353 replies to this topic

#161 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:00 AM

I like playing this game. No coincidence, without Betemit at 3b we get no hit Monday and don't score tonight, or the series.

With Nick Johnson at 1B last night, the Orioles had somebody on base for Betemit's HR, and Johnson singled again in the 9th to represent the eventual tying run.

Had Reynolds been at 1B, Johnson wouldn't be in the lineup.

#162 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:31 AM

With Nick Johnson at 1B last night, the Orioles had somebody on base for Betemit's HR, and Johnson singled again in the 9th to represent the eventual tying run.

Had Reynolds been at 1B, Johnson wouldn't be in the lineup.

That doesnt mean Reynolds wouldn't have had a big game though.

#163 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:47 AM

I've been trumpeting this elsewhere, but yeah, Nick Johnson needs to play more. He now has a .429 OBP in June. Of course that is pretty much meaningless considering he's had a whopping 14 PAs. But the fact is he's been one of our best hitters since the awful start, and he's in the line-up less than guys like Tolleson and Flaherty.

I understand the roster crunch with Reynolds no longer playing 3B, but Buck has to find a way to get Johnson in the lineup more often.

#164 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,635 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:54 AM

I've been trumpeting this elsewhere, but yeah, Nick Johnson needs to play more. He now has a .429 OBP in June. Of course that is pretty much meaningless considering he's had a whopping 14 PAs. But the fact is he's been one of our best hitters since the awful start, and he's in the line-up less than guys like Tolleson and Flaherty.

I understand the roster crunch with Reynolds no longer playing 3B, but Buck has to find a way to get Johnson in the lineup more often.

The problem is that Johnson plays the same position as Reynolds and Davis, and even with his solid numbers since his 0-fer start, I don't want him taking away regular playing time from either guy (especially Davis).

I didn't get a chance to watch much of the games with Davis in RF, but if he is a short-term option out there, then getting all 3 in the lineup at the same time while Nick remains on the DL seems like it's something they should do every so often. I think it's highly probable that Pearce/Flaherty in LF, Davis in RF, Reynolds at 1B, Johnson at DH, and Tolleson/Andino/Betemit at 3B is a better alignment considering both offense and defense than Flaherty in LF, Pearce in RF, Davis at 1B, Johnson at DH, and Reynolds at 3B.

#165 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,609 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:29 AM

Yeah, Davis in RF is a temporary solution to this problem and I'd advocate it.

#166 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:51 PM

The problem is that Johnson plays the same position as Reynolds and Davis, and even with his solid numbers since his 0-fer start, I don't want him taking away regular playing time from either guy (especially Davis).

I didn't get a chance to watch much of the games with Davis in RF, but if he is a short-term option out there, then getting all 3 in the lineup at the same time while Nick remains on the DL seems like it's something they should do every so often. I think it's highly probable that Pearce/Flaherty in LF, Davis in RF, Reynolds at 1B, Johnson at DH, and Tolleson/Andino/Betemit at 3B is a better alignment considering both offense and defense than Flaherty in LF, Pearce in RF, Davis at 1B, Johnson at DH, and Reynolds at 3B.

I am fine with trying Davis in the OF as a temporary solution for the time being to see if it helps with the offense. I haven't seen enough of Davis in the OF to see how much he hurts the defense. I mean I would also like to see N. Johnson in the lineup more often but the issue is on DD and Buck for having 4 1B/DH on the roster. Point blank, none of Johnson, Betemit, Davis, or Reynolds should be playing any position but 1B/DH. Johnson is the one getting caught in the numbers crunch. As we've discussed on multiple occasions it's simply poor roster management on Buck and DD's part.

#167 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:42 PM

2 errors for Reynolds tonight. Davis is also 0-21 in RF. His bat is now ice cold after being put out there full time.

It should be pretty clear the best defensive and offensive alignment for the Orioles is Johnson at 1B, Davis at DH and Reynolds in the OF.

#168 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 159,461 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

Reynolds made a nice play on a foul pop-up in the 4th tonight.

#169 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:09 PM

Reynolds currently has a 340 OBP, which is a 127 point difference from his BA.

#170 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,609 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

Reynolds currently has a 340 OBP, which is a 127 point difference from his BA.

He's been rather productive with the bat after that horrible start. He should also probably be batting 2nd imo.

The problem, though remains his defense. Really cost the O's tonight.

#171 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:20 PM

Here is the problem we have with Reynolds. He is a DH and I'm fine with him as a DH. I would take him back here next year as our DH. The problem is we can't pay him 11 mil to DH, nor can we offer him arbitration and pay him 8 mil to DH. So yeah, I agree he'll be a value for some American League club next year or even a NL club that might need a 1B but that will be because they'll be able to pay him what he is worth. Somewhere in the 2-4 mil a year range.

#172 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,444 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:22 PM

At some point dont you have to make him DH? Who knows how this game goes without that error, maybe Tillman gets himself together and hangs around?
@JeremyMStrain

#173 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:23 PM

Here is the problem we have with Reynolds. He is a DH and I'm fine with him as a DH. I would take him back here next year as our DH. The problem is we can't pay him 11 mil to DH, nor can we offer him arbitration and pay him 8 mil to DH. So yeah, I agree he'll be a value for some American League club next year or even a NL club that might need a 1B but that will be because they'll be able to pay him what he is worth. Somewhere in the 2-4 mil a year range.

He will be a huge bargain for some team next year.

#174 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:24 PM

At some point dont you have to make him DH? Who knows how this game goes without that error, maybe Tillman gets himself together and hangs around?

I wonder if he has told Buck that he can't hanle DHing? No reason not to have Davis over at first.

#175 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

I'll just go on record as saying as far back as last July that he should never have a glove on his hand. I continued that stance through the offseason even though we all heard about the weight loss, etc. Yes, he's a DH. Plain and simple. If we would actually wise up and just let him hit he would be so much more valuable because IMO no matter where you put him on defense he is going to be a - WAR player. Of course there is also the issue that he is one of these guys who feels like he needs to play defense, that not doing it effects his ability to hit.

I promise you this, he is not a Buck "nugget" and I see almost no possibility that he is back here next year. I'll never say never but tit would shock me if he returns.

#176 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:28 PM

I wonder if he has told Buck that he can't hanle DHing? No reason not to have Davis over at first.

Yes, he has said that. I remember Thorne talking about it before saying that Reynolds has made it known he is not comfortable DHing.

#177 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 159,461 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:24 PM

Reynolds is 7 for 30, with 4 doubles, and 1 hr so far in August. He's had 7 bb's, vs. 11 k's in this stretch.

Like Hardy, it is important for him to produce during the remainder of the season.

#178 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 159,461 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:21 PM

Through 6 innings tonight, Reynolds is 2 for 3, with 2 homers, and 4 rbi's.

#179 dpsmith22

dpsmith22
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:44 AM

Even you Reynolds haters have to admit, that if he stays hot, he can carry us to the playoffs. I believe his defensive is not great but its better than the current alternatives for certain.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@dpsmith22

#180 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

Even you Reynolds haters have to admit, that if he stays hot, he can carry us to the playoffs. I believe his defensive is not great but its better than the current alternatives for certain.

I'm satisfied with his defense at 1B.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=