SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

http://www.masnsport... ... rades.html

At least Buck has figured out that Hardy isn't a 2 hitter.

#102 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2013/01/showalter-on-hardy-lindstrom-and-trades.html

I don't know if I'd call it that. He does say that we don't have anyone that can bring to that role what Hardy did. Considering what he brought to the role was power and outs, neither of which is critical for that spot, I'm not holding my breath that someone else ends up there and Hardy is dropped far in the lineup.

#103 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,379 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2013/01/showalter-on-hardy-lindstrom-and-trades.html

"I would like to get J.J. out of the two hole. I would," Showalter said. "I think it kind of takes away from his strengths, but it may not happen. We just didn't have anybody else who could bring what he brought. We'll see. We'll see if we do it or not. There are a lot of things we have to shake out in spring training."

That quote isn't that encouraging to me. What exactly did he bring to the two hole last year?

#104 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,883 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

With Markakis back and McLouth/Reimold platooning in LF (or perhaps both playing occasionally with Reimold at DH) we'll have enough decent OBP to take care of the top 2 spots in the order. Roberts is also a potential guy for this role, although I think he starts the season as the 9th hitter until he shows he's got anything left.

#105 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

With Markakis back and McLouth/Reimold platooning in LF (or perhaps both playing occasionally with Reimold at DH) we'll have enough decent OBP to take care of the top 2 spots in the order. Roberts is also a potential guy for this role, although I think he starts the season as the 9th hitter until he shows he's got anything left.

You're assuming that Showalter doesn't put Markakis third, or even Hardy third.

#106 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

You're assuming that Showalter doesn't put Markakis third, or even Hardy third.

I'm hoping Buck is smart enough to out Nick 1 or 2.

But I worry BRob, McLouth is our 1-2.

#107 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,883 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

I really think something like this is going to be the lineup heading into the season:

Markakis
McLouth
Davis
Jones
Wieters
Betemit
Hardy
Machado
Roberts

Against lefties, Reimold bats 2nd and plays LF instead of McLouth, Machado goes up to 6th, Hardy 7th, and Valencia (or whomever the RH DH is) 8th.

#108 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

I really think something like this is going to be the lineup heading into the season:

Markakis
McLouth
Davis
Jones
Wieters
Betemit
Hardy
Machado
Roberts

Against lefties, Reimold bats 2nd and plays LF instead of McLouth, Machado goes up to 6th, Hardy 7th, and Valencia (or whomever the RH DH is) 8th.

In a lot of ways, I may actually prefer Nick batting second with Nate in front of him.

However, this lineup makes a lot of sense. I have said to bat BRob ninth, to me, that makes sense.

#109 clapdiddy

clapdiddy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

In a lot of ways, I may actually prefer Nick batting second with Nate in front of him.

However, this lineup makes a lot of sense. I have said to bat BRob ninth, to me, that makes sense.

Agree with this. Nick has historically hit his best batting second.

I also agree about Roberts hitting 9th as well.

We need to keep Hardy batting 6th or 7th.

#110 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

Agree with this. Nick has historically hit his best batting second.

I also agree about Roberts hitting 9th as well.

We need to keep Hardy batting 6th or 7th.

First or second isn't going to matter much.

I may prefer him hitting second because Nate can get on base and it leaves that hole between first and second open for Nick.

Either way, as long as Markakis hits first or second, that's all I care about...I think he is the key to the lineup, so bat him in one of 2 most important spots...and where he is obviously at his best.

#111 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,601 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

Nick was absolutely hitting the cover off the ball hitting leadoff before fat-ass ended his season. I'd put him right back there at the top of the order.

It may sound simplistic but he's our best hitter so I'd like him to get the most ABs. I'm also not quite as sold on McLouth as others. Yes, he was solid for us but this was a guy who couldn't any every day job for several years.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#112 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,379 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

Nick was absolutely hitting the cover off the ball hitting leadoff before fat-ass ended his season. I'd put him right back there at the top of the order.

It may sound simplistic but he's our best hitter so I'd like him to get the most ABs. I'm also not quite as sold on McLouth as others. Yes, he was solid for us but this was a guy who couldn't any every day job for several years.

Big difference between not being able to get a full time job and being out/playing through injuries. Had an abdominal tear (like Nick had a couple years ago, and you see what that did to HIS performance when he could come back) and a concussion.

Not that I blame you for being skeptical of him, just don't think it's fair that so many people think that if they are healthy enough to be out on the field, then they should be held accountable for their performance no matter what. Not always the case, some injuries have an impact for months after they return, just happens he had 2 of those kinds of injuries back to back.

The whole reason I believe in him is that his numbers here in the ML were EXACTLY in line with his pre-injury numbers. Can't wait to see how he does this year, I'm really curious.
@JeremyMStrain

#113 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

If Buck Showalter believes in Brian Roberts enough for him to be the starting 2B, I put a 10% chance that he isn't the leadoff hitter.

#114 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

If Buck Showalter believes in Brian Roberts enough for him to be the starting 2B, I put a 10% chance that he isn't the leadoff hitter.

Valid point. I don't know if it's 90% likely but he would be the favorite.

#115 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Agreed...and that's awful. He has done nothing for several years and you just hand him the most important spot in the lineup? Makes no sense.

I wish we would just cut him.

#116 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,883 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Agreed...and that's awful. He has done nothing for several years and you just hand him the most important spot in the lineup? Makes no sense.

I wish we would just cut him.

If you're wishing for things that aren't gonna happen, I think wishing he gets back to his 2005 form would be more productive ;)

#117 SrMeowMeow

SrMeowMeow
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

Roberts and McLouth 1-2 could easily combine for an OPS under 600 before someone in the dugout finally snaps and kidnaps them. That could sink the whole first month, and, with it, the season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=