153 replies to this topic

#21 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:59 AM

Clearly struggling with the bat. Gonna have to start laying off and or hitting the off speed stuff to be a decent 2b.

That said, he is a good glove at 2b. Better than most O's fans  give him credit.

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

Flaherty entered today with a .490 OPS in 137 ab's.

#23 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:53 AM

48 pitchers had at least 50 plate appearances last season.  8 of them had higher OPS than Ryan Flaherty does this season.

45 pitchers have at least 25 plate appearances this season and 10 of them have a higher OPS than Flaherty does.

The total pitcher OPS this season is 337, which is 139 OPS points lower than Flaherty's 476, which is 251 points lower than the AL average OPS of 727.  Flaherty is much closer to the average pitcher's OPS than he is to the avergage hitter's OPS.

Luis Hernandez has a career .580 OPS in 292 PAs, an OPS+ of 55.  Ryan Flaherty has a career .549 OPS in 324 PAs, an OPS+ of 49.

• Adam Wolff, You Play to Win the Game and Matt like this

#24 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:37 AM

Yeah, he's really bad. The other options aren't good, but damn is he bad.

@AdamWolff

#25 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

Yeah, yeah, yeah... Mackus and his numbers and all that... Maybe Flaherty is just John Smoltz... of hitters. :lol:

#26 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:27 AM

I mean, it really is just down right crazy how horrible he's been at the plate. I was in his camp in the off-season, so there's an "I was wrong" for ya, which is just stupid of me. There was really nothing to suggest he'd turn it around, other than his last several AB's in September/October. Just a couple solid weeks really. I guess I trusted that if Buck fought so hard to keep him on the roster all year, they really saw things they liked and believed in. But he's been just absolutely awful at the plate, so it's time to move on. At this point, I'm firmly in the "start Casilla" camp, even despite his stupid play the other night.

#27 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:11 AM

Over his last 5 games, Flaherty is 8-19 for 3 homeruns. Almost got that average above the Mendoza line.

@AdamWolff

#28 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:16 AM

At the rate he's going he will pass Wieters and no longer be the worst hitter in the lineup.

• Adam Wolff likes this

#29 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:23 PM

Another multi hit game for Flaherty..

@AdamWolff

#30 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

BSL: In Flaherty We (Should) Trust
http://baltimorespor...e-should-trust/

I take a look at Flaherty's recent performance and wonder if he shouldn't just remain the starter at second over Roberts.

• BSLChrisStoner, Adam Wolff and JeffLong like this

#31 dandrews

dandrews
  • Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:13 PM

2 awful months to 1 good one. He should stay the starter now while he's hot, but I don't trust him for the future. 

@dandrews66

#32 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

I feel like that first paragraph was dedicated to me

@JeffLongBP

#33 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

I feel like that first paragraph was dedicated to me

Yes, and pretend I am singing it to you acapella style.

#34 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:52 PM

Seriously though, I hinted at a lot of this stuff in my post when Roberts started rehab.

Glad to see a deeper post looking into his performance

@JeffLongBP

#35 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:17 PM

Yes, and pretend I am singing it to you acapella style.

Could totally picture you singing acapella with a sock-puppet on your hand.

@JeremyMStrain

#36 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,342 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

Alright guys you're the experts on this: Will Jonathan Schoop be ready to be the everyday guy at 2B in 2014? Obviously he's the future at the position. But if Flaherty can keep this up, he could be good trade bait.

@BSLZackKiesel

#37 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

Alright guys you're the experts on this: Will Jonathan Schoop be ready to be the everyday guy at 2B in 2014? Obviously he's the future at the position. But if Flaherty can keep this up, he could be good trade bait.

Nope. If he had stayed healthy and excelled all year MAYBE, but with missing most of the season I think he's still got too much work to do to come back from that on top of developing to start the season next year. He's also going to be a step down defensively from any of those guys so you have to take that into consideration. He's not some 30 HR bat like some people want to project, 20 maybe if everything breaks right, but more likely a 10-20 guy, and then you have to weigh the boost in offense (.280-20hr top end I think) against the drop off defensively (don't think he's terrible there, just not as good as guys playing so far).

• LanceRinker likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#38 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

Like Jeremy said, because of the injury I'd agree that there really isn't much of a chance of him being ready to be our everyday second baseman in 2014. 

#39 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,342 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:49 PM

Nope. If he had stayed healthy and excelled all year MAYBE, but with missing most of the season I think he's still got too much work to do to come back from that on top of developing to start the season next year. He's also going to be a step down defensively from any of those guys so you have to take that into consideration. He's not some 30 HR bat like some people want to project, 20 maybe if everything breaks right, but more likely a 10-20 guy, and then you have to weigh the boost in offense (.280-20hr top end I think) against the drop off defensively (don't think he's terrible there, just not as good as guys playing so far).

Like Jeremy said, because of the injury I'd agree that there really isn't much of a chance of him being ready to be our everyday second baseman in 2014. 

Thanks, guys. I figured the injury would have something to do with it.

@BSLZackKiesel

#40 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:07 PM

In his first 13 games this month, he was 8-43(.186 BA) with 2 walks, 2 doubles and no homers.

In his last 8 games, he is 14-29, with 4 homers, 1 walk and zero doubles...he has 4 straight multi hit games and 6 out of 8.

It's a very nice hot stretch but it has been 8 games. His OPS was still below 500 as of June 19.

I think we need to throttle back on the enthusiasm a bit until he can show anything over a longer period of time.

He has been awful for most of the year. That being said, I have no issue with DHing BRob and playing him at second base right now, since his bat is hot.
  • Cisc-O's likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=