#21 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

Hoping to lose this one by single digits.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#22 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

Weird feeling that this team plays their best game of the year this Sat(well it'll be hard to top Wake but you get the point). It feels like one of those "give it everything you got" games. I think they bring it Saturday.

#23 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

Weird feeling that this team plays their best game of the year this Sat(well it'll be hard to top Wake but you get the point). It feels like one of those "give it everything you got" games. I think they bring it Saturday.

Considering the week off and that this could easily be sold by Turgeon as a damn near necessity to get into the tournament, I agree that they'll come out with big time energy. Hopefully they can manage to keep that energy while not having it force them into the stupid mistakes they are so frequently making. If they keep things tight over the first half, I think they would have a shot in the 2nd. They just absolutely cannot have one of those long stretches without scoring. If they go 4 minutes without a basket at any point in this game then they will lose.

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

Considering the week off and that this could easily be sold by Turgeon as a damn near necessity to get into the tournament, I agree that they'll come out with big time energy. Hopefully they can manage to keep that energy while not having it force them into the stupid mistakes they are so frequently making. If they keep things tight over the first half, I think they would have a shot in the 2nd. They just absolutely cannot have one of those long stretches without scoring. If they go 4 minutes without a basket at any point in this game then they will lose.

Yeah, this is their Super Bowl. I think the Terps pull off the upset. There's also the angle that this could be the last time Duke plays in Comcast in quite a long time... Could be, not sure if it WILL be, but I think there's a good chance it will be. Not that Turge uses that, but I hope the crowd gives Duke hell one last time.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#25 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

Lunardi has 5 ACC teams in the tourney right now. Duke and Miami as 1 seeds, NC State as a 7, and UNC and Virginia as 11s. Even with a loss vs Duke, they can get in IMO by winning out with wins over UNC and UVA, maybe placing Maryland up to 4th in the ACC.

Then again, Washington won the PAC 10 regular season last year and didn't make the tourney. So who knows.

Unfortunately, given the way this team plays, even with a shock the world win against Duke, I think there are still at least 2 or 3 more losses. UVA seems to have our number. UNC, i'll give the edge to their coach over ours in a must win situation for them. Another loss being a let down to Clemson, Ga Tech, or Wake.

If they win out they can get in the dance, but being real, no way it happens.
@BSLMikeRandall

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

Unfortunately, given the way this team plays, even with a shock the world win against Duke, I think there are still at least 2 or 3 more losses.

I also feel this way. Win or lose tonight, I just don't see the team winning out. They don't seem to score consistently enough or protect the ball well enough to get on that type of a hot streak. Obviously I'm still gonna be pulling for every win, and I think every game beyond Saturday's is one I do think they could if not should win, but this just doesn't strike me as a team built to sustain a high level of play for several weeks.

#27 EricGarland

EricGarland

Terps Analyst

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

Guys,

I was recently a guest on a campus radio show, talking all things Terps. Talked about the disappointing season so far and a look ahead to Duke. The show is called Red Shell Radio, and the link to the episode can be found here:

http://www.redshellr... ... liers.html

Feel free to post your thoughts here.

Eric

#28 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

Hoping to lose this one by single digits.

Not sure how a moral victory helps besides NIT seeding?
@levineps

#29 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

I think Maryland will play well tomorrow. Just do not see them have the ball handlers to overcome the on ball pressure Duke brings.
I can not wait for Roddy Peters. The lack of a PG is really showing this season.
@mikeghg

#30 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

I also feel this way. Win or lose tonight, I just don't see the team winning out. They don't seem to score consistently enough or protect the ball well enough to get on that type of a hot streak. Obviously I'm still gonna be pulling for every win, and I think every game beyond Saturday's is one I do think they could if not should win, but this just doesn't strike me as a team built to sustain a high level of play for several weeks.

I tend to agree and after watching the Terps all year, I really do not see there struggles as underachieving but one that is hurt by their limitations. You win in the NCAA with guards and exp. Maryland is very young and just does not have an ACC caliber point. I think Allen may develop but for every good play comes a bad and in the ACC that is not good enough.
Also expierience is a real problem. I look at Miami's veteran team and see how Maryland could develop that is a year or two. Patience!!!
@mikeghg

#31 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

Unfortunately I'll be out of town tomorrow and won't be home until late so I won't get to see the game live. I'm hoping to stay disconnected from the world until Sunday morning so I can watch the game on the DVR.
@BSLZackKiesel

#32 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

For those of you going, what is the MD/Duke pre-game experience like? Do you go to a house nearby, or a bar to pre-game and get your drink on? Do you, or does anybody tailgate for this one? What's the scene like?

#33 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

MD has been off a week...Duke coming off an emotional game. Turg has been in these kids ears all week about how this is there season, etc...

MD has a chance tonight. They will ride emotion early...the question will be how long can they sustain it.

#34 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

MD has been off a week...Duke coming off an emotional game. Turg has been in these kids ears all week about how this is there season, etc...

MD has a chance tonight. They will ride emotion early...the question will be how long can they sustain it.

That's one question. The bigger one is does Len nut up and control Plumlee this time?

#35 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

That's one question. The bigger one is does Len nut up and control Plumlee this time?

He doesn't even have to control him...but it would be a huge help if he can cancel him out.

Duke has had issues with some big, strong, wide bodies this year...Mitchell should get a lot of playing time tonight.

#36 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

Layman and Len with fast starts
@mikeghg

#37 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

The Duke uniform fronts are ugly. D5, D21. looks like a Bingo card
@mikeghg

#38 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

At the 6 minute mark the refs decide to stop the physical play while Maryland is playing D.
@mikeghg

#39 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

Cleare, Layman, Aronhalt Faust and Padgett on floor at 5 minute mark. Dangerous time where does the offense come from.
@mikeghg

#40 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

Solid half by Maryland, despite foul trouble on Wells and Len.

Seth Curry is damn good. He is carrying Duke.

Maryland 35-34
@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=