#41 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

Brazil up 29-25 with 4 mts left in the 2nd.

I doubt this game ends up being closer than about 20 points, but that was a well played first quarter by Brazil. The US team just has such an athletic defense. They're smothering. As long as they don't get too 1 on 1 offensively, they shouldn't have games that are all that close.

@AdamWolff

#42 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:51 PM

FWIW, the line for tonight's game was USA -33.

#43 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:57 PM

I doubt this game ends up being closer than about 20 points, but that was a well played first quarter by Brazil. The US team just has such an athletic defense. They're smothering. As long as they don't get too 1 on 1 offensively, they shouldn't have games that are all that close.

That defensive pressure from the US down the stretch in the 2nd quarter here, was an example of why I'm disappointed that Rubio is out for Spain. Obviously the Spanish lose a ball handler, but they also lose that additional depth. That pressure can just wear teams down.

#44 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:04 PM

Not a great outing by the USA, but they showed some resilience by coming back and winning relatively easily.

#45 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

Not a great outing by the USA, but they showed some resilience by coming back and winning relatively easily.

Watched the first half they just looked almost lackidasical in the beginning. Side note that starting PG for Brazil could play in the NBA.
@JeremyMStrain

#46 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,441 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:55 PM

I hope this time around we get to see more live sporting events. Even with the time difference, I could easily stream many of the events on the interweb while at work if they make it available. The prime time coverage on NBC is just unwatchable. You already know who wins. And an hour of broadcast consists of about 50% commercials, 25% fluff stories, 20% Bob Costas' blathering, and 5% of actual competition.

#47 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:04 AM

PressBox: Maryland's 15 Best (ever) Olympians
http://www.pressboxo...ory.cfm?id=9087

#48 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

PressBox: Maryland's 15 Best (ever) Olympians
http://www.pressboxo...ory.cfm?id=9087

No surprise with that #1 choice!
@levineps

#49 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,441 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

Assuming the US wins gold this year, have to put Carmelo Anthony in there somewhere.

#50 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

Assuming the US wins gold this year, have to put Carmelo Anthony in there somewhere.

What about Durant?

#51 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2... ... ?hpt=hp_t2

Talking about 2012 vs 1992. It's based on the idea that athletes continue to get better.

#52 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

It would be tight between the Dream Teams. Play a 7 game series on neutral court and it goes 6 or 7 games. People overrate the orig Dream Team. Let me me clear that up, they overrate them in regards to playing a real, legit team like this 2012 Dream Team. This is a legit team. They sure as heck wouldn't run the 2012 off the court, in fact they would need to slow down the 2012 team. I'll certainly take the athleticism of the 2012 team.

#53 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,441 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:52 PM

What about Durant?

This will be his first Olympics, so not yet. But in a few years I could definitely see bumping someone from the list for him.

#54 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

USA beat Great Britain 118-78 in exhibition. Deron Williams had 19 points.

Did they change the rules for FIBA? I saw highlights of USA-GB and they had the normal US lane lines/dimensions. I thought international basketball had the diagonal ones.

#55 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

Depending on how the 1500 meters shakes out, Matt Centrowitz could be on this list after these Olympics.

#56 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

http://espn.go.com/o... ... e-olympics

Guor Marial ran for his life to escape a Sudanese child labor camp. Now he will get to run at the Olympics.

Marial's heartwarming rise from a fearful kid who hid in a cave, fled his war-torn homeland and finally arrived in the United States as a refugee took another incredible turn Saturday.

Despite having no passport and officially no country -- and at one time very little hope -- the 28-year-old marathoner was cleared by the IOC to compete at the London Games under the Olympic flag.

"The voice of South Sudan has been heard," Marial told The Associated Press from his home in Flagtaff, Ariz. "The South Sudan has finally got a spot in the world community. Even though I will not carry their flag in this Olympic Games, the country itself is there.

"The dream has come true. The hope of South Sudan is alive."

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#57 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:52 AM

I didn't understand something from this story...

On the one hand, he doesn't want to represent Sudan, after the civil war there. On the other hand, he can't represent South Sudan? Is that because there is no South Sudanese delegation? Are they not accepted by the IOC yet, even though they are recognized officially as a country?

And he can't represent the US yet because his citizenship hasn't come through. But which would he represent if he had the choice of both South Sudan and the US?

Whatever the case, I'm glad the IOC got one thing right. They sure as hell have seriously blown it by rejecting the minute of silence for the 40th anniversary of the Munich massacre.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#58 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:18 AM

You know, I don't always agree with Bob Costas, but he certainly lives and broadcasts according to his conscience.

http://www.hollywood... ... nbc-350265

His Sandusky interview was direct and fearless. His strong stance on the IOC's rejection of a moment of silence to commemorate 40 years since the Munich massacre is just icing on the cake.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#59 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

You know, I don't always agree with Bob Costas, but he certainly lives and broadcasts according to his conscience.

http://www.hollywood... ... nbc-350265

His Sandusky interview was direct and fearless. His strong stance on the IOC's rejection of a moment of silence to commemorate 40 years since the Munich massacre is just icing on the cake.

Nice!!

Kudos, Mr. Costas.
@beginthebegin71

#60 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

After jumping out to a larger early lead yesterday, the US held on for an 86-80 win over Argentina in Spain.
http://www.nbcolympi...-argentina.html

The US won on the boards 41-38. Argentina and the US both had 13 turnovers. Argentina was 9 of 25 from 3, 19 of 29 from the foul-line. The US was 13 of 34 from 3, 15 of 26 from the foul-line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=