#1 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

I think Maryland has a chance in this one, but don't like the odds.

I saw that the University of Maryland Athletics Facebook page made a sportsmanship post today. No surprise about the timing there. :lol:

It included this video:

KvdSLDKtEHc

Anyone going to the game?

#2 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

I will be there! Can't wait. Been a while since I was at MD for a Duke game.

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,999 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

I'll be there.

Basically a must-win for the Terps to get to the NCAAs, unless they decide they wanna go out and win the ACC tournament. Even if they run the table after this, unless they have a signature win, I don't know if 11-7 would cut it. Though to be fair, that's the record I was expecting it would take for the team to go dancing at the start of the season, so perhaps it would still be sufficient even without any marquee wins.

Even with a loss you can't completely write them off, but if they get a win it would go a long, long way towards having a shot at dancing.

I'm not even remotely optimistic about their chances of winning this game, though. Hopefully they can pull off a stunner. The atmosphere will definitely be rocking at the start of the game. If they play well and keep that energy level high, things could get interesting down the stretch.

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

I'll be there.

Basically a must-win for the Terps to get to the NCAAs, unless they decide they wanna go out and win the ACC tournament. Even if they run the table after this, unless they have a signature win, I don't know if 11-7 would cut it. Though to be fair, that's the record I was expecting it would take for the team to go dancing at the start of the season, so perhaps it would still be sufficient even without any marquee wins.

Even with a loss you can't completely write them off, but if they get a win it would go a long, long way towards having a shot at dancing.

I'm not even remotely optimistic about their chances of winning this game, though. Hopefully they can pull off a stunner. The atmosphere will definitely be rocking at the start of the game. If they play well and keep that energy level high, things could get interesting down the stretch.

They should beat Duke pretty well on the boards, especially with Kelly still out.

That's where they need to take advantage.

They should also attack Plumlee with all of their bigs(and drives to the hoop) and try and get him into foul trouble.

#5 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

I will be there! Can't wait. Been a while since I was at MD for a Duke game.

Likely the last one, I'll bet the ACC doesn't make Maryland's schedule easy next year.
@levineps

#6 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Likely the last one, I'll bet the ACC doesn't make Maryland's schedule easy next year.

It's all good - I'd love our last Duke win in the ACC to come at Cameron.

#7 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

I'll be there.

Lundardi has them in the "next four out," so I don't think it's a must-win. I think they could afford to lose one more and still get in. It's a very important game, don't get me wrong, but the season isn't "over" if they lose IMO.
@levineps

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

I already noted this in the another thread, Lundardi has them in the "next four out," so I don't think it's a must-win. I think they could afford to lose one more and still get in. It's a very important game, don't get me wrong, but the season isn't "over" if they lose IMO.

Wasn't that the case BEFORE the UVA loss? I'd think we'd be outside of even the last 4 out at this juncture.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that outside of an ACC Tournament Finals appearance, MD isn't dancing unless they win Saturday.

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,999 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

Lundardi has them in the "next four out," so I don't think it's a must-win. I think they could afford to lose one more and still get in. It's a very important game, don't get me wrong, but the season isn't "over" if they lose IMO.

Wasn't that before the UVA loss?

Also, I said that they can't be completely written off even with a loss.

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,999 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

I'll go out on a limb here and say that outside of an ACC Tournamen Finals appearance, MD isn't dancing unless they win Saturday.

I agree with this.

#11 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

Wasn't that before the UVA loss?

Also, I said that they can't be completely written off even with a loss.

No they were first four out before UVA. The bubble is so evolving and so hard to keep track of all the different teams. They just need to win as much as they can to get in. They can't afford any losses. I think beating Duke and losing two games would get them in though.
@levineps

#12 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

Gotcha - Didn't realize he did a "Next Four Out" in addition to the First 4... http://espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,999 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

How many teams from what should be 1-bid conferences are there that would get an at large bid if they fall in their conference tournament?

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

How many teams from what should be 1-bid conferences are there that would get an at large bid if they fall in their conference tournament?

Really good question, with how evolving it is, I don't even want to worry about it until March. They have enough to do on their own before it gets that far.
@levineps

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

I think the WCC is just a one bid league this year, so if the Zags get upset in the tourney, they steal one.

The Missouri Valley will have Creighton and Wich St in...need one of them to win the league.

Those are 2 off the top of my head.

With Butler and VCU now in the A10, that hurts their previous conferences for getting multiple bids.

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

Duke has dominated this series over the past 6-7 years. Something like 12 of 13?

Turgeon has yet to win against UNC, or Duke. (Of course after next year they won't play, unless it's the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.)

Duke has to spend a couple of days preparing for UNC, and actually playing that game.
MD gets the benefit of being at home, and having had additional time to prep solely for Duke.

It will be amazing how different things will look overall, if MD springs the upset.

#17 mdak06

mdak06
  • Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationBethany Beach, DE

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

I'm not convinced at this point that the Terps can make the tournament without either (1) a win against Duke, or (2) a bunch of wins in the ACC tournament (i.e. making it to the final). Right now the Terps don't have any high-profile wins, and there are probably numerous other teams that have a bit better resume than Maryland as far as getting an at-large bid.

After Duke, there are six games remaining, but four of them are on the road. It's going to be tough for the Terps to win games, as the home team has done very well this year in the ACC (even BC nearly upset Duke in Boston). It won't be an easy end to the season for Maryland. They really need to get it together.

#18 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,616 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

I'll be there. Pretty excited.

Hey Mackus, where's that great place to park again? I don't want to miss the first half this time.

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,999 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

I'll be there. Pretty excited.

Hey Mackus, where's that great place to park again? I don't want to miss the first half this time.

Any of the avenues off of Metzerott. 38th is the closest. You can avoid Rt 1 completely if you take 495 to 650 to Adelphi to Metzerott.

#20 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,616 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

Any of the avenues off of Metzerott. 38th is the closest. You can avoid Rt 1 completely if you take 495 to 650 to Adelphi to Metzerott.

Appreciate it man.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=