• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#161 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 08:39 AM

The Ringer: More Packers Playoff Sadness Puts Aaron Rodgers’s Uncertain Future Into Focus

#162 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 10:55 AM

If the Packers are going to try and make another run at a Super Bowl, they're going to have to make some very aggressive moves in order to get their salary cap situation in order for 2022. Multiple veterans are either going to have accept pay cuts or face being cut to create space. Rodgers, whose cap number is currently $46.1 million for next season, will likely need to sign a contract which clears cap space. Others, including Za'Darius Smith, may be cap casualties if their deals can't be restructured (Smith's cap number is $28.1 million next season). And that doesn't include a new deal for Davante Adams, who only wants to be the game's highest-paid receiver. 

Green Bay has been all-in the past few seasons, so much so that they deferred some $50 million in cap commitments from 2021 to next season and beyond. They're pushed to the limit, and now the bill is starting to come due.

#163 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,100 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 10:55 PM

Its probably best if Rodgers and GB split. Especially if GB can get great compensation back in return for him. I just fear him going to Pitt so I hope he does stay in GB

#164 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 11:51 PM

Its probably best if Rodgers and GB split. Especially of GB can get great compensation back in return for him. I just fear him going to Pitt so I hope he does stay in GB

Maybe, but maybe not. There's talk of Rodgers perhaps wanting to go to a West Coast team, most likely San Fran if they let Jimmy G. walk. The NFC West was arguably the toughest division in football this year, so the road to the Super Bowl wouldn't get any easier. Denver has been mentioned as a potential landing spot, but then Rodgers would have to go against Mahomes and Justin Herbert twice a year.

The big advantage to staying in the NFC North is that, other than Green Bay, it largely sucks. Even if the Packers do have to make some serious personnel changes, they're likely to stay a step ahead of anyone else in that division. 

Should the Packers trade Rodgers, they'd save some $19 million in cap space for 2022, but they'll also take a dead cap hit of $26.8 million. I'd also guess that if Green Bay were amenable to trading Rodgers, they'd likely want a king's ransom for him. If the asking price starts with multiple first-rounders. how many teams are going to be willing to sacrifice that much draft capital for a 39-year-old?

#165 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 January 2022 - 11:59 PM

I can’t imagine Trey Lance not being the starter next year given the cost they paid to acquire him. Shanahan remains encouraged at his upside, and he’s been working with him all year.

But If Seattle and Russ split, that could be a destination. I don’t believe it’s feasible for the Rams to cut Stafford after this season, in fact, given their cap issues, it probably makes more sense to extend him. The Chargers and Herbert are set. Denver isn’t west coast, but could be Rodgers vibe.

#166 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 12:08 AM

I can’t imagine Trey Lance not being the starter next year given the cost they paid to acquire him. Shanahan remains encouraged at his upside, and he’s been working with him all year.

But If Seattle and Russ split, that could be a destination. I don’t believe it’s feasible for the Rams to cut Stafford after this season, in fact, given their cap issues, it probably makes more sense to extend him. The Chargers and Herbert are set. Denver isn’t west coast, but could be Rodgers vibe.

The Rams could actually dump the last year of Stafford's contract with no cap consequences since there are no remaining guarantees. If he stays in L.A. his cap number is $23 million next season. The trouble for the Rams is their draft situation; by the time they actually pick again in the first round, most of the guys currently on the roster will likely be dead. 

#167 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 January 2022 - 12:09 AM

The Rams could actually dump the last year of Stafford's contract with no cap consequences since there are no remaining guarantees. If he stays in L.A. his cap number is $23 million next season. The trouble for the Rams is their draft situation; by the time they actually pick again in the first round, most of the guys currently on the roster will likely be dead.

McVeigh is star hungry enough to get Rodgers, I could see that if they could work it out financially.

#168 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 12:15 AM

McVeigh is star hungry enough to get Rodgers, I could see that if they could work it out financially.

You may be right, but I just don't see how the Rams can come up with the requisite draft capital to try and land him. The Packers are almost certain to want multiple first-rounders and that's something the Rams simply don't have.

#169 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,100 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 12:22 AM

Philly has the draft capital. I think Rodgers kinda needs a bigger town like Philly. Dont know what their cap situation looks like though.

#170 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,100 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 12:24 AM

Rams will stick with Stafford. Lance has to be given the shot in SF right? I guess Lance to headline a deal could work for GB but man youre given up a talented ypung prospect for maybe 2 or 3 yrs with Rodgers.

#171 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 04:36 PM

#172 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 07 March 2022 - 09:13 AM

CBS Sports: Aaron Rodgers rumors: Potential Broncos, Steelers, Titans trade offers for star Packers QB

https://www.cbssport...tar-packers-qb/

#173 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 07 March 2022 - 06:07 PM

#174 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 11:46 AM

Rogers and the Packers agree to a 4 year deal for $200 million.  Rogers becomes the first $50 million player.

https://www.cbssport...=SPM-16-10abi8e'

#175 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 March 2022 - 12:03 PM

Rogers and the Packers agree to a 4 year deal for $200 million.  Rogers becomes the first $50 million player.

https://www.cbssport...=SPM-16-10abi8e'

Aaron should be able to afford the higher gas prices.

@mikeghg

#176 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 12:39 PM

Can't believe they drafted Jordan Love. Wonder what they could get for him?

#177 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 March 2022 - 12:45 PM

Can't believe they drafted Jordan Love. Wonder what they could get for him?

I wonder if he winds up in Pittsburgh?

@mikeghg

#178 BSLMikeFast

BSLMikeFast

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 12:54 PM

Stinks to "waste" a pick on Jordan Love, but the alternative of losing Rodgers was never a real one IMO

@MikeFastNFL

#179 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 12:55 PM

The NFL's biggest whiner takes another max deal. 

#180 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 03:29 PM

Rodgers now claiming he didn't sign a deal and the reported terms are not accurate.

Drama just follows this man wherever he goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=