#41 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:55 AM

Agreed, but there's really nowhere for him, short of a platoon with McLouth in LF, I'm not even sure how he'll play that. He's a 3B and hopefully we don't see him there, short of Manny moving to SS. 1B is obviously occupied. So he's depth in case something happens in these spots. If he could somehow play 2B that be great.

He could be a DH. And after this year, I think I've finally learned the value of a good DH lol. I wouldn't even switch him to a position unless I was confident he could be above-average defensively there. Interesting thought regarding him moving to corner outfield... 

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#42 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:17 AM

My fear is DD tries to sell Valencia as the fulltime DH for '14. That would not be smart. He's not going to hit RHp very well over a full season of ABs.

#43 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

I'm not at all concerned with Duquette trying to pass Valencia off as an everyday player.

He'll be back as a platoon guy, but that's it.  Not sure on his option status.  Hopefully he has one left and can be shuttled up and down again, but I think he's probably out.  He was optioned in 2013 and 2012, but not in 2011.  Not sure if he used one in 2010 or earlier.

#44 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:46 AM

Valencia is intriguing considering his once top'ish (organizationally with the Twins, not in MLB) prospect status. Perhaps he's figured some things out and he's someone we can rely on a little more. So far his last few games vs. righties, he's passed the test, but it's still early. He shouldn't be counted on for any permanent job to say the least, but I'd definitely try and bring him back for a similar role next year and see if we can catch lightning in a bottle. Stranger things have happened.

#45 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:41 AM

From Ken Rosenthal's article on 9/16:

Just pure speculation...

Chris Tillman is from Orange County, maybe the Angels will be interested in him. I think the Marlins want younger players, he'll be 30 next year. But hey if they can give us some prospects, I'd be for that trade.

@levineps

#46 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:46 AM

Valencia is intriguing considering his once top'ish (organizationally with the Twins, not in MLB) prospect status. Perhaps he's figured some things out and he's someone we can rely on a little more. So far his last few games vs. righties, he's passed the test, but it's still early. He shouldn't be counted on for any permanent job to say the least, but I'd definitely try and bring him back for a similar role next year and see if we can catch lightning in a bottle. Stranger things have happened.

It seems hard to fill our DH needs, so this is a possible solution. Now if Urritua can be the LH version of the platoon that be ideal. I think unlike Henry, Valencia isn't as one-dimensional. He could replace Manny if necessary, play 1B to allow CD a day off or DH, possibly LF. So yeah if we re-sign Nate or even if we don't, maybe a -platoon there as well. Can he somehow play 2B at worst, that's a plattoon with Flaherty.

@levineps

#47 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:42 PM

What's his contract status? 

@BaltimoreDavey

#48 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

It seems hard to fill our DH needs, so this is a possible solution. Now if Urritua can be the LH version of the platoon that be ideal. I think unlike Henry, Valencia isn't as one-dimensional. He could replace Manny if necessary, play 1B to allow CD a day off or DH, possibly LF. So yeah if we re-sign Nate or even if we don't, maybe a -platoon there as well. Can he somehow play 2B at worst, that's a plattoon with Flaherty.

I'd be extremely content with that. 

@BaltimoreDavey

#49 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:35 PM

Arbitration eligible for the first time next year, I can't find the info on options, but I don't think he has any left. If he does, he has one.

@levineps

#50 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:40 PM

Arbitration eligible for the first time next year, I can't find the info on options, but I don't think he has any left. If he does, he has one.

Ah, OK. Always hard to remember with DFA guys. 

I'd try him at 2B and LF/RF. Perfect platoon spots. 

@BaltimoreDavey

#51 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

Might qualify as a Super-2 dependng on how many service days he ends up with for the year.  He started the year at 2 years and 20 days.  He won't get near enough time to get to over 3 years, but he may be able to get into the 2 years and 120 day range that he'd need to be a Super-2.  By my quick count he's been up here for about 83 days this year, and there are 12 more left in the season, which we get him to about 2.115.

So I think he's likely to end up just short of being a Super-2, so he'll be back at essentially the minimum salary.  I'm also unsure of his option status.  He was optioned in 2012 and 2013, but I'm not sure if he was optioned in 2010 or prior.  If he's got one left, then he can be sent up and down next year just like this season. 

#52 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

Only if he qualifies as a Super-2. 

#53 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:28 AM

Only if he qualifies as a Super-2. 

Don't think he will. Could be wrong. But do we keep Valencia in hopes that he can be a very good platoon player or trade him when his value could be the highest that it's going to be? 

@BaltimoreDavey

#54 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:33 PM

Don't think he will. Could be wrong. But do we keep Valencia in hopes that he can be a very good platoon player or trade him when his value could be the highest that it's going to be? 

Keep him and use him against LHP if we can't find a regular DH.  He's got no real trade value.  Teams know who he is.

#55 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:51 PM

Keep him and use him against LHP if we can't find a regular DH.  He's got no real trade value.  Teams know who he is.

I still like him as a platoon option at second or left field. 

@BaltimoreDavey

#56 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

I still like him as a platoon option at second or left field.

He can't play those positions. You can try that experiment, but it's unlikely to yield positive results. He was bad at 3B when he played their regularly in Minnesota, he's not going to have any real chance of sticking at 2B. LF may be more likely, it's an easier switch and plenty of guys move from the infield to outfield, but it's still not a terribly likely outcome.

#57 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:22 PM

He's a good DH vs LHP. That's why I was happy when they got him and that's why I think they should keep him around unless they get a full time DH this off season (which I think is highly unlikely). I really think a Betemit/Valencia platoon could have been very good at DH if Betemit didn't get hurt but we never got a chance to see it. I like him a lot more than Pearce.

#58 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:48 AM

The Orioles should at least send Valencia to winter league and let him try second base and left field. If he could play either of the two positions, makes him a legitimate bench player. I don't like having guys who can't play in the field on the bench. Really makes it hard to pinch hit/pinch run for guys. 

@BaltimoreDavey

#59 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

As we've already touched upon, have to think the push to bring him back just got stronger. He's under team control already, but he should be brought back regardless if he's Super 2 or not.

@levineps

#60 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:14 PM

Surprised not on topic board but wondering what he would bring at deadline?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=