#81 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:16 PM

Scared isn't the word I would use. But the fact that they are bringing back Olbermann, after the acrimonious break up, to coincide with the launch of FS1 would indicate to me that they are very much on ESPN's radar.

That's a stretch... I don't think the two events are related to each other. ESPN has always operated with the mantra as no one is bigger than the network.. Given Olbermann's track record, I doubt they'll give him much leeway. I'm sure there's lots of moral clauses in his contract. He needs ESPN more than ESPN needs him. He's getting to the point where unemployable and he's not getting any younger.

@levineps

#82 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:34 PM

That's a stretch... I don't think the two events are related to each other. ESPN has always operated with the mantra as no one is bigger than the network.. Given Olbermann's track record, I doubt they'll give him much leeway. I'm sure there's lots of moral clauses in his contract. He needs ESPN more than ESPN needs him. He's getting to the point where unemployable and he's not getting any younger.

Then why bring him back at all? ESPN knows what he's all about. He's a lightning rod, and no matter what clauses might be in his contract he is going to push the envelop, and to a certain point that is exactly what ESPN wants just as Fox is rolling out it's new showpiece. I think to say they are entirely unrelated is naïve.

#83 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:39 PM

Then why bring him back at all? ESPN knows what he's all about. He's a lightning rod, and no matter what clauses might be in his contract he is going to push the envelop, and to a certain point that is exactly what ESPN wants just as Fox is rolling out it's new showpiece. I think to say they are entirely unrelated is naïve.

Because it's worth taking the risk. They will survive regardless of how KO does. This is the First Take of Late Night so to speak. I don't think they just said Fox is launching a network, we need to do something bold. I think you are reading too much into this.

@levineps

#84 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:04 PM

As I posted earlier, ESPN's ratings dropped recently at a rate that is difficult to explain away. FOX is coming into the market with many of the same sports ESPN covers, a nationwide set of FSNs to provide local support, and the worldwide clout (and money) of News Corp. This isn't just a rebranding like NBC with little behind them.

I don't know if "scared" is the right word, but I guarantee ESPN is keeping a close eye on FS1.

With Olbermann, I find it difficult to believe that they would get back into business with someone with whom there has been mutual enmity for fifteen-plus years, and in the mean time has become an extraordinarily polarizing personality, unless there was an outside factor involved. I've already seen references to "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" with this deal.

@DJ_McCann

#85 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

As I posted earlier, ESPN's ratings dropped recently at a rate that is difficult to explain away. FOX is coming into the market with many of the same sports ESPN covers, a nationwide set of FSNs to provide local support, and the worldwide clout (and money) of News Corp. This isn't just a rebranding like NBC with little behind them.

I don't know if "scared" is the right word, but I guarantee ESPN is keeping a close eye on FS1.

With Olbermann, I find it difficult to believe that they would get back into business with someone with whom there has been mutual enmity for fifteen-plus years, and in the mean time has become an extraordinarily polarizing personality, unless there was an outside factor involved. I've already seen references to "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" with this deal.

Of course they are, you always pay attention to your competition. I just don't think they view FS1 as much of a threat.

@levineps

#86 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

Of course they are, you always pay attention to your competition. I just don't think they view FS1 as much of a threat.

Again, because of what FS1 brings with them compared to other past competitors, I think they do. And I think that's the smart way to look at it.

@DJ_McCann

#87 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

Again, because of what FS1 brings with them compared to other past competitors, I think they do. And I think that's the smart way to look at it.

Or your way of looking at it ^_^

@levineps

#88 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:27 PM

Or your way of looking at it ^_^

Well, duh ;)

Like I said, though, FS1 is different than NBCSN, or CNNSI, or any other attempt at an all-sports channel. They have access through direct coverage of the NFL and MLB and NASCAR, they will have the World Cup in a few years, they have all sorts of college football and basketball coverage. They have established local coverage nationwide. They have Rupert Murdoch's money and world-wide reach.

They may only have (at best) a 50/50 shot at long-term success, which doesn't include the remote chance of actually taking over from ESPN as the "default" sports network. But that's still much more than anyone else, and I see ESPN actively fighting them instead of standing aloof like in the past: Olbermann is just the most-recent and -visible step.

@DJ_McCann

#89 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

Well, duh ;)

Like I said, though, FS1 is different than NBCSN, or CNNSI, or any other attempt at an all-sports channel. They have access through direct coverage of the NFL and MLB and NASCAR, they will have the World Cup in a few years, they have all sorts of college football and basketball coverage. They have established local coverage nationwide. They have Rupert Murdoch's money and world-wide reach.

They may only have (at best) a 50/50 shot at long-term success, which doesn't include the remote chance of actually taking over from ESPN as the "default" sports network. But that's still much more than anyone else, and I see ESPN actively fighting them instead of standing aloof like in the past: Olbermann is just the most-recent and -visible step.

That's pretty much how I look at it and they are going to need to get more properties.

I don't look at the Olbermann hire as much of a gamble, if it works great, if not ESPN will survive like they have before. What other moves have they made?

@levineps

#90 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

That's pretty much how I look at it and they are going to need to get more properties.

I don't look at the Olbermann hire as much of a gamble, if it works great, if not ESPN will survive like they have before. What other moves have they made?

Not public moves. Although they did just go through and fire a LOT of people to replace with cheaper talent; that could be seen as an attempt to both get younger and fight through an onslaught from new competition.

