68 replies to this topic

#21 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

At his age he should be able to regain the form that made him one of top vote getters for Rookie of the Year a few years ago. - Duquette

Jesus, that's terrifying. Half of his quotes are terrifying though.
@JeffLongBP

#22 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

Jesus, that's terrifying. Half of his quotes are terrifying though.

Yea...Sometimes you really have to wonder if he believes half of the crap he says.

#23 dandrews

dandrews
  • Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

I don't see this as any reason for them to trade Hardy.

Valencia has essentially become a one trick pony with the bat. He can hit some HR, but can't hit RHP and even struggled last year against LHP. He's a zero risk pickup, that maybe can platoon with Betemit or come off the bench. Otherwise, I wouldn't look much into this. If anything, he has been exposed so much that his value is almost miniscule. Boston wouldn't have given him up for just cash if that wasn't the case.

Exactly. He's a one trick pony, and that trick real isn't all that special. Nothing more than spring training fodder.

McLouth was lightning in a bottle, but at least he had a history of all star caliber play. Valencia had one good rookie campaign with an inflated BABIP. Even if his batting average comes back up, he's a guy with very limited power, poor defense, and has a 5.8% career walk rate.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@dandrews66

#24 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

I think it is a depth move nothing more. I do not think it has anything to do with Hardy, at least I hope not because Danny Boy is not that good.
@mikeghg

#25 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

Yeah, its depth that is likely to start at AAA but with a history of some success in the Major Leagues. These are the type of moves we all wished AM made more of in his tenure. Simply improving the talent on the 40 man roster in case of injuries or lightning in a bottle. There is a big difference between making this trade expecting Valencia to be a contributor to the '13 Orioles and making this trade as insurance and taking a shot in the dark. I have no problem with these crapshoot moves that only have considerable more upside than downside.

#26 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

Yeah, its depth that is likely to start at AAA but with a history of some success in the Major Leagues. These are the type of moves we all wished AM made more of in his tenure. Simply improving the talent on the 40 man roster in case of injuries or lightning in a bottle. There is a big difference between making this trade expecting Valencia to be a contributor to the '13 Orioles and making this trade as insurance and taking a shot in the dark. I have no problem with these crapshoot moves that only have considerable more upside than downside.

+1

#27 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

The Twins were really counting on this guy to come up big for them, but he was a flop. Hopefully we can make him work. He certainly has potential.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#28 scOtt

scOtt
  • Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationWayne's Bar and Grill, PA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:49 AM

Yea...Sometimes you really have to wonder if he believes half of the crap he says.

I'm not at all down on Dan... but Forrest Gump or Rain Man come to mind.
And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on you grooving.

#29 Kevin Ebert

Kevin Ebert
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:48 AM

Here's the link to the write up on the blog portion of the site.

http://baltimorespor... ... -valencia/
@BSLKevinEbert

#30 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

Some other aspects about Valencia that I failed to mention on the podcast:

He has never walked enough his entire career.
The 3 seasons in the bigs:

2010 - 6.2%
2011 - 6.6%
2012 - 1.9%

Walked even less in the minors
Not a huge deal, but not a guy that I necessarily think the Orioles need. Either way, they essentially got him for nothing so it is fine.

A person within the industry told me that he has "Slider Bat-Speed"
What he means by that is he can catch up to "slider" speed pitches, but is struggling against higher velocity fastballs or other pitches. The bat speed is just not there in his view to be consistent.

#31 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

Some other aspects about Valencia that I failed to mention on the podcast:

He has never walked enough his entire career.
The 3 seasons in the bigs:

2010 - 6.2%
2011 - 6.6%
2012 - 1.9%

Walked even less in the minors

That's ok, we have plenty of other guys on this roster that can draw walks, like Nick Markakis and...um...well...
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#32 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
Names in records obtained by Yahoo! Sports also include Yankees catcher Francisco Cervelli and Orioles third baseman Danny Valencia.

BREAKING: Ryan Braun's name is in Biogenesis records and MLB will investigate his association with PED clinic. News: http://yhoo.it/VSa8bF

Yea, so that's not very good.

#33 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

I wonder if it's a coincidence the O's claim a guy that serves pretty much the same role Valencia would, the day Valencia gets associated with this PED mess?
@JeremyMStrain

#34 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

I wonder if it's a coincidence the O's claim a guy that serves pretty much the same role Valencia would, the day Valencia gets associated with this PED mess?

On one hand I don't believe in coincidences on the other hand DD brings home more strays then the Swiss Family Robinson.
  • SammyBirdland likes this

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#35 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

Canzler does the same stuff that Valencia and Pearce do. Couldn't they have claimed Canzler before the Yanks picked him up last time? Seems like more than coincidence to me.

#36 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

Valencia has been optioned to Norfolk.

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:49 AM

Valencia has certainly made the most of his 125 ab's this  year.

.988 OPS overall, (1.083 vs. LHP).

If I were Valencia, I'd want to go play 2nd base in a Winter League somewhere.

#38 MKlein76

MKlein76

Sports Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationGlen Burnie, MD

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:37 AM

From Ken Rosenthal's article on 9/16:

Danny Valencia’s late surge with the Orioles could make him an appealing option for the Marlins, who will be looking for help at third base this offseason. Valencia was born in Miami, grew up in Boca Raton and attended the University of Miami.

@MKlein76

#39 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:45 AM

I'd like to keep him for next year to see if he's actually figured out how to hit right handed pitching (I have zero doubts that he can hit left handed pitching), but I've got a feeling that someone could think he's more than a DH. 

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#40 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:48 AM

I'd like to keep him for next year to see if he's actually figured out how to hit right handed pitching (I have zero doubts that he can hit left handed pitching), but I've got a feeling that someone could think he's more than a DH. 

Agreed, but there's really nowhere for him, short of a platoon with McLouth in LF, I'm not even sure how he'll play that. He's a 3B and hopefully we don't see him there, short of Manny moving to SS. 1B is obviously occupied. So he's depth in case something happens in these spots. If he could somehow play 2B that be great.

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=