SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

Tweet from Roch:

Asked Buck Showalter if #orioles would have to be overwhelmed by offer to trade J.J. Hardy. "What word is above "overwhelmed?"

#2 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

Tweet from Roch:

Asked Buck Showalter if #orioles would have to be overwhelmed by offer to trade J.J. Hardy. "What word is above "overwhelmed?"

I have a feeling he would say essentially the same thing if you asked that direct a question about anyone on the team.

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

I have a feeling he would say essentially the same thing if you asked that direct a question about anyone on the team.

Yea, I kind of feel the same way.

That being said, I'm guessing the Orioles put a lot more value on him than they should.

#4 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

That being said, I'm guessing the Orioles put a lot more value on him than they should.

That might be true. Especially the insistence on batting him second in the lineup. However you don't find shortstops with his power anymore.

Only five shortstops in baseball hit 20-plus home runs last season, and two of them played less than half of their games at the position (Ramirez and Zobrist). Add in his defense (third in baseball in UZR and fourth in UZR/150) and you do have a very valuable player even if he struggles to get on base.

I don't know if they're overrating him any more than anyone else on the team.

#5 SrMeowMeow

SrMeowMeow
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

Probably just posturing.

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

Tweet from Roch:

Your reading too much into it. He is building up his guy. I know you want them to trade JJ, but there is nothing wrong with what Buck said.
@mikeghg

#7 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

Your reading too much into it. He is building up his guy. I know you want them to trade JJ, but there is nothing wrong with what Buck said.

This.
I mean come on man, why would he say anything else?

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

Or maybe they see a rock solid gold glove SS, who hits 20 plus homers.
Shortstop is one of 2 key defensive positions on the field and the Orioles have a defensive stud at both.
JJ is very valuable,
@mikeghg

#9 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:33 AM

I can tell you this, Buck values him more than SG and a lot of the posters here.

#10 Domenic

Domenic

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 717 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

I'm not sure how you overvalue a gold glove player, but if Detroit wanted to send the Orioles Fielder for Hardy I'm sure that they'd take that (as I'm sure would most of the fans). Detroit would probably say that was an insulting offer, and the Orioles' response could then be "now you know how we feel about your offer of Porcello for Hardy."
@DomenicVadala

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

This.
I mean come on man, why would he say anything else?

He doesn't have to go as far as he did.

I have little doubt that the Orioles overvalue him....and many of the players on this team.

#12 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

I'm not sure how you overvalue a gold glove player, but if Detroit wanted to send the Orioles Fielder for Hardy I'm sure that they'd take that (as I'm sure would most of the fans). Detroit would probably say that was an insulting offer, and the Orioles' response could then be "now you know how we feel about your offer of Porcello for Hardy."

I strongly disagree that the O's would want Fielder with his current contract attached.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#13 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,379 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

They didnt even offer porcello for hardy. Porcello was going to the cubs and det told them to go get hardy to make a deal happen.
@JeremyMStrain

#14 bmoreb

bmoreb
  • Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

I have no idea what other teams may or may not have offered us for Hardy, but he's well worth the 7mil we're paying him.

#15 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

I have no idea what other teams may or may not have offered us for Hardy, but he's well worth the 7mil we're paying him.

No question about it. Buck is supporting one of his better player. Not a darn thing wrong with that. The comment hurts nothing, it builds up a key member of the Orioles.
@mikeghg

#16 TomPeace

TomPeace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

Showalter values chemistry

#17 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

Showalter values chemistry

Yet Reynolds, who certainly seemed popular in the clubhouse, didn't even rate a courtesy phone call when they non-tendered him.

DD values OBP which is a skill Hardy is sorely deficient in.

Only reason I am not strongly advocating moving Hardy is the lack of quality third base options at the MLB level.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#18 Domenic

Domenic

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 717 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

They didnt even offer porcello for hardy. Porcello was going to the cubs and det told them to go get hardy to make a deal happen.

That was this past week; earlier in the off season (just before the winter meetings) Detroit offered Porcello for Hardy straight up.
@DomenicVadala

#19 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

http://baltimorespor...uing-j-j-hardy/

I thought the same exact thing (as Rob who started a thread about this) when I read the interview.

Feel free to merge this into Rob's thread.

#20 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

http://baltimorespor...uing-j-j-hardy/

I thought the same exact thing (as Rob who started a thread about this) when I read the interview.

Feel free to merge this into Rob's thread.

You said "Over the past three seasons, 2009 to 2012". That's four seasons. It's interesting to note, though, that if you do make it three seasons (2010-2012) he's sixth in WAR. And of course the two years before that bad 2009 season he was a legitimate star.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=