I don't know if FOX needs more properties specifically. The only major sport ESPN has that FOX doesn't is the NBA, and I would not be surprised at all if FOX makes a bid the next time around. They also have NASCAR, which balances that out at least somewhat.

@DJ_McCann

#91 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:05 PM

Can Jason Whitlock Save Sports Broadcasting?

@DJ_McCann

#92 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:25 PM

I'll check it out. Whitlock is always interesting, and in a much more thoughtful way than most talk radio/debate show guys are.

#93 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:38 AM

That sounds like a great concept... I'm excited to see how it goes.

I just can't envision the general population buying into an actual thought provoking program though. It's like an Sports Show version of an Indie-Flick. It will have a small, faithful following. But who knows. If they're going to fill a time slot that would struggle otherwise, with something of quality content like this, you'd have to applaud them for that. 

#94 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:21 AM

Can Jason Whitlock Save Sports Broadcasting?

Interviews and panel discussions? How will this be any different than First Take? They'll interview someone, then switch to the panel for debate. Sounds like First Take to me.

They think they can be proactive with getting into a shouting match? That's what a debate panel does. You try to make a point, someone makes a rebuttal, then the guys try talking over each other and voices get rasied. Its just human.

Its a nice idea, I just don't think its realistic. When people want to make their point inside a time constraint, it becomes a shouting match. Even if it is respected people and not two bumbling morons. Its only a matter of time until one member of the panal stands out and becomes a regular on the show by being controversial. "What will he say next" mentality.
@BSLMikeRandall

#95 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

If FS1 wants to crush SC, then it would run strictly highlights with limited opinion based content all morning. Be what SC was 10 -15 years ago. People want to see highlights. Show me what I missed.
@BSLMikeRandall

#96 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

Interviews and panel discussions? How will this be any different than First Take? They'll interview someone, then switch to the panel for debate. Sounds like First Take to me.

They think they can be proactive with getting into a shouting match? That's what a debate panel does. You try to make a point, someone makes a rebuttal, then the guys try talking over each other and voices get rasied. Its just human.

Its a nice idea, I just don't think its realistic. When people want to make their point inside a time constraint, it becomes a shouting match. Even if it is respected people and not two bumbling morons. Its only a matter of time until one member of the panal stands out and becomes a regular on the show by being controversial. "What will he say next" mentality.

Have you ever listened to NPR?

Shouting and contentious disagreement is not a given with debate or panel discussions.

I don't think the show would be anything at all like First Take because of the host and the stated mission. Skip is a huge troll. Whitlock is a thoughtful guy who thinks stuff like First Take is garbage.

I also think he'll be talking by himself a fair amount.

Oh, and with all that said, sure, I can see it getting heated occasionally. I just don't envision First Take.

#97 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:42 PM

If FS1 wants to crush SC, then it would run strictly highlights with limited opinion based content all morning. Be what SC was 10 -15 years ago. People want to see highlights. Show me what I missed.

If that's what people want, it's not hard to come by. SC and ESPNEWS are on all morning and the sport specific networks show some highlights too. I think you pretty much have to actively avoid seeing highlights to end up missing them. Especially when factoring in the internet.

#98 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

Have you ever listened to NPR?

Shouting and contentious disagreement is not a given with debate or panel discussions.

I don't think the show would be anything at all like First Take because of the host and the stated mission. Skip is a huge troll. Whitlock is a thoughtful guy who thinks stuff like First Take is garbage.

I also think he'll be talking by himself a fair amount.

Oh, and with all that said, sure, I can see it getting heated occasionally. I just don't envision First Take.

Never listened to NPR.

Missions do change. Around the horn was supposed to be a show that invited numerous writers from all over the country to talk about the teams they represented. Usually picking writers of teams in high profile matchups that day or week. For example, Super Bowl week they would have had Aaron Wilson on and someone from San Fran.

That idea didn't last long at all when they found four very aggressive personalities from different major cities and just kept them on all the time. With the occasional fill in.

Debate used to only be a small part of First Take and the debaters were different every day. Now its the entire show and its the same two egotistical trolls.

MLB network is going the route of debate TV as well.

I'm not going to write off Whitlocks show. I'll definitely give it a chance because i wanna see more great sports talk. But the trend is, and somehow the ratings must be pointing in the direction that heated debate is what people want to see.

I guess a lot of people out there want to watch amd wait for that moment that someone outspoken like Skip says something dumb so they can blast them on twitter and feel better about themselves.
@BSLMikeRandall

#99 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

To me, it seems most similar to a "Sports Reporter's" or "Outside The Lines" type program based on the mission and conviction Whitlock seems to have on a lot of issues. But without ESPN there to ruin even those programs (which by and large, do a very good job of talking about the right things), this could really be one of the better shows out there, if done correctly, and if FS1 sticks with it, despite the very strong possibility of poor ratings, especially initially.

#100 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

To me, it seems most similar to a "Sports Reporter's" or "Outside The Lines" type program based on the mission and conviction Whitlock seems to have on a lot of issues. But without ESPN there to ruin even those programs (which by and large, do a very good job of talking about the right things), this could really be one of the better shows out there, if done correctly, and if FS1 sticks with it, despite the very strong possibility of poor ratings, especially initially.

Agreed. It's not that hard to have a show that's far from First Take, even ESPN had examples. So I'm optimistic here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=