#101 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:20 PM

The article compares the concept to Bill Maher. If it is a sports version of Politically Incorrect, that would be very interesting.

@DJ_McCann

#102 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

http://espn.go.com/e...ltifaceted-role

How about Nate Silver to ESPN? It seems like he's going to be at the head of a mini Grantland featuring his type of analysis, which is exciting imo.

#103 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

http://espn.go.com/e...ltifaceted-role

How about Nate Silver to ESPN? It seems like he's going to be at the head of a mini Grantland featuring his type of analysis, which is exciting imo.

Having him doing sports again is going to be great, especially since it sounds like he'll still do his political analysis.

@DJ_McCann

#104 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

Deadspin with another great research article.

http://deadspin.com/...dium=socialflow

My favorite:

• The word most associated with the Baltimore Orioles was "win."

#105 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:26 PM

Sports on Earth: Fox Sports Live hopes to be the next SportsCenter
http://www.sportsone...ticle/55116954/

#106 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:15 PM

Sports on Earth: Fox Sports Live hopes to be the next SportsCenter
http://www.sportsone...ticle/55116954/

Fox has the resources to bring in smart people to say smart things about sports. But the panel described here sounds like it takes a page from the ESPN "embrace debate" playbook, which is what Fox Sports 1 should be offering an alternative to. And remember: Viewers these days can watch not just ESPN's or Fox Sports 1's nightly highlight show, but the sport-specific ones airing on the league networks. Those networks may not be perfect, but baseball fans have the option of watching baseball people talk about their sport, just like, say, hockey fans have the option of watching the NHL Network's nightly show. They don't want to watch Gary Payton talk about baseball or hockey any more than they want to watch him talk about badminton.

I have now seen this description of FOX's intentions in 2 different articles. I'm pretty disappointed they are going for the "entertainment" aspect. I frankly hate when ESPN has athletes/analysts/journalists talk about a sport that they're not familiar with.

Very disappointing that FS1 is planning on doing just this.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#107 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:25 PM

I have now seen this description of FOX's intentions in 2 different articles. I'm pretty disappointed they are going for the "entertainment" aspect. I frankly hate when ESPN has athletes/analysts/journalists talk about a sport that they're not familiar with.

Very disappointing that FS1 is planning on doing just this.

Best Damn Sports Show Redux?

@levineps

#108 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:34 PM

Today I just looooooooooooved it on Sportscenter when they were doing their usual spiel but they also let us look in "live" with some grainy footage in a small box of the divers swimming around in some random lake looking for Aaron Hernandez's gun. Talk about absolutely riveting television.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#109 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

Best Damn Sports Show Redux?

At least they were pretty clear which side of the entertainment/sports line they fell on. I mean, Tom Arnold hosted :P

The line about Gary Payton talking badminton (which I of course realize isn't literal) distresses me. Because no matter how entertaining those two anchors are, there is no chance I'm going to want to watch that "roundtable" for very long.

That could end up being the worst outcome of them all; ESPN and FS1 ending up in a Cold War where they are balancing out each other but neither has an incentive from an outside force to do anything differently.

@DJ_McCann

#110 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:29 PM

Today I just looooooooooooved it on Sportscenter when they were doing their usual spiel but they also let us look in "live" with some grainy footage in a small box of the divers swimming around in some random lake looking for Aaron Hernandez's gun. Talk about absolutely riveting television.

That had to be the easiest story to send a crew to in the history of ESPN.

@levineps

#111 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:38 PM

I still like what NBC Sports Network is attempting, but they need to invest more into it.

Doesn't help that the Dan Patrick Show airs on the network everyday, and rarely (almost never) do they ever have on NBC Sports talent.

#112 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:59 PM

Informing viewers in 2013 needs to go beyond reading scores and showing clips. Fans already know what's happened by the time a nightly show like this goes on the air. Fans today are smarter than ever, and they can handle smart analysis, should a network choose to provide it.

Those sentences need to be repeated, beaten if necessary, into the brains of every sports network executive, programming director, producer, anchor, ex-jock, etc., etc., etc.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#113 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:03 PM

Lead story on OTL and ATH (and probably PTI in a 1/2 hour) is the "blown call" during the Sox/Rays game. 

Somehow I think if it happened during an Astros/Royals game this wouldn't even have been mentioned.  Silly media.

#114 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

Lead story on OTL and ATH (and probably PTI in a 1/2 hour) is the "blown call" during the Sox/Rays game. 

Somehow I think if it happened during an Astros/Royals game this wouldn't even have been mentioned.  Silly media.

I see your point, but let's be honest, we're talking about a pennant race game versus a game that probably won't matter much at the end of the day (yes I know the Royals are making a comeback).

@levineps

#115 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

Yeah I do get that point.  Of course, if he was ruled safe it'd still just be a tie game and who knows who wins it in extras.

But most of the commentators I've heard today are going with the "it's just one game and doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things" mantra.  Heck even one of the guys on PTI said "C'mon, we're only talking about this because it's Boston."  Hahahaha.  Zing.

#116 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

ESPN's ratings dropped again.

http://deadspin.com/...n-too-967158007

@DJ_McCann

#117 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

One week until the launch of FS1.

Last I heard Fox still didn't have deals with a few cable companies (inc. DirecTv) for FS1.

Let's assume all of those get completed in time. FS1 definitely has the programming to go up against ESPN. It appears that they have the sports personalities/analysts to challenge them as well. I believe that where FS1 lands on each cable company's list of channels is going to determine if it is successful right now.

As an example, I have Comcast in Baltimore County. Here is the channel lineup for sports channels on regular programming:

2 NBC Sports

3 Golf

4 MASN

5 ESPN2

6 ESPN

7 Comcast Sports

8 Cooking Network

9 USA

Currently, FOX's Speed channel is on 55. (Same thing with DirecTv in Cincinnati. The ESPNs are all together with "normal" channels, but Speed is in the premium sports programming section.) I think for FS1 to be truly successful, it needs to be placed right next to the ESPNs. Will they be able to negotiate contracts with Comcast/DirecTv/Cox/Time-Warner/etc. to place FS1/FS2 next to ESPN? Are they going to even try?

#118 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

One week until the launch of FS1.

Last I heard Fox still didn't have deals with a few cable companies (inc. DirecTv) for FS1.

Let's assume all of those get completed in time. FS1 definitely has the programming to go up against ESPN. It appears that they have the sports personalities/analysts to challenge them as well. I believe that where FS1 lands on each cable company's list of channels is going to determine if it is successful right now.

As an example, I have Comcast in Baltimore County. Here is the channel lineup for sports channels on regular programming:
2 NBC Sports
3 Golf
4 MASN
5 ESPN2
6 ESPN
7 Comcast Sports
8 Cooking Network
9 USA

Currently, FOX's Speed channel is on 55. (Same thing with DirecTv in Cincinnati. The ESPNs are all together with "normal" channels, but Speed is in the premium sports programming section.) I think for FS1 to be truly successful, it needs to be placed right next to the ESPNs. Will they be able to negotiate contracts with Comcast/DirecTv/Cox/Time-Warner/etc. to place FS1/FS2 next to ESPN? Are they going to even try?

I remember fox sports from back in the day being grouped in the regular lineup.
@BSLMikeRandall

#119 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:11 PM

I remember fox sports from back in the day being grouped in the regular lineup.

That's because they were the "national" part of CSN.

@DJ_McCann

#120 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

So Whitlock is going back to ESPN.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users