overload with all the lights and ad banners.  I guess that's what "modern" stadiums have to do.  Still, much better than new Yankees stadium.

#417 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 06 September 2023 - 01:05 PM

Ironically, I just went to a Rangers-Mets game last week when I was in New York since I'd never been to Citi Field.  The stadium was decent enough, but yeah sensory overload with all the lights and ad banners.  I guess that's what "modern" stadiums have to do.  Still, much better than new Yankees stadium.

For about 3 innings, we were sitting next to a couple that were high school students (he was wearing a blah blah High School shirt). They were loving it. So it may be a generational thing. So I agree, it may be what they need to do, to connect with excite the next gen. baseball fans.

#418 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 06 September 2023 - 11:08 PM

For about 3 innings, we were sitting next to a couple that were high school students (he was wearing a blah blah High School shirt). They were loving it. So it may be a generational thing. So I agree, it may be what they need to do, to connect with excite the next gen. baseball fans.

A stadium can only take you so far. Lately the Rangers have been doing everything to try and keep people away. They have been absolutely horrid lately and no more so than in these last three games against Houston. 

#419 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 07 September 2023 - 07:39 AM

A stadium can only take you so far. Lately the Rangers have been doing everything to try and keep people away. They have been absolutely horrid lately and no more so than in these last three games against Houston. 

Watching that game live made me wonder how they were in the mix to win the division. Their relievers were throwing batting practice.

#420 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,548 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 September 2023 - 11:39 AM

Rangers lost the Chapman trade btw.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors