• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

So Whitlock is going back to ESPN.

Yep...UGH!

http://www.thebiglea...return-to-espn/

He's one of the most thoughtful writers out there imo. Guess that's not your thing. ;)

#123 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

Well, maybe at a minimum, FS1 is forcing ESPN to be better. 

#124 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

@richarddeitsch: Via @JBFlint: Fox Sports 1 had landed deals with DirecTV, Dish and Time Warner Cable: http://t.co/g6NpjAvdhv
  • You Play to Win the Game and BobPhelan like this

#125 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:38 PM

@richarddeitsch: Via @JBFlint: Fox Sports 1 had landed deals with DirecTV, Dish and Time Warner Cable: http://t.co/g6NpjAvdhv

Nice. 

#126 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:30 PM

He's one of the most thoughtful writers out there imo. Guess that's not your thing. ;)

For you he is...for me, he will always be the guy that brings race up in everything he does. If he doesn't do that anymore, good for him but he did and I don't respect anyone that does stuff like that.

#127 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:36 PM

For you he is...for me, he will always be the guy that brings race up in everything he does. If he doesn't do that anymore, good for him but he did and I don't respect anyone that does stuff like that.

Well that's the type of perception someone would have that isn't that familiar with his work.

Also, race is a very interesting subject.

#128 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:52 PM

Well that's the type of perception someone would have that isn't that familiar with his work.Also, race is a very interesting subject.

It's not interesting when it has nothing to do with the topic at hand. It's just annoying at that point.
  • PD24 and JHTerp01 like this

#129 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:19 PM

That's nice....as a DTV sub I'm very curious to check it out. That said, I don't really agree with your earlier statement that they have the programming (as far as live sports goes) to really compete with ESPN for viewers at this point. But I certainly expect FS1 to make the bidding very competitive for the NBA and Big Ten in a couple years. Especially since those are really the only two major sports properties that will be up for grabs for quite some time, and there are a number of networks out there desiring content.

As for their other programming, I do think Fox has an opportunity to make things interesting if they choose to. It all starts with treating sports fans as knowledgeable human beings rather than mindless lemmings who just want to listen to the same arguments about Tim Tebow over and over, or where and with whom Johnny Manziel was partying last night.

#130 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:53 PM

I want to see Whitlock back on The Sports Reporters with the biggest shit-eating grin on his face while Lupica sits across from him smoldering.

@DJ_McCann

#131 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

Thank god.

#132 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

I want to see Whitlock back on The Sports Reporters with the biggest shit-eating grin on his face while Lupica sits across from him smoldering.

Lupica and Whitlock on the same show? Count me out.

#133 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

Lupica and Whitlock on the same show? Count me out.

Oh, it will be insufferable. Hopefully it would end with Lupica storming off the set vowing never to return, though. That would make it worthwhile, and Whitlock has more interesting things to say anyway.

@DJ_McCann

#134 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:22 PM

Awful Announcing: NBC's Jon Miller on the state of the NBC Sports Network
http://www.awfulanno...ts-network.html

#135 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:00 PM

Well that's the type of perception someone would have that isn't that familiar with his work.Also, race is a very interesting subject.

It's not interesting when it has nothing to do with the topic at hand. It's just annoying at that point.

It's almost always relevant to the topic when he goes that route.

#136 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:15 PM

Leitch: Fox Sports One's success (like ESPN's) depends on live sports

@DJ_McCann

#137 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:28 AM

So regardless of what you think of all the talent being brought in, it's clear that ESPN has made a move to get smarter. Combine these guys with Grantland, etc and they have an impressive collection of minds imo.

#138 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:50 AM

Leitch: Fox Sports One's success (like ESPN's) depends on live sports

Like the presidential elections, it all comes down to data. Specifically: Who has the games people want to watch?

Sums it up perfectly. Fox Sports 1 will be a distant second to ESPN in that department when it launches. I expect them to throw big money to get the NBA and the Big Ten when they come up for bidding. But ESPN, who has some rights to both of those currently, is unlikely to allow them to slip away. And TNT definitely does not want to let its NBA package go. Fox might only get a small piece of each, and it could cost them dearly to get it. But if you're an NBA fan or fan of a Big Ten team (Terps!) then this should make you pleased.....until you see the next cable bill, that is.

But like I said, FS1 should probably be second to ESPN on its launch, which at least puts them in the game. NBC seems perfectly content to stick to niche sports like NHL and EPL, plus the Olympics every two years. I bet a lot of people don't even know CBS has a cable sports network.....they aren't even trying.

#139 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:34 AM

Awful Announcing: NBC's Jon Miller on the state of the NBC Sports Network
http://www.awfulanno...ts-network.html

I could program NBC Sports Network better than NBC does. Miller states a primary issue is creating their own programming. They actually have the material to do so, already existing... it's frustrating that they don't realize that.

#140 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:52 PM

I could program NBC Sports Network better than NBC does. Miller states a primary issue is creating their own programming. They actually have the material to do so, already existing... it's frustrating that they don't realize that.

I watched a couple episodes of NFL Turning Point and was disappointed. It mostly hyped the next SNF game. I can understand NBC wanting to do that to a degree, but honestly I think they could do so much more with that show.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=